Suns News: Week 8 12/4-12/10

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
bajanguy008

Re: Suns News: Week 8 12/4-12/10

Post by bajanguy008 »

Superbone wrote:
bajanguy008 wrote:
Superbone wrote:

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/938891502599753728

ok which of you sharp folks here gonna be able to give me some insight into who this is
My best insight so far is that he's got two first names in one which is pretty cool.
:lol: :lol:
I used to pay attention to the D League years ago to see how players I liked in college were playing. well the G League website has upgraded and there is a Youtube channel with plenty of highlights now so didn't take much to find him. he went to Texas A&M and ishttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhmzQQN0WYo a G/F scorer.....

[youtube][/youtube]
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Healthy players:

Center: 3
Power Forward: 4
Small Forward: 2
Shooting Guard: 2
Point Guard: 2

Injured players:
Center: 1
Shooting guard: 2
Point guard: 1
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Bordow article on whether it was the right decision to play Booker so many minutes in a back-to-back:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 921629001/
"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Superbone wrote:
bajanguy008 wrote:
Superbone wrote:

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/938891502599753728

ok which of you sharp folks here gonna be able to give me some insight into who this is
My best insight so far is that he's got two first names in one which is pretty cool.
:lol: :lol:
I used to pay attention to the D League years ago to see how players I liked in college were playing. well the G League website has upgraded and there is a Youtube channel with plenty of highlights now so didn't take much to find him. he went to Texas A&M and ishttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhmzQQN0WYo a G/F scorer.....

[youtube][/youtube]
They signed House right away. He must have been on their radar for a while. He is a 6-7 2 guard who is a good outside shooter (36% this year, 40% last year). He looks strong. Not skinny. He is a good passer and also rebounds pretty well for a guard. He looks like a decent defender, but highlights don't usually show defense much, especially defensive lapses. You can get a pretty good idea from highlights about offense by look at stats and comparing it with footage.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Please tell me Daniel House isn't Eddie House's less talented brother.

carey

Post by carey »

May as well be
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Please tell me Daniel House isn't Eddie House's less talented brother.
I don’t know who you’re talking about. Danuel House, on the other hand, may very well be a triplet with brothers Daniel and Manuel.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Please tell me Daniel House isn't Eddie House's less talented brother.
I don’t know who you’re talking about. Danuel House, on the other hand, may very well be a triplet with brothers Daniel and Manuel.
They were twins originally, then Daniel and Manuel were involved in a transporter accident that created Danuel.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
They were twins originally, then Daniel and Manuel were involved in a transporter accident that created Danuel.
That's more likely.
"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Teaching phonics is dangerous, obviously.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Blame autocorrect for that one!! :)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Maybe the Suns should hire Bobby Hurley from ASU, he's got them as the talk of the country right now in college basketball.

This wasn't necessarily a serious post. I haven't watched any sun devil games and I know hardly anything about Bobby Hurley, but he is having an impressive season. Maybe he's a career college coach, but maybe he's on the Brad Stevens path.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Nate Duncan and Danny Leroux just eviscerated Josh Jackson on their 15 in 60 Western Conference podcast today. Honestly, it was hard to disagree with what they were saying. Other than a few flashes on D, he is is essentially doing nothing at an acceptable NBA level at the moment. One of the reasons I was excited about him going into the draft is that I thought he could play minutes as a 4 as he did in college, but I am becoming less confident he can play that role in the NBA.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

n4th4n wrote:Nate Duncan and Danny Leroux just eviscerated Josh Jackson on their 15 in 60 Western Conference podcast today. Honestly, it was hard to disagree with what they were saying. Other than a few flashes on D, he is is essentially doing nothing at an acceptable NBA level at the moment. One of the reasons I was excited about him going into the draft is that I thought he could play minutes as a 4 as he did in college, but I am becoming less confident he can play that role in the NBA.
His defense is more than flashes; he's a very good defender. Good positional defender, as well as great at getting steals. Not big enough to be a 4, but he has done a good job on every 3 and 2 he's been assigned, plus many of the 1s he has guarded. Over the last 6 games, he is shooting 44%, so that's an improvement. The ball handling is very good for a rookie forward. I'm not worried at all about his ability to create.

The passing is not where I hoped it would be, but that could be a byproduct of the Suns bad spacing and movement. We are a terrible passing team in part because we are a terrible shooting and moving team. The rebounding isn't what it was in college. And lastly, when he misses a shot, it's sooo bad you can only conclude that his shooting will never be good.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:And lastly, when he misses a shot, it's sooo bad you can only conclude that his shooting will never be good.
I hope you're wrong there. Yeah, it's very inconsistent currently but I still have hope that with time and maybe a shooting coach, he can get to at least an acceptable level.
"Be Legendary."

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

O_Gardino wrote:
n4th4n wrote:Nate Duncan and Danny Leroux just eviscerated Josh Jackson on their 15 in 60 Western Conference podcast today. Honestly, it was hard to disagree with what they were saying. Other than a few flashes on D, he is is essentially doing nothing at an acceptable NBA level at the moment. One of the reasons I was excited about him going into the draft is that I thought he could play minutes as a 4 as he did in college, but I am becoming less confident he can play that role in the NBA.
His defense is more than flashes; he's a very good defender. Good positional defender, as well as great at getting steals. Not big enough to be a 4, but he has done a good job on every 3 and 2 he's been assigned, plus many of the 1s he has guarded. Over the last 6 games, he is shooting 44%, so that's an improvement. The ball handling is very good for a rookie forward. I'm not worried at all about his ability to create.

The passing is not where I hoped it would be, but that could be a byproduct of the Suns bad spacing and movement. We are a terrible passing team in part because we are a terrible shooting and moving team. The rebounding isn't what it was in college. And lastly, when he misses a shot, it's sooo bad you can only conclude that his shooting will never be good.
I tend to agree with you on most of these points, especially regarding how our terrible spacing and lack of offensive threats is probably impacting his passing and turnover rate. It's hard to project what He could look like 4-5 years down the road on a good team. His usage rate is too high right now given where he is on his development curve. It almost has to be though, given how few impact players/creators we have on our roster. Linked to that is the fact that he takes a lot of shots he shouldn't, but he seems like a smart player so I am optimistic that will improve. His FT% is what really, really worries me. He is shooting 55% from the free-throw line right now, which is pretty much in-line with his college numbers. All the evidence is screaming out that he is going to be a poor shooter. I think we are all hoping he can prove that projection wrong.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:And lastly, when he misses a shot, it's sooo bad you can only conclude that his shooting will never be good.
I hope you're wrong there. Yeah, it's very inconsistent currently but I still have hope that with time and maybe a shooting coach, he can get to at least an acceptable level.
I still hope he can be acceptable, like 32% from deep and 46% overall if he just takes his best shots.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I still hope he can be acceptable, like 32% from deep and 46% overall if he just takes his best shots.
He also needs to get his FT shooting to a minimum of 75%.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Pippen's career ft% is like .704, and Igudala is like .714. I don't think either has shot much more than .700 on a championship team. Jackson just needs to get better enough.
Last edited by O_Gardino on Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's hard to challenge the claim that Josh Jackson has been a big disappointment so far. Other than #1 pick Markelle Fultz, has there been a bigger draft bust this year (relative to the spot at which he was picked and the expectations on him) than Jackson?