Around the League: Week 7 11/27-12/3

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: RE: Re: Around the League: Week 7 11/27-12/3

Post by carey »

specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:Deandre Jordan will be old for the entire duration of his next contract.
He'd be 30-32. Not exactly old. Again, I'm not saying we should do it, but it's not the travesty of a move that people will think it is.
Couldn’t disagree more
I don't know where I stand on this one. Tyson has been 33, 34, 35 and next year 36 for his contact with us. DAJ would be 30-34. Both players rely on their athleticism to get anything done. Do we want to repeat the Tyson mistake considering it could cost twice as much financially?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

specialsauce

Re: Around the League: Week 7 11/27-12/3

Post by specialsauce »

I don't even like Deandre Jordan NOW, let alone when he's older. HARD pass.

You can't have a player making max money who you can't trust to touch the ball down the stretch because he can't hit a free throw. That just can't happen. The dude has no offensive ability whatsoever aside from dunks which are harder to come by in the playoffs. This guy would be great at $10 mil per year. MAX money? That is a recipe for disaster.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

He's not going to make a bad team good. He's like Chandler that way. He can make a good team better, but not a bad team good.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:Deandre Jordan will be old for the entire duration of his next contract.
He'd be 30-32. Not exactly old. Again, I'm not saying we should do it, but it's not the travesty of a move that people will think it is.
Couldn’t disagree more
I am not against having older players on the team, but I cannot believe that DAJ's contribution will match what he will cost. I certainly do not want to give up assets now with the potential of losing him soon anyway. We are not in win now mode. Maybe next summer or the year after, a move like this would make sense.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

DAJ depends on a pass-first PG like Chris Paul to contribute anything on offense. We don't have that. And I don't think DAJ's defense is worth the price tag.

I agree with the suggestion to look into Kevin Love. I think he's been criminally misused in Cleveland and that his numbers will go up nicely once he isn't playing there any more. Would love to snag him if they do a post-Lebron-leaving fire sale.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

I'm just surprised when I keep hearing/reading how much he will get on his next contract. There's plenty of centers available. They may not give as much rebounding and defense, but they cost 3-6 times less and some can make free throws. Len and Noel didn't even get offers last year but teams are expected to throw 30 million at DJ on the wrong side of 30? It's not 2016 anymore.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I would consider taking DAJ on Chandler's deal. Why so cheap? Look at the top 4 teams over the last 3 years. they have centers who pass and shoot. You just don't need a dominant shot blocker to win these days, and it's more important to have good spacing and ball movement. I think it's tough to build a winning roster giving max money to a shot blocker in the era when everyone is taking 3s.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Hermen wrote:I'm just surprised when I keep hearing/reading how much he will get on his next contract. There's plenty of centers available. They may not give as much rebounding and defense, but they cost 3-6 times less and some can make free throws. Len and Noel didn't even get offers last year but teams are expected to throw 30 million at DJ on the wrong side of 30? It's not 2016 anymore.
Yeah, I doubt that DAJ gets another big payday. Teams and GMs aren't *quite* as stupid as they used to be. I think they can see that Jordan isn't very special now that Chris Paul is gone. He is not worth a max or near-max payday.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/938879083320102912

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

So the #2 and #3 players from the 2015 draft will be on the Nets? I bet they wish it would have been the #1 and #4 instead.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

In2ition wrote:So the #2 and #3 players from the 2015 draft will be on the Nets? I bet they wish it would have been the #1 and #4 instead.
Beggars can't be choosers.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

bajanguy008 wrote:

https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/938879083320102912

Why? I guess we will know when we see the details.

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/938879271967297539

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Am I missing something here? Okafor, Stauskas and a second rounder for... Trevor Booker? Nice move for the Nets. Would anyone give Monroe for this?

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Hermen wrote:Am I missing something here? Okafor, Stauskas and a second rounder for... Trevor Booker? Nice move for the Nets. Would anyone give Monroe for this?
I would have kept DJJ over Monroe and I don't hate Monroe. Just not sure what he's doing on this team NOW at the expense of younger players. We know Monroe doesn't have a future here and everyone EXCEPT McDo knows ain't nobody going to trade for him. Ineptness in it's highest form.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Hermen wrote:Am I missing something here? Okafor, Stauskas and a second rounder for... Trevor Booker? Nice move for the Nets. Would anyone give Monroe for this?
Stauskus and Okafor don't play, so it's not like the 6ers are giving up a ton.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Why would the Nets do this? I thought they liked Trevor Booker, and if Okafor plays well didn't they tie their hands on how much they could offer him next year?

I supposed the questions answer themselves and they didn't like Booker as much as possibly Stauskus or the cap space. And perhaps they don't have any interest in bringing Okafor on next year for more than the qualifying offer.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Why would the Nets do this? I thought they liked Trevor Booker, and if Okafor plays well didn't they tie their hands on how much they could offer him next year?

I supposed the questions answer themselves and they didn't like Booker as much as possibly Stauskus or the cap space. And perhaps they don't have any interest in bringing Okafor on next year for more than the qualifying offer.
I guess with Lin and Russel both out, they could use guard depth, so maybe Okafor is just a placeholder at C since they are losing Booker.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

In2ition wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

Booker is 30 and an expiring. Why not take a look at Okafor and Stauskas instead and get a pick for the "trouble"?

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Hermen wrote:
In2ition wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

Booker is 30 and an expiring. Why not take a look at Okafor and Stauskas instead and get a pick for the "trouble"?
They turned Booker's expiring into something. Probably had already decided they were not resigning him. They get a look at Okafor and maybe if he is only marginally good, they get a chance to sign him. Stauskas is pretty much nothing. They get a second rounder out of it, which is OK.