Game Day (Preseason): Jazz (3-0) @ Suns (1-1), Mon 10/9/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
virtual9mm

Re: Game Day: Jazz (3-0) @ Suns (1-1), Mon 10/9/17

Post by virtual9mm »

Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:What’s with the constant dream of trading Bledsoe to Cleveland? They have Rose and IT.
And Wade. They're not trading for Bled.
Lol you are right. Brain fart here.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

They'd trade us Isaiah Thomas for Bledsoe. ^_^

I agree about Len being probably our best preseason player thus far, aside from maybe Booker. Jackson has been good, too; been fairly impressed by him. And Daniels is a breath of fresh air, exactly the kind of player we need.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I'm always embarrassed when we lose to a team that starts Joe Ingles. The worst part is, we are really playing our top guys a lot of minutes. Jingling Joe played the most minutes of any Jazz starter (21), and still played less than any of our starters except Bled (also 21). Well, we got jingled all right.

I'm trying not to jump to conclusions based on the preseason, but I'm starting to feel like Watson won't last the year.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Joe Ingles is good and the jazz are crazy deep

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

virtual9mm wrote:
The Bobster wrote:There is no reason to hang on to Bledsoe, Chandler or Dudley.

This team isn't going anywhere this year.
Trade Bledsoe for whatever you can get. Perhaps he can go to Cleveland in return for the right to choose between the Suns and Nets picks + Channing Frye. I like what I see from both of his backups, and we can let Ulis and James fight it out.
That ship sailed in the offseason, wonder what kind of offers we declined, if any. Still, Bledsoe is head and shoulders above "whatever you can get" value.
Last edited by Aztec Sunsfan on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Bledsoe just isn't a winning player right now (maybe ever). I don't think he's found that balance between scoring and getting others involved. I wish he'd almost say "fuck it" and just try and score 30 a night. At least it would give us a legit scoring presence, generate some excitement, keep the opposing defenses on their heels and maybe open things up on the perimeter. Could also help his trade value. He's become a middling player and it seems like his instincts (which were never very good as a PG) have been taken away from him.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

ShelC wrote:Bledsoe just isn't a winning player right now (maybe ever). I don't think he's found that balance between scoring and getting others involved. I wish he'd almost say "f*** it" and just try and score 30 a night. At least it would give us a legit scoring presence, generate some excitement, keep the opposing defenses on their heels and maybe open things up on the perimeter. Could also help his trade value. He's become a middling player and it seems like his instincts (which were never very good as a PG) have been taken away from him.
That's on coaching. Bledsoe, Len, Bender... the list goes on, of middling players that could develop into something really special on the right enviroment. The obvious example are the Spurs, but even a notch or two below, that is highly posible. Send them to Stevens in Boston, Carlisle in Dallas, or even Utah, and see...

On the other hand put Tony Parker or Gobert under Watson... :?

We HOPE for Watson to develop into some competent coach, but he is doing it at the cost of failed talent under his tutelage. I like his speech, but he is not doing any of our players better, it's a darwinian enviroment what is bringing up Booker, some Warren and Little else, the rest are drowning.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

I would not be surprised if Coach Watson feels a bit of heat.

32 turnovers is embarrassing for any team at this level. Management may not care about winning, but I'm sure they don't want to see us getting killed every other night.

There hasn't been a head coach firing in over a year. The league is due. January is the earliest I could imagine it happening.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

And who's under him? We don't even develop coaches. Jay Triano has head coaching experience from the Raptors, but he's not exactly a thrilling name.

I don't think Watson is going anywhere. We'll trade our vets, dump some more, give it another year and then see what happens. Remember, it's the #Timeline.

Boston didn't have a timeline. Miami didn't have a timeline. They rebuilt on the fly and still have young talent, picks and vets.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm not impressed by his development management of the players. I think he's doing Booker a disservice with how he's handling him, same goes for Chriss, Bender, Len, and soon to be Jackson. I feel like only Warren has really blossomed, and only by his own perseverance even though he was held back by having PJ Tucker ahead of him.

I'm not impressed by his play calling and sets that they run. Even without Gobert on the back end, you could see that the Jazz knew exactly what the Suns were trying to do and where they were going to go and how to disrupt them and force them into bad decisions, because it's created tunnel vision within the team. It's become as predictable as the sunrise. I never thought of Watson as a particularly creative pg and I don't think he's creative as a coach either.

I would lay about half of those turnovers last night on Watson's shoulders, except he seems to be too arrogant and stubborn to ever accept that he possibly could be wrong. It was flat out embarrassing last night and this #TheTimeline is going to be way longer and bumpier if Watson is driving this train, imo.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I just see Watson as a college coach or an assistant/player development guy to teach young players how to live on the road, how to practice, how to prep for games, etc.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

A lot to agree with here. When I heard that the prescription for our turnover bug was believed by our staff to be "more speed", I couldn't help but hang my head. The problem is clearly not that we don't play fast enough. That's not what a good coach sounds like.

EDC

Post by EDC »

OE32 wrote:A lot to agree with here. When I heard that the prescription for our turnover bug was believed by our staff to be "more speed", I couldn't help but hang my head. The problem is clearly not that we don't play fast enough. That's not what a good coach sounds like.
Did they really say that? *sigh*

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

EDC wrote:
OE32 wrote:A lot to agree with here. When I heard that the prescription for our turnover bug was believed by our staff to be "more speed", I couldn't help but hang my head. The problem is clearly not that we don't play fast enough. That's not what a good coach sounds like.
Did they really say that? *sigh*
Watson was on Doug & Wolf this morning and he said that the guys need to get into their defender with their elbow and create space to get away from them to catch the ball on the sets. I just :roll:
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Show me one time Watson actually did that his career.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

I like that Daniels can come in and hit 3's. I have always felt like we lacked shooting since the 7 seconds or less era came and went.

I also figured that Bender's Euroleague experience would put him further ahead than he is right now. I haven't seen any games this preseason but the box score and the groaning from those who have aren't encouraging. He's closer to being the next Darko or Tskitishvili than anything else right now. Hoping he starts to figure it out soon.

I'm thinking Bledsoe will kick it up a notch once the season starts. No way he keeps putting up these sub 20% FG% right? RIGHT!?
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Watson is a buddy coach. Nice dude, keeps the players loose and happy. Can't coach for shit. We need him out ASAP. I don't mind if he's here for this season, because we suck anyway. But we have passed over some really good coaches who have become available. We have to stop doing that.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I ask once again as we head into the season, what's our identity? Are we a running team looking to score points? Are we a halfcourt, grind it out team? A defensive team?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Well, Sarver isn't going to pony up the big $$$ for a big name coach or hot coaching prospect so you can assume that replacement would be Jay Triano.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

carey

Post by carey »

We aren't good enough to win any games where both Devin & Eric are average. They both have to score about 20 on 45% or better to even have a chance. Eric with under 10 pts & Devin with 5-12 from the field won't cut it.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!