Around the League: Week 1 10/17-10/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Around the League: Week 1 10/17-10/22

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:8 game suspension for Bobby Portis. http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2106 ... ight-games
Did you see Shaq on TNT saying he shouldn't be suspended? These things happen? Come on.

I'm sure there's fights all the time but you don't haul off and punch a teammate in the face. I think the suspension was very appropriate.
I imagine that people get hot under the collar, and fights happen from time to time, but how many reported "sucker punches" happen that break a teammate's jaw in practice?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:8 game suspension for Bobby Portis. http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2106 ... ight-games
Did you see Shaq on TNT saying he shouldn't be suspended? These things happen? Come on.

I'm sure there's fights all the time but you don't haul off and punch a teammate in the face. I think the suspension was very appropriate.
I imagine that people get hot under the collar, and fights happen from time to time, but how many reported "sucker punches" happen that break a teammate's jaw in practice?
According to the Bulls players, it wasn't a sucker punch.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2106 ... ight-games
"This is a team suspension. We did get counsel and advice from the league because this is really unprecedented in a practice situation. There's altercations a lot of times, but the result of Niko's injuries are why we've taken the position that we have."

Paxson confirmed that the conflict between both players escalated throughout a physical practice, with Bulls assistant coach Randy Brown stepping in at one point to calm the rising emotions. Paxson said it would be inaccurate to characterize Portis' punch as a "sucker punch."
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:

According to the Bulls players, it wasn't a sucker punch.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2106 ... ight-games
"This is a team suspension. We did get counsel and advice from the league because this is really unprecedented in a practice situation. There's altercations a lot of times, but the result of Niko's injuries are why we've taken the position that we have."

Paxson confirmed that the conflict between both players escalated throughout a physical practice, with Bulls assistant coach Randy Brown stepping in at one point to calm the rising emotions. Paxson said it would be inaccurate to characterize Portis' punch as a "sucker punch."
Ok, the first I heard it reported, it was reported that it was a sucker punch. It's not like Niko would remember, I'm guessing. I'm not totally convinced that this was above board, but I don't have a dog in this fight. For the team to suspend Portis for 8 games and keep this totally internal doesn't erase my sense of skepticism.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Well time for the first big slate of games for the season. Should be fun getting to watch some of the new teams in the earlier games and here's hoping the night ends with some good Bball in the Desert
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

If Bobby Portis was named Kevin Garnett (Rick Rickert) or Michael Jordan (Steve Kerr), he wouldn't have been suspended.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

John Wall just sonned some of your guys little mascot McConnell. :shock:
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:John Wall just sonned some of your guys little mascot McConnell. :shock:
Fultz looks terrible.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:John Wall just sonned some of your guys little mascot McConnell. :shock:
Fultz looks terrible.
He looks like a rookie who's trying to do too much. I wouldn't go as far as terrible.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Who has the more ridiculous hair, Elfrid Payton or FF's avatar?

EDC

Post by EDC »

I think I've made a mistake by watching the Philly game. Even with all their young guys they don't have problems running an offense and finding open shots.

EDC

Post by EDC »

Simmons looks really good. Getting into the lane and finishing really nicely.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

EDC wrote:Simmons looks really good. Getting into the lane and finishing really nicely.
It makes a huge difference when you have good distributors.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Simmons finishes with 18 points (7-15 FG), 10 rebounds, 5 assists. Very impressive.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400974439

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Simmons will get the headlines, but Bob Cov was killing it tonight.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Fultz looks terrible.
He looks like a rookie who's trying to do too much. I wouldn't go as far as terrible.
I don't know. When he tried to drive it was pretty ugly, clashing against the defense or getting the ball ripped from him. He looked weak. And did you watch him shoot FTs? Noah-esque, although he has that shoulder injury so we'll see. Athletically I see that he can jump but his speed is not elite. I'm sure he'll improve but I am far from in love with him as a prospect. Simmons, on the other hand, is the real deal.

carey

Post by carey »

I feel bad for Lin. He missed half a season last year and looked to finally be healthy and then seriously screws up his knee in his first game. Was the shortened pre-season ultimately a bad thing? Seems to be a lot of injuries already.

https://www.netsdaily.com/2017/10/18/16 ... o-his-knee
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

Stanley Johnson may need a change of scenery. He started, went 0-13 from the field, played 40 minutes, and scored only 2 points.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Lin was never injured last year, they just held him out because there was no point in playing him. It was BS. This is karma.

carey

Post by carey »

No one saw the Celtics starting 0-2 this year. I feel bad for them.

Also, the damn Pelicans let the Grizzlies stomp 'em. How about my guy Dillon Brooks? 19 in his debut. I kept touting him with our 2nd rounder. Seems like he is a good fit in Memphis.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:Lin was never injured last year, they just held him out because there was no point in playing him. It was BS. This is karma.
I heard that his hamstring was wrecked. Is that not true? There was no point in the Nets tanking so I have to believe he'd have played if he were healthy.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!