Suns News: Week 4 11/6-11/12

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Suns News: Week 4 11/6-11/12

Post by Mori Chu »

No. The point still stands. He's upset and wants to leave Lebron. You get him here, you've got two years to convince him that you are a great franchise and that he should want to be here.

You have to be willing to be confident and take chances to win in the NBA.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Yep. You’re not getting a star in a trade with more than two years left on his deal.

Split T

Post by Split T »

No offense, but I disagree. Bledsoe, a top 4 pick, and another pick is way too much for someone who doesn't want to be here. Maybe if it's Anthony Davis, Antetekounmpo or a legit mvp candidate. Kyrie is not that. And while I like Kyrie, he's not a great fit with Booker either, these things matter when making an all in move like trading the farm for Kyrie.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

So then we can just continue sucking with mediocre players and no superstar in sight other than Booker who will leave for greener pastures.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I'm done talking about Kyrie. You two wanted him and that's fine. Some of us disagree. We're not changing your mind, you're not changing ours. No point in discussing it anymore.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Fair enough

Though just to clarify, I was against the deal in the offseason. I've since changed my mind and regret they did not pull the trigger.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:Fair enough

Though just to clarify, I was against the deal in the offseason. I've since changed my mind and regret they did not pull the trigger.
That's fair. I was in favor of a Kyrie trade, but I was hesitant to include Jackson. Especially if Kyrie was uncommitted to staying here. Jackson has struggled out the gate which doesn't make us feel better about passing, but I'm expecting Jackson to be a pretty good player for us in time.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:No. The point still stands. He's upset and wants to leave Lebron. You get him here, you've got two years to convince him that you are a great franchise and that he should want to be here.

Excuse me, but you can’t run a business under taking chances or “i’m not a loser” bravados.

You have to take CALCULATED risks, and compromise your resources under circunstances backed up by information. If Kirye said he is unwilling to commit, you set a price for that deal as we did, is not like we ended talks because of it. It’s very likely that we would have upped up our offer under an extend-and-trade scenario.

Teams have to prepare for uncomitted Stars, or lose them for nothing. Under your dare-or-close standars, over half the league would shut down their business, either for your “lack of courage” rule or the ramifications of losing players without compensations

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:No. The point still stands. He's upset and wants to leave Lebron. You get him here, you've got two years to convince him that you are a great franchise and that he should want to be here.

Excuse me, but you can’t run a business under taking chances or “i’m not a loser” bravados.

You have to take CALCULATED risks, and compromise your resources under circunstances backed up by information. If Kirye said he is unwilling to commit, you set a price for that deal as we did, is not like we ended talks because of it. It’s very likely that we would have upped up our offer under an extend-and-trade scenario.

Teams have to prepare for uncomitted Stars, or lose them for nothing. Under your dare-or-close standars, over half the league would shut down their business, either for your “lack of courage” rule or the ramifications of losing players without compensations
Yup. You don't just throw away assets and hope it works out.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:

Thats exactly what you do. You never know if its gonna work out. The thing about NBA trades is that the team that gets the great player generally wins them.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:

Thats exactly what you do. You never know if its gonna work out. The thing about NBA trades is that the team that gets the great player generally wins them.
Maybe if the player says he's interested in playing for his new team. Not when he says, no, I don't want to play for you.
"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:

The team that gets the best player generally wins. BTW. All things being equal. I think Greg Monroe is a better player than Eric Bledsoe. But contracts and injuries shake it up a bit.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Not when he says, no, I don't want to play for you.
How do you know he said that? Were you in the room for the negotiations? :) Also, you really can't conceive of an outcome where a player initially doesn't want to come to Phoenix, but comes here and plays 2 full years of his contract, and during that time comes to realize that he likes it here and wants to stay? You don't think we could have convinced him?

EDC

Post by EDC »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
How do you know he said that? Were you in the room for the negotiations? :) Also, you really can't conceive of an outcome where a player initially doesn't want to come to Phoenix, but comes here and plays 2 full years of his contract, and during that time comes to realize that he likes it here and wants to stay? You don't think we could have convinced him?
I honestly think that we couldn't have convinced him not in our current situation. I think if our young guys were a year or two farther along it would be a different story.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

1. I'm very glad that we didn't bring in Kyrie to make us just better enough to let Watson keep his job.

2. I'm very glad we didn't give up more than a 28ppg All-NBA player who took his team to the conference finals + an assumed top 5 pick in an assumed great draft + a starter who perfectly fits the Cavs + a second round pick for the privilege of watching Booker and Irving take turns going 1on1 while the locker room deteriorates and whatever young guys are left just stand around. I'm not even sure we could have beaten that deal without including Booker. Bled + Jackson + Miami Pick? Please. We would have at least had to include our 2018 pick to beat that.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Warren, Booker, and Irving would've been a nice combo. No defense being played at all, but hell, who plays defense anymore?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Touche. ;) However, he did say who he wanted to play for and Phoenix wasn't on the list. But I think you know that.
"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
There have been reports that that was the situation. I believe it to be true, but do not know for sure.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

O_Gardino wrote:1. I'm very glad that we didn't bring in Kyrie to make us just better enough to let Watson keep his job.

2. I'm very glad we didn't give up more than a 28ppg All-NBA player who took his team to the conference finals + an assumed top 5 pick in an assumed great draft + a starter who perfectly fits the Cavs + a second round pick for the privilege of watching Booker and Irving take turns going 1on1 while the locker room deteriorates and whatever young guys are left just stand around. I'm not even sure we could have beaten that deal without including Booker. Bled + Jackson + Miami Pick? Please. We would have at least had to include our 2018 pick to beat that.
1. Hadn't considered that one. Yes. Kyrie could have saved Watsons job, which would have been a disaster.

2. 28ppg all-star player that was injured and on the last year of his deal (Ainge knew about the injury), an assumed (but in no way guaranteed) top f pick, an unnecessary starter.

But, it is what it is. I do not see a point in fretting over it. Moving on.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

The best thing to happen to this team is the Watson firing. I would agree that any move that would have saved his job would have set this team back further in the long run.