2018 Phoenix Suns Pick Watch

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
England Sun

Re: 2018 Phoenix Suns Pick Watch

Post by England Sun »

Superbone wrote:
England Sun wrote:You guys do know that the year we need the number one and finish first in the tankathon we will drop down the draft. Don’t get your hopes up until those balls have been drawn!
That's a given, ES. But luckily it's a 5/6 player draft. If we can have the very best odds going in, I'll settle for our expected 4th pick. It's better than the 7th.
It’s difficult for me over the pond as we just don’t get much college ball so I have to rely on you guys and YouTube clips for info.

There seems to be close to consensus about the possible top 3 (Donic, Ayton and Bagley) but then it seems to be any one from 5 fornthe 4th pick.

One I’m not drawn to is Bamba and I’ve loved watching Young’s development. I don’t know enough about Donic even here in Europe as Euroball is so boring to watch. I do like what I hear about Ayton and if we are going big man he may be it.

With the amount of ‘asset’ hoarding McD has done I’d love to get 2 top picks this year but doesn’t look like that will be possible.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Cap

Post by Cap »

England Sun wrote: With the amount of ‘asset’ hoarding McD has done I’d love to get 2 top picks this year but doesn’t look like that will be possible.
All he has to do is not have traded for Brandon Knight. :evil:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:Well, I did say almost!
You do know what team we’re talking about and how much luck they’ve had in the draft, right? Neal Walk versus Kareem Abdul Jabbar says it all.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
The Bobster wrote:Well, I did say almost!
You do know what team we’re talking about and how much luck they’ve had in the draft, right? Neal Walk versus Kareem Abdul Jabbar says it all.
And Armon Gilliam versus David Robinson.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Keeping that in mind, I would prefer the Heat to stay in the playoffs and surrender the 15th, otherwise, combining their luck and our luck... they could easily miss the playoffs at 12th and then proceed to win the lottery over our own pick.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JCSunsfan wrote:I think McD is going to trade that Heat pick. Just because it will be in demand and he is going to want more of a sure thing at that spot.
I could definitely see him doing something stupid like that. We'll never learn.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:I think McD is going to trade that Heat pick. Just because it will be in demand and he is going to want more of a sure thing at that spot.
I could definitely see him doing something stupid like that. We'll never learn.
You don’t even know what he’d get in return and you already hate it. Lol.

What if he traded it for that pick + Warren + Chriss for AD, or another young player with star potential ? Would you still hate it?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Anthony Davis?! Come on Sauce...
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I think AD may be available, but I think the price would be our pick, Jackson, Bender, and their choice of Len or Payton as salary filler.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Cap

Post by Cap »

And the pick would probably have to be high enough to pick Ayton or Doncic.

Split T

Post by Split T »

What makes you guys think AD will be available this summer? I think that's highly unlikely

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:What makes you guys think AD will be available this summer? I think that's highly unlikely
I think he may be available. You never know with the Pels.

But to answer your question, once Cousins leaves, I think it's possible AD asks to be traded. He's had 6 years of really bad teams, and the Pels have nothing but the midlevel exception to improve the roster with.

Alternately (but less likely), the Pels could realize that he is the only guy on the roster with trade value, and just start rebuilding now by dumping him for a whole bunch of young talent.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I guess it's possible, but the Pelicans are playing pretty good right now without cousins. AD is signed for like 3 more years and there would be no rush to move him. I think cousins probably re-signs as well.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

No way suns getting AD with heat pick. I do think there is a good chance that we could use it to try and get Kevin Love or a player of that caliber, especially if we’re able to draft Doncic or Ayton to pair Love with.

Doncic-Booker-Warren-Love-Bender

Payton-Booker-Warren-Love-Ayton

I’d be very happy with either.

carey

Post by carey »

Are we talking about the unprotected pick or this year's pick from the Heat?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:I guess it's possible, but the Pelicans are playing pretty good right now without cousins. AD is signed for like 3 more years and there would be no rush to move him. I think cousins probably re-signs as well.
Without Cousins, they are 4-5 and are 1 game ahead of the Clips and Jazz for the last playoff spot. I agree that the Pels aren't going to be in a rush to move AD. But I think it's possible AD is sick of carrying the load on a team that might barely make the playoffs.

Of course, if they can somehow resign Cousins, then AD is not going to be on the market.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

carey wrote:Are we talking about the unprotected pick or this year's pick from the Heat?
This year’s pick.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The only way AD gets traded is if he goes to their FO and demands it, says "I'm leaving no matter what; trade me if you want anything for me." Even then they might try to mend fences and see if they could repair the relationship.

If he does leave, I don't think the package described above is very enticing. I bet they could get a better offer than that.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:Anthony Davis?! Come on Sauce...
Sure, it’s a ridiculous stretch. But already saying that McD is an idiot for trading the pick before even knowing the return is also ridiculous. Admit it!

If Lebron left and they traded the pick + Chriss and Chandler to the Cavs for Love, would you still hate it?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Averaging the All-Star Break projections (from the simulations on ESPN, Basketball-Reference & FiveThirtyEight) for the bottom 10 teams -

Team - ESPN/B-Ref/538 - Avg.
PHO - 23-59/24-58/24-58 - 24-58
ATL - 26-56/26-55/25-57 - 26-56
SAC - 26-56/26-56/26-56 - 26-56
BRK - 27-55/28-54/26-56 - 27-55
DAL - 29-53/29-53/27-55 - 28-54
MEM - 28-54/29-53/27-55 - 28-54
ORL - 28-54/28-54/28-54 - 28-54
CHI - 28-54/29-53/29-53 - 29-53
NYK - 33-49/33-49/32-50 - 33-49
LAL - 33-49/34-48/34-48 - 34-48
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695