2018 Phoenix Suns Pick Watch

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SunsRIt

Re: 2018 Phoenix Suns Pick Watch

Post by SunsRIt »

This sucks. Remember when being a Suns fan was actually fun?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SunsRIt wrote:This sucks. Remember when being a Suns fan was actually fun?
Yeah, before a certain owner showed up starting with 'S' and ending in 'r'. Unfortunately, he's not a savior. He inherited a very good team just as they were acquiring Nash and after that played out, we have gone down ever since except for our "lucky" blip before the Dragic screw-over job.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The one year there isn't a consensus #1 pick...

I really hope we don't fall into any of the traps in the top 10.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:Lakers pick looks like it will probably be 10/11. Obviously the trade still sucks, but it lessens the sting a little that we didn't miss out on a top 5 pick.
Yes, but, do you know what I'd rather have a top 8-12 pick than? Hint: B _ _ _ _ _ _ K _ _ _ _ _.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Superbone wrote:
Yeah, before a certain owner showed up starting with 'S' and ending in 'r'. Unfortunately, he's not a savior. He inherited a very good team just as they were acquiring Nash and after that played out, we have gone down ever since except for our "lucky" blip before the Dragic screw-over job.
I agree. He bought the team for just over $400 million, last valuation I saw was the team being worth about $1.1 billion. Isn't it time for him to take his
$700 million in profit and go?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Split T wrote:Lakers pick looks like it will probably be 10/11. Obviously the trade still sucks, but it lessens the sting a little that we didn't miss out on a top 5 pick.
Yes, but, do you know what I'd rather have a top 8-12 pick than? Hint: B _ _ _ _ _ _ K _ _ _ _ _.
I agree, hence the "trade still sucks" comment. In hindsight it's just not as bad as it could have been. It's no Celtics/nets trade.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Rasketball-reference.com and TheFiveThiryEight.com both have the suns with the best odds for the #1 pick, and have the Heat pick around #15-#17. Basketball_reference.com's simulation has the Suns with an 82% chance of landing in the top 4 picks and a 96% chance of being in the top 6.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:Rasketball-reference.com and TheFiveThiryEight.com both have the suns with the best odds for the #1 pick, and have the Heat pick around #15-#17. Basketball_reference.com's simulation has the Suns with an 82% chance of landing in the top 4 picks and a 96% chance of being in the top 6.
I love it! Keep 'em coming, Bobster!
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Bobster wrote:Rasketball-reference.com and TheFiveThiryEight.com both have the suns with the best odds for the #1 pick, and have the Heat pick around #15-#17. Basketball_reference.com's simulation has the Suns with an 82% chance of landing in the top 4 picks and a 96% chance of being in the top 6.
That 48 point loss sure helped. I'm sure those sites factor point differential into their projections and that loss dropped us below Sacramento for the worst point differential in the NBA. Have we lost 3 games by 40 points this year? Has that ever happened before?
Last edited by Split T on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Hmm. Top pick. Heat pick in the #15-#17 range. Our pick next year. Josh Jackson or TJ Warren as trade bait. I would think it might be possible to get two picks in the top 7.

Say we get #1. We could trade down to 3 or 4. Pick up another number 1 pick (2019). Combine that with Miami pick and an additional asset (TJ or the Suns pick next year), move to 7. Pick up Jackson or Bamba (or Porter if he falls that far).

First pick. One of Doncic, Young, or Ayton.
Second pick. One of Porter, Jackson, Bamba, Bagley.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Atlanta just beat Detroit. We're only half a loss behind Sacramento for top spot in the Tankathon!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think if we keep holding Booker out for a while, we'll be in great tanking shape.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I'm not too worried about the next game (Monday vs. Golden State).

I just want to see a good effort.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:I'm not too worried about the next game (Monday vs. Golden State).

I just want to see a good effort.
Speaking of which...
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

ESPN.com's projected records also has the Suns coming in last/first -

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/BP ... ayoff-odds

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Really good to hear as this will be the deepest draft in memory. I wonder if any of these projections take Elfrid Payton into account. His facilitating last night resulted in a much faster pace for our team. The Suns posted season highs in field goal percentage (54.8) and points in the paint (66).
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

But still lost (their defense is an even bigger issue than their offense). I think the projections are based on the team's play up to this point since they can't account for variables like future injuries, changes in playing time and player transactions.

On the bright side -the Suns have a tough schedule from here on out, so that bodes well when it comes to draft position.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Superbone wrote:
WTF - you are mister positive - the master of PMA on this board

The truth, the whole truth nothing but the truth.

If McDonough is around for the draft I hope he does not crap his pants, or should I say ours.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.