2018 Phoenix Suns Pick Watch

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
iLLmatic

Re: 2018 Phoenix Suns Pick Watch

Post by iLLmatic »

Warren would make a great 6th man off the bench. He'd provide that scoring punch we'd need when some of the starters need a breather. I'm not sure he's going to be willing to take on that role though.
Last edited by iLLmatic on Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It's funny how many of us felt that Warren should have been starting when he was behind P.J., but now many are clamoring for him to be moved to the 6th man role even though we know he is currently the Suns 2nd best player. That speaks to the amount of lack of talent on this team right now. Same with Payton, where he is thought to be best served coming in as the backup pg. If the off-season is done right, they could upgrade 5-6 positions including bench.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The only guys I actively want to keep are Booker and Jackson. The only guys I really want to drop are Len and Chriss. Everybody else is situational.

Booker - untouchable
Jackson - not on the trading block (but I could be convinced)
Bender - I'd like to keep him because I think he will improve. His value 2 years from now will be higher than today. But if someone calls asking - he is available.
Warren and Payton - I'd be happy to move them for value. We can bring them back if we can't find replacements for them and nobody else wants them. (It's rare you turn over your whole roster in one summer.)
Williams and Ulis - They really don't have any value around the league. They can stay as practice players who you can trust in the game situationally.
Chandler and Dudley - I wouldn't give up an asset to get rid of them. I would hope to use their expiring contracts to upgrade somewhere or grab a draft pick.
Reed, Daniels, Harrison, Peters - Roster filler. I'm happy to drop any of these guys for rookies or vets.
Len and Chriss - Buh-bye.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

iLLmatic wrote:Warren would make a great 6th man off the bench. He'd provide that scoring punch we'd need when some of the starters need a breather. I'm not sure he's going to be willing to take on that role though.
Warren deserves 25-30 mpg as a sixth man. The problem is you can’t play him and Jackson together with neither hitting 3s. So there’s not 25-30 minutes available. I would trade him with our Miami and Milwaukee pick

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

O_Gardino wrote:The only guys I actively want to keep are Booker and Jackson. The only guys I really want to drop are Len and Chriss. Everybody else is situational.

Booker - untouchable
Bender - I'd like to keep him because I think he will improve. His value 2 years from now will be higher than today. But if someone calls asking - he is available.
Warren and Payton - I'd be happy to move them for value. We can bring them back if we can't find replacements for them and nobody else wants them. (It's rare you turn over your whole roster in one summer.)
Williams and Ulis - They really don't have any value around the league. They can stay as practice players who you can trust in the game situationally.
Chandler and Dudley - I wouldn't give up an asset to get rid of them. I would hope to use their expiring contracts to upgrade somewhere or grab a draft pick.
Reed, Daniels, Harrison, Peters - Roster filler. I'm happy to drop any of these guys for rookies or vets.
You forgot Knight... who is abysmal and sucking down 14 million per year.

I'm surprised you're down on Alan WIlliams. He's been injured, but he was our best PF and C on the team last year by multiple metrics.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Wormwood wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:The only guys I actively want to keep are Booker and Jackson. The only guys I really want to drop are Len and Chriss. Everybody else is situational.

Booker - untouchable
You forgot Knight... who is abysmal and sucking down 14 million per year.

I'm surprised you're down on Alan WIlliams. He's been injured, but he was our best PF and C on the team last year by multiple metrics.
I keep trying to forget Knight, and you jerks keep reminding me!

I'm not really on Williams, but being the best big on our team for 30 games is a pretty short resume. At best, he's a reliable reserve. Seems like a great locker room guy, so I'm in no hurry to dump him, but I hope he's not our best big next season.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think Knight is going to play next year, so we should be ready. Hopefully he's figured out how to play off the bench.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:I think Knight is going to play next year, so we should be ready. Hopefully he's figured out how to play off the bench.
He hasn’t even figured out how not to gripe about playing off the bench.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

specialsauce wrote:Warren is a dime a dozen.

I wouldn’t trade Jackson and #15+16 for Doncic.

But warren is a dime a dozen no mistaking that. Clarkson. Crawford. Nick Young. Lou Williams. All current examples of the type of player TJ is off the top of my head. You absolutely cannot okay TJ and JJ together, EVER. The lack of 3 point shooting is a deal breaker. So I don’t like having both of them on this team because they both deserve minutes. And TJ is easily expendable.
That is an answer I was looking for and I can understand why some, probably most, want to keep Jackson. However I do think that Jackson has a lot of value around the league and that other teams would consider trading their pick of Doncic for him. I do not think anyone is trading Doncic for a package including Warren.

I think the real quesion is what we do with our pick if Donic as well as Ayton & Bagley are still available. I do not think it is a foregone conclusion that we pick Ayton or Bagley.

Is a big really more important than a legit playmaker? It appears that there are several bigs that are capable of protecting the rim, rebounding and finishing in the paint that will be available in the top 10. Could we use our draft picks and maybe Warren to move up to get one of those guys if we draft Doncic?

Let's hope we are in position to have to make these decisions.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Can someone explain why everyone thinks Warren is better as a 6th man? To me, thats generally been a role for a guy who can come in and get buckets for the team without help from others. I don't think that is Warrens forte. Am I missing something here?
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Can someone explain why everyone thinks Warren is better as a 6th man? To me, thats generally been a role for a guy who can come in and get buckets for the team without help from others. I don't think that is Warrens forte. Am I missing something here?
Seriously?

That’s the ONLY thing he does well.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JustWinBaby wrote:
specialsauce wrote:Warren is a dime a dozen.

I wouldn’t trade Jackson and #15+16 for Doncic.

But warren is a dime a dozen no mistaking that. Clarkson. Crawford. Nick Young. Lou Williams. All current examples of the type of player TJ is off the top of my head. You absolutely cannot okay TJ and JJ together, EVER. The lack of 3 point shooting is a deal breaker. So I don’t like having both of them on this team because they both deserve minutes. And TJ is easily expendable.
That is an answer I was looking for and I can understand why some, probably most, want to keep Jackson. However I do think that Jackson has a lot of value around the league and that other teams would consider trading their pick of Doncic for him. I do not think anyone is trading Doncic for a package including Warren.

I think the real quesion is what we do with our pick if Donic as well as Ayton & Bagley are still available. I do not think it is a foregone conclusion that we pick Ayton or Bagley.

Is a big really more important than a legit playmaker? It appears that there are several bigs that are capable of protecting the rim, rebounding and finishing in the paint that will be available in the top 10. Could we use our draft picks and maybe Warren to move up to get one of those guys if we draft Doncic?

Let's hope we are in position to have to make these decisions.
I probably wouldn’t trade Jackson for Doncic, but I could see the attraction of coming away with both Ayton and Doncic to run with Booker and then you keep Warren. But between Doncic Booker and Warren, that would be an awful defensive lineup.

azsportsfan

Post by azsportsfan »

specialsauce wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Can someone explain why everyone thinks Warren is better as a 6th man? To me, thats generally been a role for a guy who can come in and get buckets for the team without help from others. I don't think that is Warrens forte. Am I missing something here?
Seriously?

I think the point is that he scores well of being set up. Not so much going one on one.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

That is true. 62% of his shots are assisted. But I don't see how that makes a difference. He has been scoring with trash surrounding him all year.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

azsportsfan wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Seriously?

I think the point is that he scores well of being set up. Not so much going one on one.
But that is because he is so good moving without the ball. Its not like other players are spoon feeding him his points.

TOO

Post by TOO »

azsportsfan wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Seriously?

You got it.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

TOO

Post by TOO »

specialsauce wrote:
Seriously?

:?
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Split T

Post by Split T »

After this week, 8 of our final 14 games are against the top 7 teams in the NBA. I feel pretty good about our pick. Only 3 games against the bottom 7.

Also Brooklyn with a win tonight.

EternalChampion

Post by EternalChampion »

Yeah I don't get the 6th man role either. TJ is a strong complementary scorer but if he's out there as the focal point of the offense, it's too easy to take him out of the play. He needs to be in a lineup that spreads the court for him to work his magic. He'd be great as a starter next to Booker if we also had a Dragic along with Frye-type clones at the 4 and 5. But with some combination of Ulis, Payton, Len, Chandler, Chriss and Bender out there you can't afford a small forward that can't shoot from distance.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

EternalChampion wrote:
Yeah I don't get the 6th man role either. TJ is a strong complementary scorer but if he's out there as the focal point of the offense, it's too easy to take him out of the play. He needs to be in a lineup that spreads the court for him to work his magic. He'd be great as a starter next to Booker if we also had a Dragic along with Frye-type clones at the 4 and 5. But with some combination of Ulis, Payton, Len, Chandler, Chriss and Bender out there you can't afford a small forward that can't shoot from distance.
Agreed on the last point
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass