Around the League: Week 6 11/20-11/26

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Around the League: Week 6 11/20-11/26

Post by carey »

Nationally televised games this week

Monday: Indiana @ Orlando 7:00 PM EST NBATv
Tuesday: Chicago @ L.A. Lakers 10:30 PM EST NBATv
Wednesday: Golden State @ Oklahoma City 8:30PM EST ESPN, L.A. Lakers @ Sacramento 10:30PM EST ESPN
Thursday: None.
Friday: Charlotte @ Cleveland 8:00PM EST NBATv, Chicago @ Golden State 10:30PM EST NBATv
Saturday: New York @ Houston 8:00PM EST NBATv
Sunday: None

NBA News

Steve Kerr would like the media to stop covering LaVar Ball & Trump - https://www.sbnation.com/2017/11/19/166 ... ring-media

Who is Anfernee Simons, the top-10 recruit who could enter the 2018 NBA Draft through a loophole? https://www.sbnation.com/college-basket ... le-florida

Bob Meyers on the Woj podcast - https://art19.com/shows/thewojpod/episo ... 1b2c3437bf
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Re: Around the League: Week 6 11/20-11/26

Post by carey »

QUOTD: After 15 straight wins is it time to start thinking about the Celtics as a legitimate threat to the NBA title?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

I think there is a pretty interesting EC rivalry in the making in Boston vs Philly. This is probably Cleveland's last year.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:QUOTD: After 15 straight wins is it time to start thinking about the Celtics as a legitimate threat to the NBA title?
Yes. Man, I wish Hayward were healthy. I would love to see Cleveland ousted early.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

carey wrote:QUOTD: After 15 straight wins is it time to start thinking about the Celtics as a legitimate threat to the NBA title?
I think the Warriors would roll 'em in the finals, but they've obviously got a strong chance of making it there.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Yes. They'll likely represent the East in the NBA Finals this year. I think they will lose to the Warriors, but if you make the Finals and compete, you are a legitimate threat to win the NBA title.

Thanks for posting these QOTDs, carey! They're fun.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Yes. They'll likely represent the East in the NBA Finals this year. I think they will lose to the Warriors, but if you make the Finals and compete, you are a legitimate threat to win the NBA title.

Thanks for posting these QOTDs, carey! They're fun.
Yes - thanks!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Legitimate as in, can they win under current circumstances around the league? No.

Legitimate as in, it's November 21st and crazy shit is bound to happen at some point? Sure.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

If the Clips and Jazz continue to struggle, I wonder if one of them will want to drop some salary. Rubio might be available.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Also, all of the top guard prospects in the 2017 draft are shooting like shit so far. The best is Fox at .408 and .261. That's the best % by a guard in the top 15 picks. Mitchell and Monk are ok, I guess, because they take so many 3s and shoot it pretty well. But, honestly, this is a guard class with a lot of shooting trouble. So far, the forwards are by far the better performers. I wonder how much of that is situational. All of these guards are the face / savior of the franchise, and expected to carry the load. The forward who are playing well mostly play off the ball and can pick their spots.

Fox .408 / .261
Smith .384 / .288
Mitchell .382 / .327
Monk .346 /.333
Ntilikina .333 / .240
Futz .333 / .000
Ball .313 / .228

(Jackson .395 / .271)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Smith, Monk and Mitchell are volume scorers so they're going to have poor percentages but I wouldn't necessarily say they can't shoot. Fultz is injured, we know Ball can't shoot (and probably won't ever be great). Frank and Fox are young and just need more reps. I think they can definitely improve.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

O_Gardino wrote:If the Clips and Jazz continue to struggle, I wonder if one of them will want to drop some salary. Rubio might be available.

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:Also, all of the top guard prospects in the 2017 draft are shooting like s*** so far. The best is Fox at .408 and .261. That's the best % by a guard in the top 15 picks. Mitchell and Monk are ok, I guess, because they take so many 3s and shoot it pretty well. But, honestly, this is a guard class with a lot of shooting trouble. So far, the forwards are by far the better performers. I wonder how much of that is situational. All of these guards are the face / savior of the franchise, and expected to carry the load. The forward who are playing well mostly play off the ball and can pick their spots.

Fox .408 / .261
Smith .384 / .288
Mitchell .382 / .327
Monk .346 /.333
Ntilikina .333 / .240
Futz .333 / .000
Ball .313 / .228

(Jackson .395 / .271)
The NBA is tough. It takes rookies a bit to adjust. Every single one of those guys is 19 or 20, just like Jackson. It's rare when a rookie is good nowadays.

The good rookies this year:
Ben Simmons - Had an extra year to prepare and was an elite prospect
Kyle Kuzma - Very impressive, but he is older. 22 I believe.
Jayson Tatum - Always had a very advanced offensive game and is in a great situation.
John Collins - Impressive, I haven't watched him but his numbers look great, he was a 2 year college player.
Lauri Markkanen - Very impressive as well. If you can shoot, you can shoot at all levels.

No one else is really playing well, they're showing flashes, but overall are not positive impacts.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

This article goes nicely with yesterday's QOTD:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/th ... you-think/

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:Also, all of the top guard prospects in the 2017 draft are shooting like s*** so far. The best is Fox at .408 and .261. That's the best % by a guard in the top 15 picks. Mitchell and Monk are ok, I guess, because they take so many 3s and shoot it pretty well. But, honestly, this is a guard class with a lot of shooting trouble. So far, the forwards are by far the better performers. I wonder how much of that is situational. All of these guards are the face / savior of the franchise, and expected to carry the load. The forward who are playing well mostly play off the ball and can pick their spots.

Fox .408 / .261
Smith .384 / .288
Mitchell .382 / .327
Monk .346 /.333
Ntilikina .333 / .240
Futz .333 / .000
Ball .313 / .228

(Jackson .395 / .271)
The NBA is tough. It takes rookies a bit to adjust. Every single one of those guys is 19 or 20, just like Jackson. It's rare when a rookie is good nowadays.

The good rookies this year:
Ben Simmons - Had an extra year to prepare and was an elite prospect
Kyle Kuzma - Very impressive, but he is older. 22 I believe.
Jayson Tatum - Always had a very advanced offensive game and is in a great situation.
John Collins - Impressive, I haven't watched him but his numbers look great, he was a 2 year college player.
Lauri Markkanen - Very impressive as well. If you can shoot, you can shoot at all levels.

No one else is really playing well, they're showing flashes, but overall are not positive impacts.
Oh come on. I have it on good authority(@Mark_Wahlen) that Mitchell is already better and will continue to be better than Booker the rest of his career. He has to be pretty high on that list, no?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Who is Mark Whalen? Did he actually say that?

TOO

Post by TOO »

JCSunsfan wrote:I think there is a pretty interesting EC rivalry in the making in Boston vs Philly. This is probably Cleveland's last year.
I think last year was Clevelands last year. LeBron is still incredible, but after that its a crap shoot. Boston is playing Spursy basketball, everyone involved and Kyrie is a legit closer. Crazy they look this good w/o Hayward.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:Who is Mark Whalen? Did he actually say that?
Idk who he is, other than a super Jazz fan and commentator. He definitely has an opinion, and isn't afraid to tell everyone how much better Mitchell is than Booker, and won't back down from his comments even after it's clearly not the case.

I do like Mitchell, and sure there is a possibility that he ends up better than Booker, but I can't see it being very likely right now.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Jazz fans are pretty bitter about booker. They took lyles 1 spot ahead of him and have to trash booker to make themselves feel better.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:Jazz fans are pretty bitter about booker. They took lyles 1 spot ahead of him and have to trash booker to make themselves feel better.
There are probably 10 teams that feel that way.