NCAA Thread 2017-18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: NCAA Thread 2017-18

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:33/17 from Bagley today. He's far from a perfect prospect, but he just puts up numbers.
He has been nitpicked to death. I've even read some people think he's a tweener. It's a bit out of control already.
There's some question marks defensively as he looks like a 5, but doesn't defend the rim like a 5. Still, he might be closer to 20/10 his rookie year if he gets the minutes.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:33/17 from Bagley today. He's far from a perfect prospect, but he just puts up numbers.
He has been nitpicked to death. I've even read some people think he's a tweener. It's a bit out of control already.
He is a tweener IMO. I don't think that really matters in todays game though.
Between a sf and pf? Or pf and center?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:
There's some question marks defensively as he looks like a 5, but doesn't defend the rim like a 5. Still, he might be closer to 20/10 his rookie year if he gets the minutes.
I don't think he's a center and is clearly a pf unless you go small ball.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:
I don't think he's a center and is clearly a pf unless you go small ball.
I think he can play pf just fine, especially if you can put a rim protecting stretch 5 next to him. Like you said, a lot of it is nit picking as he'd be the no doubt #1 guy if he defended the rim at an elite level.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Yeah, that's ridiculous.

His defense does concern me, and Duke seem to improve when he was out with the injury.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Yeah, that's ridiculous.

His defense does concern me, and Duke seem to improve when he was out with the injury.
Even Duke acknowledged that that is entirely because Coach K went to the 2-3 zone when he went out. Every fan that's watched them this year knew they almost always played better when they played zone. Just took Coach K until then to admit it. Now they play it exclusively.

carey

Post by carey »

Ayton played much, much better than he did against Colorado tonight. 13-16 for 34 points and 16 boards.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:Ayton played much, much better than he did against Colorado tonight. 13-16 for 34 points and 16 boards.
Ayton is a beast and should be the Suns top pick.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Bagley is interesting. He is being nit-picked like Tatum was last year, but for different reasons. The knock on Tatum was lack of athleticism. But the idea that he might not have an NBA position was part of it. Marvin Bagley is 20 of 54 from the 3 for this year. That is 37%. He does not shoot a high volume, but it looks like he might be able to do more. He is one of the most active, aggressive players in college basketball. There are so many ways in which he reminds me of a young LeBron, just bigger (I am not saying he is as good, etc). Its just the athleticism, strength, intimidating frame,

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I just have this feeling that we aren't going to get the #1 pick. Even if we somehow finish with the worst record, the odds are not as great as they used to be. I bet we get #2 or #3. We'll probably end up with Bagley would be my wild guess.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Odds are still the same this year. It's next year when they flatten a bit. Still, worst record only has a 25% chance at #1

Split T

Post by Split T »

And I don't think ending up with Bagley is a bad thing. He's going to be really good.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Falling to 3 and getting Bagley would be okay with me, anything further down I’d be pissed

Split T

Post by Split T »

Watching kentucky-alabama right now. Sexton is fighting and putting up numbers but Gilgeous-Alexander is defending him well. Wenyen Gabriel is shooting the lights out.

I'm interested to watch Knox as well. He had a nice 2 dribble pull up, but he has been mostly invisible.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Gabriel 7/7 from 3. Having the game of his life. Bama is trying to fight back but Gabriel keeps hitting them. I like Gilgeous-Alexander, I think he could be a good fit next to Booker. He just seems under control always.

I think diallo made a mistake not entering the draft last year. He'll have to come back to Kentucky again.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Arizona wins the PAC 12, Ayton with 32/18

carey

Post by carey »

Congrats to UofA winning the vacated Pac-12 tournament title. Cut down that soon to be vacated net, Sean!
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Gilgeous-Alexander had a big game to win the sec for Kentucky. He's in the lead for me right now on PG prospects in the mid 1st. Might be moving to high for us though.

Also, bracket was revealed and set up a 1st weekend Arizona-Kentucky match. Should be fun.

ASU snuck in and gets a play in game against Syracuse Tuesday.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I would stay far away from Kevin Knox in the draft.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JCSunsfan wrote:Bagley is interesting. He is being nit-picked like Tatum was last year, but for different reasons. The knock on Tatum was lack of athleticism. But the idea that he might not have an NBA position was part of it. Marvin Bagley is 20 of 54 from the 3 for this year. That is 37%. He does not shoot a high volume, but it looks like he might be able to do more. He is one of the most active, aggressive players in college basketball. There are so many ways in which he reminds me of a young LeBron, just bigger (I am not saying he is as good, etc). Its just the athleticism, strength, intimidating frame,
Bagley defensive awareness is nonexistent. He definitely has a position though, so I don't where that knock is coming from. He does have the kind of mentality on the offensive end that you want from a top pick/superstar.

I don't get the LeBron reference though.