Game Day: Rockets (11-4) @ Suns (5-10), Thurs 11/16

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
bajanguy008

Re: Game Day: Rockets (11-4) @ Suns (5-10), Thurs 11/16

Post by bajanguy008 »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I watched the game on DVR on a delay, so I couldn't comment during. Quick thoughts:

- I thought Jackson had an awful game while watching; lost the ball a bunch, an air ball of an open jumper, just generally looked scared and lost. But the box score showed decent stats for him. I guess we need to give the guy more time.

- I thought Munroe looked pretty darn good out there. An actual professional NBA big man. Had post moves and everything. Don't see why we shouldn't play the guy.

- Even though we lost big and lost bad, I didn't hate watching this game. We do have a lot of players I like.

- I really dislike Mike James. Whoever said that he's our best PG over Ulis is crazy. He is a ball hog and chucks up bad shots. He has no business being an NBA rotation PG imo.

- I hate watching James Harden. I hate his foul-drawing BS and how the refs consistently fall for it. I hate his little hand gestures and his "eating soup" motion or whatever it is. f*** him.
full credit to you Mori , I only have the 2nd half to finish but I couldn't even get through the 3rd quarter just now. I am not surprised by Monroe, he is always efficient on the offensive end and is known to have quick hands on D. A rim protector he definitely is not but like some of you asked, is a 27yr old legit post presence that bad of a piece to use ?
I will wait and see what Triano does because even the high post stuff we tried before that wasn't suited for Len , Monroe would actually be able to operate in that set too. It is one of two things watching the 1st quarter, either simply a new guy now finding his role on the team or the kinda usage you give a guy who you don't plan to keep around.
As for Josh it was a decent game but decision making is still the biggest part of the learning curve. He has the freedom to bring the ball up when he rebounds but I'm sure most of the time he has chosen to attack the basket 1on1 or keep the ball and then attack off the pick n roll. Those are the ones I not too fussy about, if he doesn't get anything on the break I think he should just run a play and still trying too many scoop finishes which getting blocked. Was better last night tho
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

bajanguy008 wrote:If ya gonna start Monroe could well give him a touch smh lol
5mins and counting tsk
Did he really start? I didn't see the game, but the Bkref lists Len as the starter.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:Man, they put up 45 in the 1st Quarter. How f*** embarrassing.
You know what would be even more embarrassing? Not making adjustments and getting 45 dropped on us in the second quarter, too.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:Look at that, Jackson locks down Harden again.
Thanks, FF. I'm following the Suns this year for the sole purpose of seeing the flashes of potential. I appreciate you pointing them out.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

bajanguy008 wrote:well my wishes weren't answered , bout to be made fun of all around
Devin taking the challenge of marking Harden is a good look, not sure if it is the smartest thing. he has had way too many turnovers trying cross court passes, Monroe been efficient which is nothing new but I guess featuring him in the post doesn't make any sense as he most likely leaving
It helps his trade value.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
The Bobster wrote:I don't understand the love they have for Mike James (0/7 FG, 1 Ast)
His production has plummeted after a good start to the season.
James gets minutes because Ulis has been so bad. I said it before the season, but I would still like to get Deron Williams on this team. Even if he only plays a limited role. Ulis can't handle the pressure, and James doesn't get the other guys involved.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The Bobster wrote:James finishes shooting 1 for 13 tonight.
*positive outlook!
His shooing stats are similar to future HOFer Lonzo Ball!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:Jackson's game isn't always pretty (bad shots, looses dribble too much) but I'm not gonna complain about 6/11 from the field, 16/3/3 with 2 steals and a block.
If you don't look at Houston's half of the box score, it looks like we had a pretty good game.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Superbone wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:Troy Daniels isn't the sharpshooter some claim he is.
You picked tonight to say that?
Can't get'em all right. Of course he'd blow up after that comment, whatever helps.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

In2ition wrote:Watching this game makes me think that it's going to take more than one player to fill the holes on this team. It might take a high draft pick, a big time FA and a trade for a superstar.

Also, I miss Mike D'Antoni as coach. His teams are so much fun with the right mix.
I do too but keep in mind, he left us high and dry.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

3rdside wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
- I hate watching James Harden. I hate his foul-drawing BS and how the refs consistently fall for it. I hate his little hand gestures and his "eating soup" motion or whatever it is. f*** him.
I don't know if I've posted this here before - definitely elsewhere - but saying Refs fall for it as actually doing Harden a disservice; he's the fastest braker in the league and uses it to his advantage:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/james-hard ... 1486667420
It may be a good play, but it is not fun to watch.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

EDC wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I watched the game on DVR on a delay, so I couldn't comment during. Quick thoughts:

- I thought Jackson had an awful game while watching; lost the ball a bunch, an air ball of an open jumper, just generally looked scared and lost. But the box score showed decent stats for him. I guess we need to give the guy more time.

- I thought Munroe looked pretty darn good out there. An actual professional NBA big man. Had post moves and everything. Don't see why we shouldn't play the guy.

- Even though we lost big and lost bad, I didn't hate watching this game. We do have a lot of players I like.

- I really dislike Mike James. Whoever said that he's our best PG over Ulis is crazy. He is a ball hog and chucks up bad shots. He has no business being an NBA rotation PG imo.

Not sure who said it but to be fair neither of them are good. Ulis is petrified of the three point line and James has never found a shot he doesn't like. Neither of them can reliably put the ball in the basket.

We really should bring in a vet guard to start next to Booker.
Yes, please.

My current fear is that Booker will get tired of playing next to chumps. No offense, Tyler. I pulled minutes info from Basketball reference's 2-Man lineups. (Might not be complete, but this is the data I have.) Here are the minutes Booker shared the floor with other backcourt partners from his rookie season through today:

Bledsoe > 1900
Knight > 1200
T. Ulis > 700
R. Price < 700
Archie > 600
James < 300
(those are greater-than and less-than symbols, not just arrows)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

iLLmatic wrote:
In2ition wrote:Watching this game makes me think that it's going to take more than one player to fill the holes on this team. It might take a high draft pick, a big time FA and a trade for a superstar.

Also, I miss Mike D'Antoni as coach. His teams are so much fun with the right mix.
I do too but keep in mind, he left us high and dry.
I know, but I don't put all the blame on him.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:Ok, that was a smackdown. The Suns being dead last in defense really showed tonight. It was good for them. They won’t get cocky for awhile. It’s not the end of the world. Rookies look great one game and crappy the next. Par for the course imo. On a positive not Monroe’s debut was a plus.
Yeah, Monroe's 20/10 debut was nice.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
5mins and counting tsk
Did he really start? I didn't see the game, but the Bkref lists Len as the starter.
Yes, he most definitely started. You might want to start getting your box scores somewhere else. Or at least your starting lineup info, not sure what you were looking at.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
5mins and counting tsk
Yes, he most definitely started. You might want to start getting your box scores somewhere else. Or at least your starting lineup info, not sure what you were looking at.
Well, I'll be a hog in a clown car. If Basketball reference can be wrong, then there's no way to know anything.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/bo ... 60PHO.html

OK, here's another question. Did Chandler play? There was a lot of chatter about him in the game thread, but he isn't listed at all in the box. I assume people were just complaining about Chandler any time Monroe did something nice.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
5mins and counting tsk
Well, I'll be a hog in a clown car. If Basketball reference can be wrong, then there's no way to know anything.

OK, here's another question. Did Chandler play? There was a lot of chatter about him in the game thread, but he isn't listed at all in the box. I assume people were just complaining about Chandler any time Monroe did something nice.
Chandler wasn't in the building and won't be at Staples tonight.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
5mins and counting tsk

Chandler wasn't in the building and won't be at Staples tonight.
He's supposed to be the veteran mentor, right? Shouldn't he be there, even if he's not playing?

Of course, he might have a legitimate excuse (contagious, puking his guts out, dealing with a personal or family crisis, etc.). I don't know.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Why have him there? He's going to make everyone else sick...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:Why have him there? He's going to make everyone else sick...
+1
"Be Legendary."