2018 Phoenix Suns Pick Watch

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2018 Phoenix Suns Pick Watch

Post by Split T »

I think McD wants Ayton, he'll take him if we land 1

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Cap wrote:
carey wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Back to our picks, MIA is #16 and MIL is #17. They are separated by one win. MIL currently keeps the pick, but if the lose to the 76rs (fighting for the 3rd seed) and MIA wins against Orlando, the tie goes in favor of MIA, dropping MIL one slot and sending us their 1stR.
Interesting. Thank you for the break down. I think that is a scenario that is possible but Miami is very hit or miss lately and plays down to their competition. I don't like our chances betting on them to win even against Orlando who are terrible. The only interesting thing is that Dallas, Atlanta and Orlando are all tied right now with a record of 24-57 so it is actually in their best interest to lose to Miami. We know that the Suns play Dallas and Miami plays Orlando but Atlanta plays the 76ers who, like you said, are trying to win.
Tie breakers don’t matter for draft order. It’s a coin flip.
Oh, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks Cap.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:How about this scenario: The Suns get the #1 pick, decide that the guy they want could be had at #3.
Funny, I've been thinking about trading out of the first pick if the Suns landed it.
We are NOT trading out of our 1st #1 pick in franchise history! We just aren't. We just pick our number one choice. No messing around.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:How about this scenario: The Suns get the #1 pick, decide that the guy they want could be had at #3.
Funny, I've been thinking about trading out of the first pick if the Suns landed it.
What kind of trade are you picturing? Trade down how far, and then (hopefully) pick whom?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Mo Bamba is kinda growing on me.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I can’t think of a worse plan than trading down from a top 2 pick.

No freakin way. Unless it ends with Kawhi on the Suns

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:Mo Bamba is kinda growing on me.
Yeah, I'm liking him more, too. I think its the Harrison effect. I want more players who defend and get to the rim like Shaq.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I like that he's not just a tall shotblocker. Seems to have good instincts all around, great touch on his shot, can handle a little bit and shows a lot of fire. He's not playing just because he's tall, which I worry about sometimes. His frame gives me pause because it doesn't look like he'll be able to add a lot more bulk. Strength, yes, but I feel like if he stood behind a guy like Ayton, you wouldn't be able to see him. He's narrow.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Explain to me why you guys would prefer Bamba to JJJ?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

JJJ really fell off in the last half of the season. It's like he scared himself with that 27 point game. His overall numbers still look good, but he was a genuinely awful rebounder in the second half, and overall didn't play too well. Plus, his style of play and development arc is going to be very similar to Bender. He's an outside-in player, and a project. We already have one of those.

Bamba is more like young Chandler with a good looking jumper and can dribble some in the open court. His game starts at the rim. I think he can make an immediate impact with blocks, rebounds, and dunks, then grow his game from there.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The way I see it. They both project as defensive anchors/floor stretchers who might be able to do a little more off the dribble. They were pretty similar as rim protectors with Bamba being a much better rebounder. Jackson is the much more advanced shooter right now. I'm worried about the rebounding and the somewhat pedestrian numbers overall, but I don't think he was used properly in college. He played at the 4 almost exclusively and played limited minutes overall.

I think I'd just take Carter right now though. He's maybe not the elite rim protector talent, but he rebounds, he shoots, plays D, and is a more accomplished passer.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I do like Carter. Seems like an Al Horford type impact player.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think I want them to draft Doncic. I want them to run a non-traditional lineup with no true PG. Run Booker, Doncic, Jackson as our 1-3 and just figure it out. That's a really fun lineup with a ton of scoring punch and pretty good overall team ball handling and distribution. No need for a pure PG like Peyton who always holds the ball and can't shoot.

At the 4/5 we can go for a FA/trade like Kevin Love or DeAndre Jordan. We've also got some rotation pieces there like Bender and Big Sauce.

I know that Euros are often thought of as risky projects, but this is different. Most of those risky Euros are 18-year-olds who are sitting the bench on some Kinder Bologna team in Kerplachistan getting 3 minutes/game. Doncic is already a pro ball player, and he leads a team against competition that's better than NCAA competition, and he's averaging 22 and 6 or whatever. He actually feels like he's more battle-tested than these one-and-done NCAA guys.

I like Ayton, too, but I just have this weird feeling that he's not the kind of player who is going to dominate the NBA in the 2020s. And it bugs me that he just kind of let U of A get walked over in the NCAA tournament. He didn't impose any kind of will or do much to bring the game back. He was just kind of out there, scoring the occasional basket when the ball happened to come his way. I didn't see the impact I wanted to see from him. I guess another way I'd say it is that I have more confidence that we can figure out what to do with our bigs than that we could replace a unicorn player like Doncic who might totally transform the team he gets put on.

Indy

Post by Indy »

It worries me that he shoots such a low percentage from 3. With Jackson, Warren and whomever we put at 5 that isn't Bender, we have no shooting besides Booker.

EDC

Post by EDC »

Bucks down 38 to the 76'ers.

Unfortunately the Heat are down by 10 to the Raptors and surprisingly the Wizards are down 8 to the Magic.

If just one of the Heat or Wizards win their game we get a coin flip to see whether we get the pick or not.

76'ers are kinda scary. If they win tonight that is 16 in a row. Embiid has been out and they are missing Redick tonight.

EDC

Post by EDC »

Ellington with the big three! Putting the Heat up by 2 with 19 seconds to go.

EDC

Post by EDC »

Overtime :(

EDC

Post by EDC »

Magic up 7 with a minute to go. Magic fans must be on suicide watch.

EDC

Post by EDC »

Heat up 6 and going to the line with 22 seconds left. Looks like we at least get a coin flip chance at the Bucks pick.

So we definitely get the 16th pick and maybe the 17th.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

EDC wrote:Heat up 6 and going to the line with 22 seconds left. Looks like we at least get a coin flip chance at the Bucks pick.

So we definitely get the 16th pick and maybe the 17th.
Oh after Wiz ridiculous game I thought that really put us in a worst position
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)