Suns News: Week 3 10/30-11/5

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Suns News: Week 3 10/30-11/5

Post by ShelC »

Unless I missed something, I'll never understand the Markieff stuff. He dogged it for half the year until Hornacek was fired, then turned it on and played well enough to get traded under Watson. Then later, said he had no problems with Jeff and that they got along and texted each other. But that's besides the point.

And yea I don't like Watson, but it sure seems like he takes credit for turning Markieff around and for Booker's success. I thought we all saw Booker's potential and once we fired Hornacek, went into rebuild (again) and just gave Booker all the minutes he could handle in the 2nd half of the year. Watson said it was during that summer that he and his coaching staff believed that Booker was "the future" but that it was met with "some resistance". Resistance from whom? The FO? The fans? The media? Looking at the splits from his rookie year, he went from playing 23mpg and averaging 10ppg before the All-Star Break to playing 35mpg and averaging 19ppg and 4apg. I think we all kind of saw he was the future at that point? No?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Shabazz wrote:I think he's much more suited to run a college program.
He wouldn't be very good at that, but he could probably fly under the radar if it wasn't a major program.

If you don't watch college basketball, you'd be surprised how bad many of the coaches are when it comes to game planing. Lorenzo Romar in particular had a lengthy career simply because he could recruit a top 10 player every season.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/11/02/eric- ... s-pelicans

According to SI.com, there was a deal offered that involved Detroit and NOP, but we turned it down.

The SUNS would have gotten Asik (three years at 11M per), Ajinca (2 years, 5M per), DET '19 and NOP '18 picks. Reggie Jackson to NOP and Bledsoe to DET.

In my opinion this is exactly the kind of deal we should be looking for, and if we said no, that has to mean that the interest in Bledsoe is strong enough to make it plausible that we get something better.
Last edited by Ring_Wanted on Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

carey

Post by carey »

Or we are just looking for a player that can contribute instead of more draft picks this coming draft. Asik & Ajinca are both unplayable. We'd just be moving Bledsoe for those 2 picks, which I'm not sure we need.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:Or we are just looking for a player that can contribute instead of more draft picks this coming draft. Asik & Ajinca are both unplayable. We'd just be moving Bledsoe for those 2 picks, which I'm not sure we need.
Perhaps. But in my opinion, we'd be better off adding picks than another player, unless it made sense age wise. But I don't see a ton of good 25 and under guys that make sense and are available. Just embrace the fact that we are rebuilding the right way, which at some point means you take unplayable salary for picks.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Ring_Wanted wrote:https://www.si.com/nba/2017/11/02/eric- ... s-pelicans

According to SI.com, there was a deal offered that involved Detroit and NOP, but we turned it down.

The Pistons would have gotten Asik (three years at 11M per), Ajinca (2 years, 5M per), DET '19 and NOP '18 picks. Reggie Jackson to NOP and Bledsoe to DET.

In my opinion this is exactly the kind of deal we should be looking for, and if we said no, that has to mean that the interest in Bledsoe is strong enough to make it plausible that we get something better.
But what would the Suns have gotten?

For what it's worth, there aren't many players out there that I want this season. We have players whose value is increasing at every position. Let's figure out who they are this year. I'd be happy with picks.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

The Pistons would have gotten Asik (three years at 11M per), Ajinca (2 years, 5M per), DET '19 and NOP '18 picks. Reggie Jackson to NOP and Bledsoe to DET.

Just clarifying, you mean the Suns would have gotten, right?

If so, I would definitely consider that deal if no protections are in place.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:

https://twitter.com/sbordow/status/926166412426727425

I don't think he will sell until he can satisfy his pride and say that the team became a contender/champion again under his watch. It would be too much of an admission of failure for him to sell when we're at a low point.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Xylus wrote:

Yeah, my bad. Fixed it.

But I don't think you can aspire to get those picks without protections.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Xylus wrote:

Yeah, my bad. Fixed it.

The Suns have traded for protected picks, but I cannot EVER remember the Suns protecting a pick they trade themselves (first round pick). Have they ever?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Xylus wrote:

Yeah, my bad. Fixed it.

The Suns have traded for protected picks, but I cannot EVER remember the Suns protecting a pick they trade themselves (first round pick). Have they ever?
http://www.nba.com/suns/news/brooks_release_110224.html
The Phoenix Suns have acquired guard Aaron Brooks from the Houston Rockets in exchange for guard Goran Dragic and a protected 2011 first-round draft pick, the team announced.
Ugh. I'm painfully reminded.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

JCSunsfan wrote:The Suns have traded for protected picks, but I cannot EVER remember the Suns protecting a pick they trade themselves (first round pick). Have they ever?
The closest I've gotten was the pick we sent HOU along with Dragic for Aaron Brooks. Deal was our 2011 pick if we made the playoffs (we didn't) or Orlando's (acquired in the Gortat trade).

Edit: wow, did not see your post, AIG.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

AmareIsGod wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Xylus wrote:

Yeah, my bad. Fixed it.

The Phoenix Suns have acquired guard Aaron Brooks from the Houston Rockets in exchange for guard Goran Dragic and a protected 2011 first-round draft pick, the team announced.
Christ that was a bad deal.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

n4th4n wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Xylus wrote:

Yeah, my bad. Fixed it.

Yep
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

In2ition wrote:
n4th4n wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote: Yeah, my bad. Fixed it.

Yep
I lost it when we made that trade. In my opinion Dragic was better at the time of the trade. What were we doing giving up the extra asset?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

We were infatuated with Chris Rock at the time, apparently. Tossed salad at all costs, 1st round picks be damned.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Shabazz wrote:
In2ition wrote:
n4th4n wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
Yep
I lost it when we made that trade. In my opinion Dragic was better at the time of the trade. What were we doing giving up the extra asset?
That was the same year we gave away Amare for free and brought in Warrick, Childress, and Hedo. One of the worst off seasons in Suns history.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
In2ition wrote:
n4th4n wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

Yep
That was the same year we gave away Amare for free and brought in Warrick, C*******s, and H**o. One of the worst off seasons in Suns history.
100% truth
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Who was our FO? Blabby and Blanks?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Whenever you complain about McDo, go back to this thread. :)