Game Day: Raptors (17-8) @ Suns (9-20), Wed 12/13/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
1tinsoldier

Re: Game Day: Raptors (17-8) @ Suns (9-20), Wed 12/13/17

Post by 1tinsoldier »

What exactly are our strengths? I mean that in all seriousness. I don’t think we’re good at anything
our stats probably confirm we're not good at anything
i don't doubt, however, that a number of these guys would be good on another team
with a real coach

on one hand, a fill-in coach is fine for another tank season
on the other hand, there is damage being done here that may have long term ramifications for the players, as well as the team

you have to wonder
are the Spurs really brilliant at picking talent?
or is Popovich really brilliant at raising talent?

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Missed the game.
Scanning the box score, it looks like Daniels kept the team in the respectable zone.
Chriss' statistical line: Oof!
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

1tinsoldier wrote:
What exactly are our strengths? I mean that in all seriousness. I don’t think we’re good at anything
our stats probably confirm we're not good at anything
i don't doubt, however, that a number of these guys would be good on another team
with a real coach

on one hand, a fill-in coach is fine for another tank season
on the other hand, ther) e is damage being done here that may have long term ramifications for the players, as well as the team

you have to wonder
are the Spurs really brilliant at picking talent?
or is Popovich really brilliant at raising talent?
I'd cut Triano some slack.
His best player and scorer is out, and he has two back-ups running the point.
Two raw talents are struggling at four.
His most active center is injured.
He's also trying undo all the damage the previous coach inflicted.

As for the Spurs, they are exhibit A of how to run a great franchise.
Find a solid basketball mind with a plan (Pops) and give him a complete support.
Ownership, management and coaching all are on the same page.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

1tinsoldier wrote:Chriss and Bender are regressing this season. now add Jackson who's getting worse, not better
how does the coach let him consistently hang out past the 3 point line, when he can't shoot 3's
Yeah he can. He shot plenty of them. Making them is another story though.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Jackson 0 for his last 16 from the field.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Wow, Daniels with 7 3-pointers and 32 total points. I think we need more pure shooters like him on the roster. Way too many "athletes" and "tweeners" on this team for my taste.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400975162
Couldn't agree more. 0 3pter for the starting unit? We might be the only team in the NBA that can do that.

And, with so many athletes, why don't we get more dunks?
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

1tinsoldier wrote:Chriss and Bender are regressing this season. now add Jackson who's getting worse, not better
how does the coach let him consistently hang out past the 3 point line, when he can't shoot 3's

they need guidance and an offensive framework that plays to their strengths

as is, we're only getting consistency from Monroe and now Daniels, the vets on the team
the youngsters are going nowhere
Maybe a better coach makes a difference, but it looks to me like the guys strengths don't fit together and that the things we are consistently good at aren't things that get wins in todays NBA. Midrange jumpers? Opposing coaches will give us those shots all night long.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Ulis, Bender and Jackson have the 9th, 6th and 4th worst Real Plus Minus ratings in the NBA.

The team desperately needs 3 point shooting, and help at the PG and PF positions. Bender and Chriss are really bad.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In practice today I would set up a game.

Ulis
Jackson
Dudley
Bender
Monroe

James
Daniels
Warren
Chriss
Len

Team with the highest score wins. Midrange jumpers are negative points. You have to find your teammates for shots at the rim and behind the 3pt line.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Wormwood wrote:Ulis, Bender and Jackson have the 9th, 6th and 4th worst Real Plus Minus ratings in the NBA.

The team desperately needs 3 point shooting, and help at the PG and PF positions. Bender and Chriss are really bad.
Yep. Our problems right now are point guard and pf. Giving Chriss oodles of playing time is not helping him. He needs some extended time in GLeague. Bring in Alec Peters and start him. Let Bender come off the bench. At least we know Peters can shoot and rebound. Maybe that would open the floor a little for TJ and JJ.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

O_Gardino wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Wow, Daniels with 7 3-pointers and 32 total points. I think we need more pure shooters like him on the roster. Way too many "athletes" and "tweeners" on this team for my taste.

Couldn't agree more. 0 3pter for the starting unit? We might be the only team in the NBA that can do that.

You answered your own question there. Dunks require spacing which is a product of 3-point shooting which is something we don't have. We need to start playing Bender at the 5 to squeeze more shooting into our lineups. Who cares if we get killed on the boards, at least we will be moving towards an identity. Right now, our identity is... what?

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

n4th4n wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

You answered your own question there. Dunks require spacing which is a product of 3-point shooting which is something we don't have. We need to start playing Bender at the 5 to squeeze more shooting into our lineups. Who cares if we get killed on the boards, at least we will be moving towards an identity. Right now, our identity is... what?
I figured it out. Dumpster fire. That's what our identity is. Hot stinking flamming garbage!

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

the guys can blast me if they wish but I actually think we played a good 4th quarter and Raptors just couldn't put us away. Chriss for me has been very active on the defensive end last couple games and since the box score was mentioned I peeped at it and was surprised it shows he only had 3 boards and no blks. He has had many games of looking disinterested and lacking effort but I don't think last night was one :oops:

I may have missed it last night but just now rewatching the Suns broadcast they showed Adams and Westphal telling this story about chicken wings in Buffalo. I wouldn't know about those 70's teams but that story gave me a laugh and maybe Lazarus might be one who heard about the 47wings then 47pts :)

I know many of us say TJ doesn't have a high ceiling because he is not a threat from 3. DeRozan is the very best at the midrange game, I know he is probably the only legit scorer in the league who doesn't shoot the 3 but at least there is an example TJ can follow. on the broadcast they said he is 0/12 in his last 8 games so he literally hardly takes any and although he is more athletic than TJ he plays methodical these days and doesn't really make high flying plays, just works to a spot and draws contact. in the era where everyone is willing to hook up in the summer TJ might wanna make DeRozan a workout buddy 8-) :)
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

O_Gardino wrote:In practice today I would set up a game.

Ulis
Jackson
Dudley
Bender
Monroe

James
Daniels
Warren
Chriss
Len

Team with the highest score wins. Midrange jumpers are negative points. You have to find your teammates for shots at the rim and behind the 3pt line.
Alright, I updated my minigame idea. Dudley and Chandler are coaches.

Jared's Duds
Ulis
Danuel
Jackson
Bender
Monroe
Peters

Tyson's Chickens
James
Daniels
Warren
Chriss
Len
Canaan

18 minute game with scheduled time out's every 3 minutes for coaching and rotating the reserves in. Regular NBA ball with assistants acting as refs. Midrange jumpers are -1 points. Starters for the next game all come from the winning team.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

n4th4n wrote:
n4th4n wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

I figured it out. Dumpster fire. That's what our identity is. Hot stinking flamming garbage!
I would be very Sunsy to be 3 deep at center, and sit them all to play an under performing PF out of position.

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

DrSublime wrote:have 4 FREE lower bowl tickets for the game tonight if anyone wants them... kids has Nutcracker rehearsal so cant make it.

PM me and I'll email them to you
wow
literally could not GIVE these tickets away.
~~~~~

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

DrSublime wrote:
DrSublime wrote:have 4 FREE lower bowl tickets for the game tonight if anyone wants them... kids has Nutcracker rehearsal so cant make it.

PM me and I'll email them to you
wow
literally could not GIVE these tickets away.
I'll take them! Which game?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

carey

Re: RE: Re: Game Day: Raptors (17-8) @ Suns (9-20), Wed 12/13/17

Post by carey »

AmareIsGod wrote:
I'll take them! Which game?
It was last night's.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

He'll still take them!