Suns News: Week 1 10/17-10/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
EDC

Re: Suns News: Week 1 10/17-10/22

Post by EDC »

Surprised Watson benched his golden boy. Happy that it happened though. Hopefully Chriss handles this well and works hard to get better.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's the right thing to do. Glad Watson has the guts to bench a guy even though he won't like it.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I know players care about it, but I think the starting lineup is one of the most overrated things in basketball.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:I know players care about it, but I think the starting lineup is one of the most overrated things in basketball.
It depends. Maybe the starting 5 isn't that important, but managing lineups and understanding which players play better with which other players is crucial. Managing who subs in when, for how long, etc. can totally win or lose you a game. Or it can burn out your players, cough cough, Mike D.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:I know players care about it, but I think the starting lineup is one of the most overrated things in basketball.
It depends. Maybe the starting 5 isn't that important, but managing lineups and understanding which players play better with which other players is crucial. Managing who subs in when, for how long, etc. can totally win or lose you a game. Or it can burn out your players, cough cough, Mike D.
We're in agreement. Lineup management is the most critical factor and the starting 5 is part of that, but it's a part that could literally last one possession if a coach feels like it. That's why I think it's overrated. We also celebrate the 6th man of the year for a reason. In most cases, the player who wins that award is likely better than the other player "ahead" of them in the starting line up.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

This is a pretty fair take on the current Suns:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/10/1 ... ba-preview
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

We'll know how Watson really feels if Warren is starting, playing 25 minutes and Chriss is coming off the bench for 30mpg and closing out games.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:This is a pretty fair take on the current Suns:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/10/1 ... ba-preview
"TL;DR: “How many points can Devin Booker put up tonight?” may be a more fun way to watch Suns games than focusing on the actual results."

That sounds about right.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:We'll know how Watson really feels if Warren is starting, playing 25 minutes and Chriss is coming off the bench for 30mpg and closing out games.
Isn't this a contract year for Watson? I think he will play the best lineups he can.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

https://twitter.com/Suns/status/920778017848418305

Nice!

Cap

Post by Cap »

OK, nobody else die this year. Don't want to steal Hawk's thunder.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

If the Suns are determined to play Chandler, they should start Bled/Booker/Jackson/Bender/Chandler. Bender is a poor rebounder/decent interior defender and Chandler is a solid rebounder/provides no interior D. They can complement each other better than Chandler/Warren, especially with Bender's (potential) floor-spacing on O. The bench unit also need a guy like Warren to create offense.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Shabazz wrote:If the Suns are determined to play Chandler, they should start Bled/Booker/Jackson/Bender/Chandler. Bender is a poor rebounder/decent interior defender and Chandler is a solid rebounder/provides no interior D. They can complement each other better than Chandler/Warren, especially with Bender's (potential) floor-spacing on O. The bench unit also need a guy like Warren to create offense.
I'm intrigued. Bender really has to start hitting his 3's though. Well if anyone on the suns could, that would be a bonus

Indy

Post by Indy »

Danimal wrote:
Shabazz wrote:If the Suns are determined to play Chandler, they should start Bled/Booker/Jackson/Bender/Chandler. Bender is a poor rebounder/decent interior defender and Chandler is a solid rebounder/provides no interior D. They can complement each other better than Chandler/Warren, especially with Bender's (potential) floor-spacing on O. The bench unit also need a guy like Warren to create offense.
I'm intrigued. Bender really has to start hitting his 3's though. Well if anyone on the suns could, that would be a bonus
Yeah, I hate to keep saying he has potential to be a good shooter, when all of his on-court play says otherwise. It would be really hard to play Bender and Chandler together, when neither provide ANY offense.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

To my eyes that lineup looks too big and doesn't have enough shooting. I'd preder Bledsoe/Booker/Jackson/Warren/Chandler but with Bender coming in at backup C. He can still get a lot of minutes that way.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
To my eyes that lineup looks too big and doesn't have enough shooting. I'd preder Bledsoe/Booker/Jackson/Warren/Chandler but with Bender coming in at backup C. He can still get a lot of minutes that way.
Do we know if Len is playing today?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Indy wrote:
Danimal wrote:
Yeah, I hate to keep saying he has potential to be a good shooter, when all of his on-court play says otherwise. It would be really hard to play Bender and Chandler together, when neither provide ANY offense.
But since Bender's problem could be a matter of repetition and adaptation to NBA speed/stength, it would be wise to keep trying, like Bazz says. And if you try, you might as well put him in the vest environment to succeed. Is '17 Tyson Chandler that? Probably not (close to done). You still have Len once his ankle (old ghost) heals. QO or not, he is our best center right now (Sauce was last year, I loathe that he got injuried).

Cap

Post by Cap »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Indy wrote:
Danimal wrote:
But since Bender's problem could be a matter of repetition and adaptation to NBA speed/stength, it would be wise to keep trying, like Bazz says. And if you try, you might as well put him in the vest environment to succeed. Is '17 Tyson Chandler that? Probably not (close to done). You still have Len once his ankle (old ghost) heals. QO or not, he is our best center right now (Sauce was last year, I loathe that he got injuried).
Let Bender spread the floor and shoot. If the defense plays off him because he keeps missing, let him keep shooting the open threes. Maybe with that experience (and lots of practice), he'll eventually start hitting.

We have nothing to lose by trying. Tanking can be liberating that way.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Cap wrote:We have nothing to lose by trying. Tanking can be liberating that way.
Absolutely. This season is all about finding the best spots for the kids, developing their bodies (major need) and letting the game slow down to them.

In that sense, this first huge kick in the nuts in the opener could (should) spark a reaction. If nothing else, intensity and focus. Watson's Xs and Os better start showing something too or he won't make it to Christmas.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Agreed on Bender. His shot is terrible, but I would reward his defense with playing time. By the end of the season, I want to know if Bender can grow into a good player on both sides of the court.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan