Game Day (Preseason): Blazers (3-1) @ Suns (1-2), Wed 10/11/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Game Day: Blazers (3-1) @ Suns (1-2), Wed 10/11/17

Post by O_Gardino »

Lots of people were very unhappy with his defense and with the fact that he wasn't a late game scorer who would take over.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

O_Gardino wrote:Lots of people were very unhappy with his defense and with the fact that he wasn't a late game scorer who would take over.
I really think you are exaggerating this. To anyone reading this thread: Do you feel the way that O_Gardino describes? Speak now, if so.

EDC

Post by EDC »

I brought up his lack of defense in threads back in the day. Mostly just because I found it incredibly annoying that so many people were so willing to forgive Nash while at the same time non stop hammering Amare about his defense and rebounding.

I wouldn't call it hate though.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

EDC wrote:I brought up his lack of defense in threads back in the day. Mostly just because I found it incredibly annoying that so many people were so willing to forgive Nash while at the same time non stop hammering Amare about his defense and rebounding.

I wouldn't call it hate though.
I remember those debates with you. From my standpoint, the thing was that Amare had all the tools to do great but Nash while was subpar athletically, he tried harder than Amare. It was a matter of context. I bet many Pistons fans feel about Drummond the same way we did about Amare. Never hate towards Amare in my case either, but at one point, the myth of Amare died to me.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't recall anyone being unhappy with Nash over his D and not being a late game scorer. His D was known to be his weakness and we accepted it because his role on the offensive end made up for it. He was a smart defender tho who knew how to funnel to the help. Would we have liked Rondo-type defense? Sure, but we knew what he was and what he wasn't. Amar'e, the physical freak that was he was, was a complete liability as a post defender and was really an average rebounder.

Also, any gripes with Nash's late game scoring would've been directed more at MikeD and his lack of adjustment and late game playcalling which amounted to more PnRs and 3s. Nash won games for us but again, that wasn't his role on the team.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Wow , seems like Len really was one of our best players this preseason. Not only did he put up decent numbers but his lil dust up with Swanigan has also benefited us :twisted:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/919258686538821641

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

bajanguy008 wrote:Wow , seems like Len really was one of our best players this preseason. Not only did he put up decent numbers but his lil dust up with Swanigan has also benefited us :twisted:

About time a suspension benefited us.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

O_Gardino wrote:
bajanguy008 wrote:Wow , seems like Len really was one of our best players this preseason. Not only did he put up decent numbers but his lil dust up with Swanigan has also benefited us :twisted:

About time a suspension benefited us.
Still a stupid rule. Btw. Portland fans are griping that the suspension was not enforced in the last preseason game rather than the first regular season game. The infraction was committed in a meaningless game and enforced in a meaningful one. There is a point to that. But if the reason for the rule is to prevent fighting, then having a penalty that has no bite is pointless.

Players instinctively move toward the conflict to see what is happening and check on an injured teammate (when Nas was hurt for instance). There should be a fine for stepping onto the court. Suspensions should be reserved for engaging in the conflict.
Last edited by JCSunsfan on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

carey

Post by carey »

O_Gardino wrote:About time a suspension benefited us.
Ya? Watch us win the game because of his absence then we miss having the 3rd worst record by 1 game and then that team wins the lottery. I have no doubt that this will somehow screw us.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's a dumb rule. Sad for Portland to have a real consequence for something innocuous like that. What happened to us in 2007 still stings.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:It's a dumb rule. Sad for Portland to have a real consequence for something innocuous like that. What happened to us in 2007 still stings.
Geeez, tell me about it. I have the Nash and Amare in those purple jerseys so yea just have to look in my wardrobe and I get all the flashbacks ( Good and Bad of SSOL ) days
carey wrote:
Ya? Watch us win the game because of his absence then we miss having the 3rd worst record by 1 game and then that team wins the lottery. I have no doubt that this will somehow screw us.

It is not even funny how possible this is with our awesome draft lottery luck :roll:
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Cap

Post by Cap »

carey wrote:
Have any doubt now?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Very sporting of the Suns not to take advantage of a team when it was shorthanded.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The Bobster wrote:Very sporting of the Suns not to take advantage of a team when it was shorthanded.
You're right. It shows an attitude of helpfulness and care for our fellow human beings.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:Very sporting of the Suns not to take advantage of a team when it was shorthanded.
Yeah, with us being at full strength and all.
"Be Legendary."