Suns News: Week 12 1/1-1/7

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Suns News: Week 12 1/1-1/7

Post by carey »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Booker/Bradley would still have the ball movement/assist problem. Neither is a PG
I don't think we need a Nash-like PG with this team. That type of PG seems to be one-in-a-hundred lately at the pro-level. If we don't draft Young I'd be good with Bradley. Chriss, Bender, Booker and Jackson are all VERY good passers. We could have an exceptional passing team. We just need an offense that utilizes those strengths in our players.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Booker/Bradley would still have the ball movement/assist problem. Neither is a PG
I don't think we need a Nash-like PG with this team. That type of PG seems to be one-in-a-hundred lately at the pro-level. If we don't draft Young I'd be good with Bradley. Chriss, Bender, Booker and Jackson are all VERY good passers. We could have an exceptional passing team. We just need an offense that utilizes those strengths in our players.
The ball movement sure looked good last night. I think it's the best out of the Suns in a couple years. Very promising. I'm liking Triano more and more.
"Be Legendary."

jonh

Post by jonh »

Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:
The ball movement sure looked good last night. I think it's the best out of the Suns in a couple years. Very promising. I'm liking Triano more and more.
I agree. Just as a quick hot take, I feel like I have watched Suns players develop more in the last 43 games than I have the past several seasons.

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Split T wrote:We seem to be playing the right guys. The top 6 minute getters are the 6 I'd want getting the most minutes.
I wish Len were higher. But maybe we have already made up our mind on that one. I think we'll regret letting him go.
i'm guessing that if we looked at avg per minute Len would be:
#3 points, #1 rebounds, and high in other stats as well

can anyone tell me a significant reason why per minute stats aren't more often utilized in evaluating players?

TOO

Post by TOO »

jonh wrote:
Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:
I agree. Just as a quick hot take, I feel like I have watched Suns players develop more in the last 43 games than I have the past several seasons.
Sigh. Lets force Booker at PG, wear him out, gonna be great.

I give up.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

jonh wrote:
Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:

I give up.
Does nothing this squad and coach are doing excite you? I feel like I see a lot of sarcasm and backhanded compliments lately in your posts. Enjoy these young guys and the strides they are making.

Maybe you've been spending time with Informer?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I hope the example of James Harden doesn't fool a bunch of teams into trying to run combo guards as PGs again.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I don’t see how Bradley fits with Booker in the backcourt offensively unless Book will be the full time PG. Bradley’s not a shot creator. And he’s going to cost a fortune.

carey

Post by carey »

Shabazz wrote:I don’t see how Bradley fits with Booker in the backcourt offensively unless Book will be the full time PG. Bradley’s not a shot creator. And he’s going to cost a fortune.
Now that is much more of a reason not to sign him.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

jonh

Post by jonh »

jonh wrote:
Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:

I give up.
Im confused. How is what I posted advocating for Point Booker? I was referencing how several Suns players appear to be developing this year (TJ's consistency, Bender's defense and willingness to shoot, Chriss's rebounding and defense).

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Gambo was talking about the Suns going after Goran if the Heat somehow fall out of the playoff hunt and he becomes available. This wasn't a rumor, just a thought he threw out there. I would be all for it depending on the cost. I would give them back their pick this year + a second round pick for him in a heartbeat.

carey

Post by carey »

I heard McDonough and Goran patched things up his last visit to Phoenix. That said it was also described as being put to bed and that Goran was "glad it's over with." I don't see him wanting to come back for a 3rd trip around the Sun.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If Goran Dragic ever came back here AGAIN, you'd have to call that Stockholm Syndrome or something. Why he would ever want to play here again would be beyond me. There's just no way. The guy has to have some pride.

TOO

Post by TOO »

AmareIsGod wrote:
jonh wrote:
Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:

I give up.
Does nothing this squad and coach are doing excite you? I feel like I see a lot of sarcasm and backhanded compliments lately in your posts. Enjoy these young guys and the strides they are making.

Sure, Benders progress excites me, Booker's future excites me. Slimmer Chriss has flashed lately, that's exciting. Still don't like Chriss or Jackson all that much, and loathe the idea of forcing Booker into a role that will focus everything on him night in and night out. Hate it, he's already turnover prone and that will just exacerbate the problem further.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:
Agreed. Jordan and Kobe didn't have a classic PG. And you don't need to go that high in the all time list. Brandon Roy, Vince Carter, TMac, Pierce. You don't need a distributor when the SG/SF is a monster playmaker and shotmaker. Booker is already an outstanding shotmaker and is on his way to become the creator for others, as he is facing constant double teams from the very beginning and is showing nice adaptation, enabling his teammates more and more.

Bradley would cost a fortune, that's true. $20M per, easily. But he is a dog on defense, makes threes and can carry the ball just enough to be a catalyst to Booker. And is young enough to last through a hypothetical 4 year contract.

To me he looks like a perfect target to consider in the offseason, although much will depend on what happens in the draft.

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
jonh wrote:
Superbone wrote: The ball movement sure looked good last night. I think it's the best out of the Suns in a couple years. Very promising. I'm liking Triano more and more.

I give up.

Sure, Benders progress excites me, Booker's future excites me. Slimmer Chriss has flashed lately, that's exciting. Still don't like Chriss or Jackson all that much, and loathe the idea of forcing Booker into a role that will focus everything on him night in and night out. Hate it, he's already turnover prone and that will just exacerbate the problem further.
How do you define Turn Over prone? I don't see it when I watch him play. I went to BB-ref and saw there are only 16 players in the league with a usage close to Booker (over 30%). He is right in the middle of the pack on TO% for those guys (13.8), better than Boogie, Lebron, Embiid and Westbrook, but not as good as Giannis, Kyrie and DeRozan.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Indy wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
jonh wrote:

I give up.

How do you define Turn Over prone? I don't see it when I watch him play. I went to BB-ref and saw there are only 16 players in the league with a usage close to Booker (over 30%). He is right in the middle of the pack on TO% for those guys (13.8), better than Boogie, Lebron, Embiid and Westbrook, but not as good as Giannis, Kyrie and DeRozan.
He is also 21 and didn't play as a lead ballhandler at all in college, or even much during his first 2 years in the NBA. If anything, playing him more as a lead guard will improve his minor turnover issues as he gets more experience with that role. Also, what is this idea that it will wear him down? Is every PG in the league a worn down wreck? No. Why would play Booker at PG wear him down more than any of the other 29 starting PGs in the league? He is a young kid, if we want him to become the best player he possibly could, we need to give him every inch of space and opportunity to flex and grown.

Split T

Post by Split T »

There is evidence to support that a high turnover rate as a young player is actually a good thing.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

n4th4n wrote:
Indy wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

I give up.

He is also 21 and didn't play as a lead ballhandler at all in college, or even much during his first 2 years in the NBA. If anything, playing him more as a lead guard will improve his minor turnover issues as he gets more experience with that role. Also, what is this idea that it will wear him down? Is every PG in the league a worn down wreck? No. Why would play Booker at PG wear him down more than any of the other 29 starting PGs in the league? He is a young kid, if we want him to become the best player he possibly could, we need to give him every inch of space and opportunity to flex and grown.
I’m not worried about Booker. Hes going to be fine wherever we play him. Let’s focus on surrounding him with people that don’t waste his talents.

Cap

Post by Cap »

specialsauce wrote: Let’s focus on surrounding him with people that don’t waste his talents.
That may call for prayer or sacrifice to the lottery gods or god, since it's starting to look like we won't have a lot of ping pong balls. We need some luck for once.

When was the last time we moved up? '87?