Game Day: Lakers (5-8) @ Suns (5-9), Mon 11/13/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Game Day: Lakers (5-8) @ Suns (5-9), Mon 11/13/17

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:I think you put too much stock in this draft as well. Fultz was the only guy I considered a future regular all star. This draft was very deep through about 13 guys, but deep with above average starters and border line all stars, not mvp candidates. Next year's draft has the potential super stars and mvp candidates. I expect Jackson to make an all star game or two at the least, but hopefully it's more like 4 or 5. I'm hoping for a Shawn Marion like career.
Time will tell. Agree it’s early, but I’m watching game to game and so far am pulling my hair out most nights watching these guys. I do wonder what Jackson would look like playing for a more disciplined team like the Spurs.
I think this is a good point. Jackson would look better with a defined role and better players around him. Our team isn't good enough to have that luxury. He spends a lot of time with Daniels, Bender, and Len. Someone's gotta create the offense. I actually think he'd look better starting alongside Booker. But hard to bench Warren as he's a better player right now.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:Sure they’re fair. We drafted him to be a franchise small forward. Kawhi is what a franchise small forward looks like. We didn’t draft him to be average.
By those standards, Bender is a failure unless he becomes Giannis.
I have to admit sauce, you are quick to throw our youngest players under the bus when they don't meet your expectations. Remember that these are 21 and under players in the NBA. And in JJ's case, a rookie with 14 NBA games under his belt. Let's give him some time and room to maybe grow. When you have Ulis and James facilitating the offense, a guy like him is going to struggle. I'm just as bad at making snap judgements. I was enamoured with Mike James after his first game or two and now, I see why he was stashed away in the Greek leagues and not in the NBA.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

So it was Brian Shaw that told Booker, "Stop F@#$%ng flopping!"

How come the league doesn't fine opposing coaches for instigating incidents? This guy was a career below average player that was lucky to stick around as long as he did, imo.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Oops
Last edited by specialsauce on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

specialsauce wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:Sure they’re fair. We drafted him to be a franchise small forward. Kawhi is what a franchise small forward looks like. We didn’t draft him to be average.
By those standards, Bender is a failure unless he becomes Giannis.
I have to admit sauce, you are quick to throw our youngest players under the bus when they don't meet your expectations. Remember that these are 21 and under players in the NBA. And in JJ's case, a rookie with 14 NBA games under his belt. Let's give him some time and room to maybe grow. When you have Ulis and James facilitating the offense, a guy like him is going to struggle. I'm just as bad at making snap judgements. I was enamoured with Mike James after his first game or two and now, I see why he was stashed away in the Greek leagues and not in the NBA.
Yeah, I know I am. But we drafted JJ to be #2 to Books #1. So far, he hasn’t shown me anything to think he’ll ever be anything close to the second best player on a team. It’s earlu, time will tell, but I’m not the type of person to blindly praise somebody just because they’re young and were drafted early. He is not living up to the hype, and I’m not impressed right now. we’ll see if he grows or not. I’m skeptical. I know some people on this board will continue to be hopeful about these players until they’re out of the league (see:Archie Goodwin) and I’m on the other end of the spectrum.

With James, just knew he would suck. He’s a 27 year old rookie PG who is short and shoot first, and his shot selection drives me crazy. He shoots early in the clock like he’s a superstar. There’s a reason this guy hasn’t gotten any interest from any NBA teams until now. He shoots often enough that he’ll throw you a hot game once in a while followed by 10 duds that absolutely kill the team.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:So it was Brian Shaw that told Booker, "Stop F@#$%ng flopping!"

How come the league doesn't fine opposing coaches for instigating incidents? This guy was a career below average player that was lucky to stick around as long as he did, imo.
That might be only our 2nd altercation of the season, and I think it was a legit one. One of the things I like best about the Triano era is that we play harder when we get frustrated instead of getting in shoving matches.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

yeah we need to move on from the Mike James era.. let Ulis sink or swim with time .. and look for a replacement PG for Bleds.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

BlaCkAdDa wrote:yeah we need to move on from the Mike James era.. let Ulis sink or swim with time .. and look for a replacement PG for Bleds.
Nah. We need James right now. Ulis has not been playing well at all. James is a young rotation guy.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

James should be best off the bench as a spark plug. Let Ulis work with setting up Booker, TJ and the bigs.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

carey wrote:
specialsauce wrote:Oh, Bender looked GREAT. I am really happy about his play the last few weeks.
[youtube][/youtube]
Glad he got a highlight clip, don't know if anyone else noticed this last night but I couldn't recognized the players at the time cuz it happened too fast. Now getting to see it again, check Tyler Ennis and Ball on the bench when he hits the turn around J , that made me smile n laugh last night.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

jonh

Post by jonh »

Loved Benders game last night. I will get really excited if we see real progression from both him and Chriss this year.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Thanks for the highlights. Not to be a downer, but Bender still doesn't look confident out there. His shots were falling and getting the 3 to fall consistently will be a huge step. He just look hesitant tho working from the perimeter.

In the post it's a different story. I've seen plays (maybe in SL or europe) where he's been posted up and I don't know why we haven't used him more there. Maybe it's because we want him to stretch the floor opposite Chriss, Tyson and Len? I just think he looks more natural, more balanced and with his height and length there shouldn't be many who can block a turnaround jumper. I could see him getting pushed around a bit at the moment, but we should work to get mismatches for him in the post. It looks like it should be an easy two.

And not to pick on the guy, but what was that turnaround move by JJ in the 3rd highlight? He made a great fake to create space and then did a 360 back to his left? Just looked awkward like he pivoted on the wrong foot the wrong way.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Agreed on Bender, wish we would post him up more often. To use him as a spot up 3 point shooter is a waste of his talents. Need to give him a couple looks in the post each game.

That turnaround shot by Josh......cringeworthy. I hope I never see him do that again. Focus on making the easy ones.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

specialsauce wrote:Agreed on Bender, wish we would post him up more often. To use him as a spot up 3 point shooter is a waste of his talents. Need to give him a couple looks in the post each game.

That turnaround shot by Josh......cringeworthy. I hope I never see him do that again. Focus on making the easy ones.
Focus on defense. Easy ones on offense.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

JCSunsfan wrote:
specialsauce wrote:Agreed on Bender, wish we would post him up more often. To use him as a spot up 3 point shooter is a waste of his talents. Need to give him a couple looks in the post each game.

Focus on defense. Easy ones on offense.
Unfortunately, there aren’t easy ones in the second unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan