Steve Nash - The Finish Line

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Xylus

Re: Steve Nash - The Finish Line

Post by Xylus »

----

Oh yeah, this topic is about Steve Nash.

There are times throughout the videos where I genuinely feel for the guy. I'd love nothing more than to see him close out his career healthy and engaged in what his team is doing. This might sound callous, but I'm surprised at how little sympathy I feel for him due to 2 main things:

1. He's a Laker.
2. He never closed the deal and won a championship.

For some reason, I've always felt fonder of Amare after his departure than I ever have of Nash. Amare's story is much more tragic to me, because his prime was cut short by things out of his control. Nash has been past his prime for years now. His devolution as an athlete is natural.

Culburn369

Post by Culburn369 »

^^^X, torturing logic till it's DOA.

You come North of the Picket Wire and I'll show you justice!

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

tee hee

Culburn369

Post by Culburn369 »

^I'm home, X!!! My God, it's been years since I stepped down from the plane, and there to greet me is my mama & papa. And there down the lane runs Katie, hair of brown & her pocketbook empty!!!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I like Pau. I'd be happy to have him as a Sun, even now at his current age/state. I just don't think I would give up an asset as valuable as a 1st-round pick in this loaded draft, plus players, for him. If we want him that badly, we can chase after him later.

And my take is that being "slightly better" is not a desirable goal for us presently. If we wanted that, we should have kept Gortat.

Culburn369

Post by Culburn369 »

Mori Chu wrote:I like Pau. I'd be happy to have him as a Sun, even now at his current age/state. I just don't think I would give up an asset as valuable as a 1st-round pick in this loaded draft, plus players, for him. If we want him that badly, we can chase after him later.

And my take is that being "slightly better" is not a desirable goal for us presently. If we wanted that, we should have kept Gortat.
For a legitimate opportunity at a ring you said "no" because of a 30th pick. Doesn't stand the test of common sense, Mori. I do not understand why you guys are so damn stubborn on this point. You have no one at center. And he'd a been a wonderful addition for this market. They'd a lapped it up. A white man at center with proven credentials. And I frankly believe he'd a signed here afterward, no problem. You're not going to get anything at 30 to blunt a championship run in 6 weeks.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Culburn369 wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:What do you mean, cubs? McDonough is doing a great job so far. Babby's nothing special, but at least he's figured out to back away and leave the player talent evaluation to somebody who knows how to do it.
Len is a disaster.

Gasol would've been a fine addition and without a might of risk. He'd a been driven to show D'Antoni and Kobe and the Lakers they were wrong. He'd a cost you next to nothing now and he'd a been a sweet acquisition next season. You were reckless there and wrong. But, you wanted to smight the Lakers and deny them, rub their nose in it. In other words you took it personal instead of taking it as business.
Len is only 20 years old and you cannot teach his height or length; Anthony Bennett is a disaster (sorry Swing). We weren't gonna bail the Lakers out financially, and help out their draft position while also giving them a pick, which I submit they wanted the Washington pick. The Suns weren't beating the Heat with Dragic, Bledsoe, and Gasol, sorry Cubby.

Culburn369

Post by Culburn369 »

iLLmatic wrote:
Culburn369 wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:What do you mean, cubs? McDonough is doing a great job so far. Babby's nothing special, but at least he's figured out to back away and leave the player talent evaluation to somebody who knows how to do it.
Len is a disaster.

Gasol would've been a fine addition and without a might of risk. He'd a been driven to show D'Antoni and Kobe and the Lakers they were wrong. He'd a cost you next to nothing now and he'd a been a sweet acquisition next season. You were reckless there and wrong. But, you wanted to smight the Lakers and deny them, rub their nose in it. In other words you took it personal instead of taking it as business.
Len is only 20 years old and you cannot teach his height or length; Anthony Bennett is a disaster (sorry Swing). We weren't gonna bail the Lakers out financially, and help out their draft position while also giving them a pick, which I submit they wanted the Washington pick. The Suns weren't beating the Heat with Dragic, Bledsoe, and Gasol, sorry Cubby.
The Spurs weren't supposed to beat them last June either, but, did, for about 2 minutes. & I didn't say you would ring. I said Gasol would afford you an opportunity to ring. And it would not have bailed us out. It was a $5 million trade off. Whoop dee do.

Do you have any actual support for the (Washington pick) referral, or, are you just squatting on the plains?

Dragic, Bledsoe, Green, Gasol, et al ain't nothing to sneeze at--at least till you get to San Antonio & points East. Of course it would have hinged on Bledsoe returning which is a given in order to make the discussion relevant.

Anyway, how/when will we know/judge if you made the wrong decision?

Kidd Karma

Post by Kidd Karma »

Nash has had a great career. Remembered his days at Santa Clara, taking down Kidd's Cal Bears their sophomore season, an upset of Arizona in the tourney. Had early signs, toughness, got the most out of his gifts. Was not recruited out of high school. NorCal was lucky to have had Kidd and Nash run through there when we did.

And this guy battled Nash for the 4 years they were in college, amazing hang time:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

KK in the house!
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I liked the first episode better than the second. Both are riveting, though. Nash is a fascinating figure. I feel for him. He may have already played his last NBA game.

In retrospect, we totally "sold" on Nash at the right time. (Ain't that right, Cubby?)

Culburn369

Post by Culburn369 »

^True, but you ain't seen nary a red dime of profit yet, and I'm half way thru.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Still think staying here would have led to a very different path for Nash. No fluke injury, while remaining with our training staff.... who knows? Butterfly effect and all...

The worst thing to me, has always been how badly Blanks and the FO handled the whole thing in general, even if it was the right decision.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Phoenix219 wrote:Still think staying here would have led to a very different path for Nash. No fluke injury, while remaining with our training staff.... who knows? Butterfly effect and all...

The worst thing to me, has always been how badly Blanks and the FO handled the whole thing in general, even if it was the right decision.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DHIqUkmj-o

Culburn369

Post by Culburn369 »

Phoenix219 wrote:Still think staying here would have led to a very different path for Nash. No fluke injury, while remaining with our training staff.... who knows? Butterfly effect and all...

You're saying if he'd a stayed here he would not have gotten injured? That is ridiculous. & a broken leg on a 20 year old is totally different on a 40 year old. I didn't like the deal to start with, but, that's just because I hated getting into bed with you, but, Hell, I didn't like getting into bed with you after Horry toweled Ainge, but, that turned out swell. To judge the Nash transaction now in hindsight is pure horseshit. I will not do it.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Culburn369 wrote:^True, but you ain't seen nary a red dime of profit yet, and I'm half way thru.
We've got Archie in the bag and a 6th pick comin..

Culburn369

Post by Culburn369 »

iLLmatic wrote:
Culburn369 wrote:^True, but you ain't seen nary a red dime of profit yet, and I'm half way thru.
We've got Archie in the bag and a 6th pick comin..
A jumping jack dunker. Whoop-dee-doo.

And you ain't got the 6th pick comin'. We do. You'll get next year's first rounder and we should be out of the Lottery by then, God willing.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

I was referring to your pick next year homie.

Culburn369

Post by Culburn369 »

iLLmatic wrote:I was referring to your pick next year homie.
No way it's in the Lottery. Kobe didn't permit it last time. He won't permit it next time. You ain't gettin' no Lottery pick. No.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Yes, that is how I feel. It was a random injury, a fluke; That bone, that nerve, would have assumedly *never been injured* in Phoenix; Maybe another injury, but that can't be known. What is known is that *this* particular one would have been avoided. His career would have continued at the slowly downward tragectory that it was going at, not the instant end of his career.

I wanted to see Nash succeed in LA with our offense; I held no hate, as long as I could attribute Lakers success to Nash in place of Kobe.

I am of the mindset that Nash should have retired in Phoenix, and finished his career here, even if it meant coming off the bench behind Dragic, or playing the 2 next to him (or vice versa.) They never told him they were moving in another direction; They didn't discuss the matter in any way. They just proceeded in a new direction without so much as a phone call, leaving Nash to take the hint. Thats not the way you treat a local legend.