Around the League: Week 4 11/6-11/12

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Around the League: Week 4 11/6-11/12

Post by carey »

QOTD: How are the Celtics the league's best defense with Kyrie Irving at PG?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

carey wrote:QOTD: How are the Celtics the league's best defense with Kyrie Irving at PG?
I don't think any two players in their starting lineup played together before. What's more is I heard somewhere (Lowe post I guess) that they are the youngest team if you look at player age weighted by minutes played. I'm not sure what kind of joga Stevens is taking his players to but it would be worth checking out. On the other hand, Minnesota with Thibs still sucks on D.

carey

Post by carey »

I'm not sure Thibs is the "defense" whisperer everyone thought. Chicago struggled way more on offense after Thibs left than on defense. Still, a defensive plan can only do so much if you don't have the players for it. Swapping Rubio for Teague may have had a negative effect. Although with Butler, Wiggins and Taj Gibson all in the starting line-up you'd think you'd be o.k. defensively.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Hermen wrote:
carey wrote:QOTD: How are the Celtics the league's best defense with Kyrie Irving at PG?
I don't think any two players in their starting lineup played together before. What's more is I heard somewhere (Lowe post I guess) that they are the youngest team if you look at player age weighted by minutes played. I'm not sure what kind of joga Stevens is taking his players to but it would be worth checking out. On the other hand, Minnesota with Thibs still sucks on D.
They are the youngest eastern conference team, but we're the youngest overall.

Their defense is impressive, Kyrie has stepped it up on that side of the floor. Horford is a very good defender and they've got some wings that defend well in jaylen brown and Marcus smart. Tatum is playing very well for them too on both sides of the ball. Will be interesting to see if they stay the top defensive team after more games are played.

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:I'm not sure Thibs is the "defense" whisperer everyone thought. Chicago struggled way more on offense after Thibs left than on defense. Still, a defensive plan can only do so much if you don't have the players for it. Swapping Rubio for Teague may have had a negative effect. Although with Butler, Wiggins and Taj Gibson all in the starting line-up you'd think you'd be o.k. defensively.

Wiggins is maybe the worst defensive wing in the league and towns is bad too. Minny is winning games though, so something is working.

carey

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:
carey wrote:I'm not sure Thibs is the "defense" whisperer everyone thought. Chicago struggled way more on offense after Thibs left than on defense. Still, a defensive plan can only do so much if you don't have the players for it. Swapping Rubio for Teague may have had a negative effect. Although with Butler, Wiggins and Taj Gibson all in the starting line-up you'd think you'd be o.k. defensively.

Wiggins is maybe the worst defensive wing in the league and towns is bad too. Minny is winning games though, so something is working.
It's weird. Wiggins should have all the skills needed to be a beast on defense.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Split T wrote:

It's weird. Wiggins should have all the skills needed to be a beast on defense.
Ya, that was the one thing out of college scouts were sure he would excel at, but he's just been awful. I don't watch him enough to know, is it effort? Bad understanding of scheme?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Seems like Julius Randle is going to get traded at some point. I'd take him in a heartbeat for Chriss. Plays hard, plays inside, very good passer. He'd be a nice complement for Booker.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

That Stevens guy can coach.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:Seems like Julius Randle is going to get traded at some point. I'd take him in a heartbeat for Chriss. Plays hard, plays inside, very good passer. He'd be a nice complement for Booker.
+1

I don't know why they cant work it out with him.

carey

Post by carey »

O_Gardino wrote:
ShelC wrote:Seems like Julius Randle is going to get traded at some point. I'd take him in a heartbeat for Chriss. Plays hard, plays inside, very good passer. He'd be a nice complement for Booker.
+1

I don't know why they cant work it out with him.
I could see us trading for him at the deadline because he's an RFA. But he put up 16 & 12 in 20 minutes last night.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

What do you guys think it would cost? Chriss or Chriss + a second? I have no idea how highly the Lakers value Randle, but Chriss would look much better running with Ball.

carey

Post by carey »

O_Gardino wrote:What do you guys think it would cost? Chriss or Chriss + a second? I have no idea how highly the Lakers value Randle, but Chriss would look much better running with Ball.
I don't know. They seem completely enamored with Kuzma. I would think they would ask for a late 1st rounder and maybe DJJ or something.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I don't think it would take much. I don't think they want to pay him this off-season. They'd probably do DJJ and our 2nd. Randle is interesting and playing well in limited minutes this year. I think I view him about how I view Warren. Not sure he's a starter on a contender, but he definitely has a role.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I was just throwing it out there. I don't think we'd have anything they'd want. They certainly don't need another PF like Chriss when they have Kuz and Nance Jr there.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Julius Randle is a ball hog. He over dribbles and thinks he's a guard. Very Beasley on offense.

Still take him over Chriss all day though because Chriss blows.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If we acquire Randle and put him in a Suns uniform, we have to call him the Orange Julius.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Oof.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Brad Stevens is his coach instead of Tyronn Lue.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Brad Stevens is his coach instead of Tyronn Lue.
Maybe it is this simple but it factors into my point which is that He's Engaged, Kyrie is surely not slow of foot and most of his lapses used to be falling sleep off the ball but for me in those last two Finals he used to be doing a decent job on Steph. So yea I agree Stevens and just the scheme they have there is clearly good to be doing well without Bradley n Crowder and that if Kyrie has a point to prove , Finals and this season for obvious reasons he is more than capable of doing a solid job staying infront of his man
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)