Game Day (Preseason): Jazz (3-0) @ Suns (1-1), Mon 10/9/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
virtual9mm

Re: Game Day: Jazz (3-0) @ Suns (1-1), Mon 10/9/17

Post by virtual9mm »

Didn't Triano have a rep for being a solid X's and O's guy?

What is damning about Watson is the lack of player development, when this should be his main job. But I can't blame him for not having a pass-first PG to help.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

We shouldn't have any problem getting 60 combined from Booker, Warren, and Bled. The questions are if we get enough from the other guys to keep us in it, and if we can get any stops at all.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
EDC wrote:
OE32 wrote:A lot to agree with here. When I heard that the prescription for our turnover bug was believed by our staff to be "more speed", I couldn't help but hang my head. The problem is clearly not that we don't play fast enough. That's not what a good coach sounds like.
Did they really say that? *sigh*
Watson was on Doug & Wolf this morning and he said that the guys need to get into their defender with their elbow and create space to get away from them to catch the ball on the sets. I just :roll:
We gave up the most FTA in the NBA last season. I'm glad to hear that we are going to be the top fouling team on the other side of the ball, too.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

No coach will last more than a few years. If we had gotten the best coach ever a few years ago we would be calling for his head by now.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:No coach will last more than a few years. If we had gotten the best coach ever a few years ago we would be calling for his head by now.
You may be right, but that doesn't mean Watson is that coach.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

EDC

Post by EDC »

https://twitter.com/esidery/status/917613177331838977

Wrong message again. Being aggressive isn't just shooting a ton of threes. Yes, he should shoot the open ones but he needs to attack the basket.

We need to get him the ball at the free throw line and let him make meaningful decisions. Instead of the garbage we currently run where he is suppose to
continue the stupid weave out at the three point line.

Same crap goes for Chriss. Why not run the pick and roll with him?

It really isn't a surprise that the only young guys doing well are the ones able to create offense off of iso's. That is all our offense ends up being.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I was going to say...Bender should be told by the coaches to only shoot when he has the ball. That should've been his directive this preseason: "We're gonna start you and play you 30minutes a game. DO NOT PASS THE BALL WHEN YOU GET IT. Make a move, look to score or you're coming out."

He doesn't even look at the basket when the ball is passed to him.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:I was going to say...Bender should be told by the coaches to only shoot when he has the ball. That should've been his directive this preseason: "We're gonna start you and play you 30minutes a game. DO NOT PASS THE BALL WHEN YOU GET IT. Make a move, look to score or you're coming out."

He doesn't even look at the basket when the ball is passed to him.
Well, I wouldn't want to direct him into a tunnel vision type of play. I would say, "You're first option is to score. The new triple threat is to score, score, score. Prepare yourself when you don't have the ball to score. Catch it ready to score, and if it's not there, make the correct pass, but think score first."
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

That's too complicated. He won't get tunnel vision through 3 games, but maybe he'll find an offensive rhythm to carry over to the season. Literally tell him, "if you pass it, you're coming out". He needs that mentality drilled into him. I'd rather him shooting too much at this point than continuing to do what he's been doing.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Agree with all the sentiment about Watson. Team sucks, not one player has improved under his mentorship. He doesn't make it through the year I don't think.

Also agree, Len has been our best player this preseason.

I'm really, really disappointed in Chriss and Bender. I've given up hope on both. Neither is one bit better than last year.

Jackson looks wild, but promising.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

In2intion take on lack of player development and the only person who has really improved is TJ is so interesting. I gave it some thought and when you look at the fact that TJ just has an ability to get buckets regardless of system or plays one can even argue that his natural uncanny feel for the game in and around the basket is more reason for his success than having been put in situations to excel.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

specialsauce wrote:Agree with all the sentiment about Watson. Team sucks, not one player has improved under his mentorship. He doesn't make it through the year I don't think.

Also agree, Len has been our best player this preseason.

I'm really, really disappointed in Chriss and Bender. I've given up hope on both. Neither is one bit better than last year.

Jackson looks wild, but promising.
I love how you can acknowledge that Len has been our best player so far in the preseason, yet in the same sentence, you say you have given up hope on Bender in Chriss. The cognitive dissonance is incredible. YOUNG PLAYERS TAKE TIME TO DEVELOP. People shouldn't be surprised that Len is suddenly looking much, much better as he is entering his 5th year in the league. Experience is THE biggest factor in turning talent into production. Chriss and Bender are not even 21. They have 12 months of experience in the NBA. Y'all remember Otto Potter in his second year? Did any of you guess back then that he was going to be a MAX PLAYER???? And he was older and more developed than our young big guys. Have some patience.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Timeline hinges on the ability to trade assets for a top player or prospect. The problem is that we've whiffed on obtaining those pieces. The Kings wouldn't trade Boogie within the division. Kyrie didn't want to come here. Paul George didn't want to come here. Porzingis wasn't on the table for what we were willing to give up. Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul..? Eh, pass. It's possible to say that they screwed up by letting Houston jump on Harden before having a chance to get him as a FA. A smart move by Houston, but it reiterates the point that the front office hasn't been doing enough to improve the roster besides stacking questionable lottery prospects.

We're kind of in a pickle with Watson. I want him to stick around because we're always going to suck with him as the head coach, and we don't have good enough players on the roster to compete. So, we might as well suck as much as possible. On the other hand, I think Watson is at least a small reason why we can't attract top players via trade. They look at the Suns and ask the same questions as us, mainly, what the hell is the identity of this team on the court?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Nodack wrote:No coach will last more than a few years. If we had gotten the best coach ever a few years ago we would be calling for his head by now.
Well, seeing how we once had a coach here for 14 years, and there's a guy who's been coaching in San Antonio for 21, plus Utah had a coach for 23 years, I'd like to think we could find somebody who would at least be "semi-permanent."

But this team hasn't anything resembling stability since Sarver took over. We had Colangeo, Cotton and Van Arsdale in the front office, seemingly forever. Now we seem to be churning through forgettable player personnel decision makers, coaches and assistants.

All the issues with this team start at the top.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

n4th4n wrote:I love how you can acknowledge that Len has been our best player so far in the preseason, yet in the same sentence, you say you have given up hope on Bender in Chriss. The cognitive dissonance is incredible. YOUNG PLAYERS TAKE TIME TO DEVELOP. People shouldn't be surprised that Len is suddenly looking much, much better as he is entering his 5th year in the league. Experience is THE biggest factor in turning talent into production. Chriss and Bender are not even 21. They have 12 months of experience in the NBA. Y'all remember Otto Potter in his second year? Did any of you guess back then that he was going to be a MAX PLAYER???? And he was older and more developed than our young big guys. Have some patience.
This is all true - the only way Bender and Chriss are going to get better is with playing time. Same with the guys who have shown a little more - Williams, Jackson, Ulis, Len, Warren and Booker. If five or six of these guys develop into dependable NBA players, then we're on to something. But having Bender and Chriss stand around around on the perimeter and shoot from the 3-point line all game, and then giving them a hug and telling them they're going to be an Al-Star someday isn't good coaching.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:Bender should be told by the coaches to only shoot when he has the ball.
Well, obviously. He'd look funny if he tried to shoot without the ball. And maybe a little crazy.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Chriss is too aggressive and Bender isn't aggressive enough. Hopefully, they can both meet somewhere in the middle. But yeah, we also don't need Chriss standing around the three point line hoisting 3s. Be aggressive near the basket! I saw him make one move in particular in this game that was really nice. He made the basket and he was fouled. We need to see more of that. But Bender needs to mix it up too. Shoot it when you are open and that will cause guys to come out on you and you can then drive past them. Mix it up!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Just our luck that Len is now going to come into his own and then not sign with us due to being an unrestricted free agent.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:Bender should be told by the coaches to only shoot when he has the ball.
Well, obviously. He'd look funny if he tried to shoot without the ball. And maybe a little crazy.
It would make for a great AdotBdot5 video though, wouldn't it?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
It would make for a great AdotBdot5 video though, wouldn't it?
I had to google that reference.

"Be Legendary."