Starting Lineups

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Starting Lineups

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Ulis' production has been all over the place so far. His play late last season was encouraging but the injury cut his rythm and it showed. Canaan at least is a threat from 3. Neither is a solution. I am starting to aligh with those who came up with Booker at nominal PG. I have doubts about who should be alongside him.

All I know is Booker-Jackson-Warren-Bender-Len should be seeing a lot of playing time together.
Eh, I'd prefer a real PG and know Booker would too.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:So... When is Canaan going to be moved to starting PG? He's just more experienced and tested. It seems to me it might even help Ulis to be the backup PG and play with that second unit. It just makes sense to me to make the switch. Your takes?
I still prefer Ulis as starting PG. I think he has a good chemistry with Booker (and to some degree Warren). With our bench unit there aren't as many good players for Ulis to even pass it to. I'll admit that Ulis has had a really disappointing season, but I still blame some of that on his injuries and the slow recovery that must come with them.

I will say that the outcome I dread most of all is that we'll decide to just not have a PG out there and just play Booker as our primary ballhandler. I think that's the road to ruin. You need a distributor out there who really knows how to pass and run an offense.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:Such a depressing exercise. We have only one starter-caliber player on the roster.
I disagree. I think we have Booker, Len and TJ. All of them could start on multiple teams. The problem is if those are your 3 best players.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Indy wrote:
Cap wrote:Such a depressing exercise. We have only one starter-caliber player on the roster.
I disagree. I think we have Booker, Len and TJ. All of them could start on multiple teams. The problem is if those are your 3 best players.
Actually. Monroe could start on a number of teams too.

Cap

Post by Cap »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Indy wrote:
I'm not claiming we're the only team in the league for which they could start. That's not what I mean by "starter-caliber."

Could they start for good teams? Are any of them besides Booker top-20 players in the league at their position? Or top-100 overall?

ETA: Ranked by VORP, Len is #91 in the league, Chandler #121, Chriss #187, Monroe #201, and Warren #405. Warren's VORP is negative.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
Indy wrote:
I'm not claiming we're the only team in the league for which they could start. That's not what I mean by "starter-caliber."

Could they start for good teams? Are any of them besides Booker top-20 players in the league at their position? Or top-100 overall?

ETA: Ranked by VORP, Len is #91 in the league, Chandler #121, Chriss #187, Monroe #201, and Warren #405. Warren's VORP is negative.
VORP is heavily affected by the teammates around you.There is no way that Warren is the 405th best player in the NBA. Considering there are 150 starters in the league any given night, I have a hard time saying that Booker, TJ, Alex, and Monroe are all worse than the top 150 players in the league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Indy wrote:
Yep. Forgot about him.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Cap wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
Indy wrote:

VORP is heavily affected by the teammates around you.There is no way that Warren is the 405th best player in the NBA. Considering there are 150 starters in the league any given night, I have a hard time saying that Booker, TJ, Alex, and Monroe are all worse than the top 150 players in the league.
VORP was just the one I looked up. It's hardly definitive. RPM tells a similar story, as do subjective rankings like http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nb ... ulm887ofge and http://hoopshype.com/2017/09/03/we-have ... r-2017-18/ . Yeah, he's not really the 405th-best player in the league, but he's also not ranked among the starting-caliber SFs in the league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

He is the 5th ranked SF by PER

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:He is the 5th ranked SF by PER
Because he is a very good offensive player, which is rewarded by PER.

I have a hard time trusting advanced defensive stats. On the other hand, I love synergy stuff like %allowed, deflections, etc.