Game Day: Jazz (2-2) @ Suns (1-3), Wed 10/25/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Game Day: Jazz (2-2) @ Suns (1-3), Wed 10/25/17

Post by Superbone »

Time: 7:00 pm AZ (7:00 pm PT/10:00 pm ET)
Place: Talking Stick Resort Arena, Phoenix, AZ
TV: FSAZ, NBALP

I don't know if we can win but I'd like to see the same energy and effort as Monday. Can they bring it two games in a row?

Go Suns!!!

Dis • cuss
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Re: Game Day: Jazz (2-2) @ Suns (1-3), Wed 10/25/17

Post by TOO »

It's the Jazz, back to the 40pt losses we go!

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Superbone wrote:Time: 7:00 pm AZ (7:00 pm PT/10:00 pm ET)
Place: Talking Stick Resort Arena, Phoenix, AZ
TV: FSAZ, NBALP

I don't know if we can win but I'd like to see the same energy and effort as Monday. Can they bring it two games in a row?

Go Suns!!!

Dis • cuss
I agree. Sharing the ball and playing hard is really the name of the game at this point. It appears that is what Triano is going to demand.

I remember watching an Indiana Basketball game years ago, coached by Bobby Knight, and they were getting killed in the first half. Bobby Knight didn't throw any chairs, slap any players or curse anyone out. He was very calm. At halftime the reporter asked him why he was so calm. His comment was that his team was playing hard, making the right passes and in the correct positions on the defensive end. The only problem is that the ball was not going in the hoop.

In the 2nd half of the game Indiana blew out the opponent because the ball started going threw the hoop.

That is what I think Triano is after as well. I liked what I saw from Triano in his interviews before and after the game. I hope he keeps it up. What we really need is consistency and accountability. That appears to be his strength. Let's hope.

He does not see basketball as rocket science. He sees it as a game and it is supposed to be fun. However if you want to play on his team you better bring energy or you are going to be a bystander.
This BUD'S for us! - Play fast Play well - Go Suns!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Jazz got worked last night. They will be out for blood today, but might not have fresh legs late in the game. Lets see if our young guys can hang on and through the whole game and maybe steal one.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I wonder what our practice was like yesterday. Triano made a good point about practice vs games:

“Like today, I don’t know how hard we can practice today with a game tomorrow and the minutes that these guys play,” the interim coach told Doug & Wolf. “But at the same time, I don’t believe we’re in good enough condition to play with the intensity we need to play at moving forward. It’s tough to figure out right now whether we’re going to be a grind-it-out practice team and not care about games and just care about development of players, or we’re going to compete, which is the number-one thing for these guys.”

So refreshing to hear a coach talk about, ya know, basketball.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Even after our adrenaline rush of firing our coach, we barely beat the pathetic Kings. I think we will get destroyed by an actual good team like the Jazz.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:I wonder what our practice was like yesterday. Triano made a good point about practice vs games:

“Like today, I don’t know how hard we can practice today with a game tomorrow and the minutes that these guys play,” the interim coach told Doug & Wolf. “But at the same time, I don’t believe we’re in good enough condition to play with the intensity we need to play at moving forward. It’s tough to figure out right now whether we’re going to be a grind-it-out practice team and not care about games and just care about development of players, or we’re going to compete, which is the number-one thing for these guys.”

Remember in preseason when all the talk was about how great the guys conditioning was coming in to training camp? It's nice to have a dose of reality.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
ShelC wrote:I wonder what our practice was like yesterday. Triano made a good point about practice vs games:

Remember in preseason when all the talk was about how great the guys conditioning was coming in to training camp? It's nice to have a dose of reality.
Yep, there's a big difference from being in shape to being in fast break basketball shape.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Even after our adrenaline rush of firing our coach, we barely beat the pathetic Kings. I think we will get destroyed by an actual good team like the Jazz.
You know what, that could happen.

However I will watch this game. I probably would have done something else if Watson was still our coach.
This BUD'S for us! - Play fast Play well - Go Suns!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I just want to point out that Rubio and Gobert lead the Jazz in scoring.

They are a mature team that knows how to play, but they aren't very good. There's no real scoring threat, and I don't see them as a playoff team. If we let them score over 100, we'll know were we stand.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

They're gonna drop like 115 on us.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:They're gonna drop like 115 on us.
Geez, at least, I would think.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

The biggest difference here is that this is our first game against a good defensive team. The Jazz don't give up 100pts often and they unlike the Grizzlies are sticking to their slow methodical pace so we will have to continue the ball movement from last game and be willing to make the extra pass unless we will struggle to break down their half court defense. also in those blowouts we really got beat up on the boards so want to see if we have any luck with Gobert tonight
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:I just want to point out that Rubio and Gobert lead the Jazz in scoring.

They are a mature team that knows how to play, but they aren't very good. There's no real scoring threat, and I don't see them as a playoff team. If we let them score over 100, we'll know were we stand.
They're probably the best defensive be team in the league

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Donovan Mitchell got off to a slow start but just had a bit of a breakout game. He can go off and can also be a beast defensively. Should be interesting to see how our bigs fare against Gobert.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:I just want to point out that Rubio and Gobert lead the Jazz in scoring.

On paper. But they are 14th so far in opponents points per game. They allow 97 on average. They did a great job shutting down OKC, and obvs we aren't at that level, but we'll see how they do tonight on the second game of back to backs.

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Split T wrote:

On paper. But they are 14th so far in opponents points per game. They allow 97 on average. They did a great job shutting down OKC, and obvs we aren't at that level, but we'll see how they do tonight on the second game of back to backs.
It's only been 4 games and they've played Minny, Denver, OKC, and LAC. So some pretty good teams. Their points per game average has no real meaning at this point. We'll see what it is after 20 games.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Split T wrote:

It's only been 4 games and they've played Minny, Denver, OKC, and LAC. So some pretty good teams. Their points per game average has no real meaning at this point. We'll see what it is after 20 games.
I'm not waiting for 20 games to make statements about our chances tonight. ;)

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Funny thing is that I am actually looking forward to this game, even though I know we might get beat bad. I am having this strange sensation I have not had in a long time.

Hope.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

ShelC wrote:They're gonna drop like 115 on us.
Oh yeah? Well we’re gonna drop 89 points on them! See how they like that...