Game Day (Preseason): Suns (0-0) @ Blazers (0-0), Tues 10/3/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Game Day (Preseason): Suns (0-0) @ Blazers (0-0), Tues 10/3/17

Post by O_Gardino »

Funky stat of the game: Bledsoe was +12 in 14 minutes, while Lillard was +12 in 21 minutes.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:Do we know why Jones Jr didn't play much?
I didn't hear anything official, but I think he was just eh odd man out. I think it's important to Watson to establish Jackson as a pillar of the team (40 minutes) and to find out early what he has in Bender and Daniels (30 each). I think next game or the game after, we see more DJJ and one of those guys sits.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, I was thinking it might have just been Daniels got it going. I missed the first half so I didn't know if he got hurt or something.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

ShelC wrote:What were the red flags, if any? I thought there were medical issues with him?
He was an obese 8th grader weighing over 300 pounds. And for that scouts questioned whether or not he could keep the weight off which tells you they knew nothing of his work ethic. He's not super athletic. His lateral movement on D is slow as of right now. He's not 7 foot tall. Other than that I'm not sure. I watched every college game he played. His defense wasn't great but sometimes I felt like he conceded 1 on 1 to avoid picking up a foul. The way Purdue's coach kind of works is he'l sub a player every time he gets a foul to avoid picking up another quick one. Kind of a momentum killer IMO. Swanigan wanted in every minute of every game and he got noticeably irritated when he was subbed out. He had the best conditioning on the team and was known to workout after games.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

OE32

Post by OE32 »

O_Gardino wrote:Funky stat of the game: Bledsoe was +12 in 14 minutes, while Lillard was +12 in 21 minutes.
Encouraging for those of us who prefer not to tank. The team went as the point guard went tonight. Bledsoe and James were great, while Ulis nearly sank us.

Jackson started the third in place of Chandler: Bled-Book-TJ-JJ-Chriss. I wonder if there is any way Earl ever lets another player start ahead of Marquese.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

OE32 wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:Funky stat of the game: Bledsoe was +12 in 14 minutes, while Lillard was +12 in 21 minutes.
Encouraging for those of us who prefer not to tank. The team went as the point guard went tonight. Bledsoe and James were great, while Ulis nearly sank us.

Jackson started the third in place of Chandler: Bled-Book-TJ-JJ-Chriss. I wonder if there is any way Earl ever lets another player start ahead of Marquese.
When Len came in they played better too. Chriss didn't have a good game and I don't know how he makes the Suns better as a starter. I'd rather play Warren at the 4 and Len at the 5 right now.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
OE32 wrote:

When Len came in they played better too. Chriss didn't have a good game and I don't know how he makes the Suns better as a starter. I'd rather play Warren at the 4 and Len at the 5 right now.
edit: what he said.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

OE32 wrote:

I dunno. I think it's odd. How could both starting PGs be +12? Either they didn't share the court much, or Lillard was +24 in the 7 minutes he played without Bledsoe. At least one of those guys feasted on reserves.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

OE32 wrote:

I think tanking depends on our record at 1/3. Start well and no tank. Start bad and tank.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

We need to tank. This team is going nowhere without another blue collar prospect or a young star. Getting a high pick gives us a much better chance at both.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ring_Wanted wrote:We need to tank. This team is going nowhere without another blue collar prospect or a young star. Getting a high pick gives us a much better chance at both.
Exactly. If you are not already set with the players on your roster to win big (or maybe 1 player away), you shouldn't be trying to scrape into the playoffs.

carey

Post by carey »

I would rather a blue chip prospect. We have enough blue collar guys.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Just watched the 2nd half...

Thought Chriss was more active and noticeable in the first few minutes of the 3rd. He looks to be in better shape than summer league but bigger than last year. Hopefully he shed that extra weight he was carrying in Vegas. He couldn't handle a bigger center like Nurkic but I don't see a problem with him playing some 5 depending on the matchup. He just not a bouncy, high energy big which is bothersome.

You could see Watson expeirmenting with the lineups. Started out with Bledsoe, Booker, Jackson, Warren and Chriss, then halfway thru the 3rd went with Ulis, Booker, Jackson, Bender and Len. You can see the potential with both and those lineups make a lot of sense. I wish the first, smaller lineup played faster and got more baskets in transition. They should be flying up and down the floor. But they were running their plays well and any guy can grab the rebound and bring it up court. We have the versatility in that regard, we just lack the shooting. Booker's the only true deep threat there.

I liked the 2nd unit moving the ball and they played with better energy and with more of an edge. The offensive sets were crisp, we just couldn't knock down shots. Len has gotten a lot bigger and is a presence down there. I think the game is maybe slowing down for him. Ulis plays hard on both sides of the ball, Len was mixing it up, Benders another big body in the paint who can keep a rebound alive.

Our offensive sets have been really good. We're making 4-5 passes and getting to the open guy. We just don't have enough shooters. They ball gets swung around and hits an open Warren, Jackson, Chriss, Bender...you just don't feel good about it going in. Booker and Daniels are our only legit threats. Daniels can really shoot it. I'd almost think about going small with Bledsoe, Daniels, Booker, Jackson and Chriss/Bender just to get the extra shooter out there. Mike James is also a baller. I really like his game and his competitiveness.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:I would rather a blue chip prospect. We have enough blue collar guys.
ooops

I knew it was one or the other but I missed hahaha