Game Day: Suns (15-25) @ Spurs (26-13), Fri 1/5/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
TOO

Re: Game Day: Suns (15-25) @ Spurs (26-13), Fri 1/5/18

Post by TOO »

The biggest takeaway for me is always how much help Booker needs in the backcourt. He has to do everything himself, get his shot, get others a shot, deal with double teams etc.. One day we'll have a good PG to take some of the pressure off. One day... :(
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

azsportsfan wrote:My frustration is not that the team is bad at what they are trying to do. It is that more often than not they don't know WHAT they are supposed to do. It is like Booker is trying to organize a circus out there. Perhaps the Caanan absence was really that detrimental. The absence of Warren hurt of course as well, as far as points and Spurs defensive focus.
Ulis is one of those players that all too often has played for this team in the past decade. He just does not have what it takes to be a NBA player but he is pawned as one by this franchise.

Caanan may in the end be no better but at least he looks like he has the potential to be a factor down the road.

I expect Ulis is a great guy and he is good friends with Booker. That does not mean that he should be on an NBA roster.

The only criticism I agree with against Triano are the minutes he is giving to Alex Len. Len deserves more minutes. Wow did I really say that?
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:The biggest takeaway for me is always how much help Booker needs in the backcourt. He has to do everything himself, get his shot, get others a shot, deal with double teams etc.. One day we'll have a good PG to take some of the pressure off. One day... :(
I can't wait for that day.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JustWinBaby wrote:
azsportsfan wrote:My frustration is not that the team is bad at what they are trying to do. It is that more often than not they don't know WHAT they are supposed to do. It is like Booker is trying to organize a circus out there. Perhaps the Caanan absence was really that detrimental. The absence of Warren hurt of course as well, as far as points and Spurs defensive focus.
Ulis is one of those players that all too often has played for this team in the past decade. He just does not have what it takes to be a NBA player but he is pawned as one by this franchise.

Caanan may in the end be no better but at least he looks like he has the potential to be a factor down the road.

I expect Ulis is a great guy and he is good friends with Booker. That does not mean that he should be on an NBA roster.

The only criticism I agree with against Triano are the minutes he is giving to Alex Len. Len deserves more minutes. Wow did I really say that?
I agree about Len needing more time versus Chandler. I also don't understand what the Monroe plan is. He is so far and above our other centers offensively. He's really something to watch on offense.
"Be Legendary."

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

My guess is Triano is limited by management on how/when to play Monroe and Len.
Because Chandler has a larger contract and has a championship ring, management defers to him, like he's some sort of NBA royalty/Jedi knight.
It has the stink of the false Prince, Sarver the faux puppet master.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

LazarusLong wrote:My guess is Triano is limited by management on how/when to play Monroe and Len.
Because Chandler has a larger contract and has a championship ring, management defers to him, like he's some sort of NBA royalty/Jedi knight.
Before I put Sean Elliott on MUTE this was basically one of the things he said which I got a big laugh from. Saying that Chandler is a vet with pedigree that has a big role on this team of showing these bunch of young guys how to play the right way.....
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

bajanguy008 wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:My guess is Triano is limited by management on how/when to play Monroe and Len.
Before I put Sean Elliott on MUTE this was basically one of the things he said which I got a big laugh from. Saying that Chandler is a vet with pedigree that has a big role on this team of showing these bunch of young guys how to play the right way.....
It would be nice if another team wanted to give up a high 1st for that pedigree.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

always follow the money. the money says the centers sit out whole games so their stats aren't diminished.
both Chandler and Monroe are on the market.
playing Len starter minutes will make him more desirable for other teams to sign.
either they're trying to keep him or already know he won't stay (in the latter case, we're playing for a draft pick, not a playoff position so why start him?)

if they can't sign Len, i don't understand why Monroe isn't a keeper

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

:-)

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/950063663217459201

TOO

Post by TOO »

If we are letting Len walk, I'd make that deal. Lonzo and Booker could work. Feel free to destroy me now :D
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Getting Lonzo for Bender and expirings would be a steal, regardless of the circus brought by his father. My guess is we'd also have to throw in a pick, not nearly as protected as we would like.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I would prefer that deal if it were Chriss going out and not Bender. Make that change and I am all in.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I would prefer that deal if it were Chriss going out and not Bender. Make that change and I am all in.
Feh. If there are no picks involved, and it's just Monroe/Len/Bender or Monroe/Len/Chriss for Zo and Deng, it's a steal either way. I include whichever of our sophomores is needed to close the deal.

Split T

Post by Split T »

We're taking the albatross that is Deng's contract. We better not have to throw anything else in because that would cripple us in free agency over the next couple years.

I know a lot of you love Ball, but he's been almost as disappointing as Jackson. Ball's shooting numbers are somehow worse and while his counting stats are decent, he's also the starting PG and plays a lot of minutes. He could figure it out, but if you're worried about Jackson's shot and not Ball's, then you might be missing something.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:We're taking the albatross that is Deng's contract. We better not have to throw anything else in because that would cripple us in free agency over the next couple years.

I know a lot of you love Ball, but he's been almost as disappointing as Jackson. Ball's shooting numbers are somehow worse and while his counting stats are decent, he's also the starting PG and plays a lot of minutes. He could figure it out, but if you're worried about Jackson's shot and not Ball's, then you might be missing something.
Stepien did a piece breaking down Ball's shooting, and basically showed the he is shooting the same percentages as in college on the same types of shot attempts. His overall % is worse because the Lakers have him taking a lot of the shots he is worst at. Kind of like what we do with Len every other season.

Shel broke it down pretty well before the draft. If you have Ball, you have to work around his shot. It isn't getting better. Someone else has to create in the half court and Ball just spots up or cuts to the basket.

But his rebounding and passing #s are historically good for a rookie, so there is still a lot of appeal.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Split T wrote:We're taking the albatross that is Deng's contract. We better not have to throw anything else in because that would cripple us in free agency over the next couple years.

Stepien did a piece breaking down Ball's shooting, and basically showed the he is shooting the same percentages as in college on the same types of shot attempts. His overall % is worse because the Lakers have him taking a lot of the shots he is worst at. Kind of like what we do with Len every other season.

Shel broke it down pretty well before the draft. If you have Ball, you have to work around his shot. It isn't getting better. Someone else has to create in the half court and Ball just spots up or cuts to the basket.

But his rebounding and passing #s are historically good for a rookie, so there is still a lot of appeal.

I may have to read this breakdown, but he's shooting 35% overall, 30% from 3, 46% at the rim and 48% from the free throw line. Those numbers don't strike me as someone who is just taking bad shots. For comparison, Jackson is 39% overall, 25% from 3, 53% at the rim and 57% from the free throw line. Both have a lot of work to do on their shots.

Cap

Post by Cap »

I don't think we we're expecting to attract a max-level UFA 2018 as things stand now, so it's not a huge sacrifice. And in the long run, having a PG like Ball might put us in a better position to attract free agents.
Personally, I'm not panicking about either one of them.

Split T

Post by Split T »

What about 2019? I haven't looked at the salaries but we'd have Deng+Knight for 32ish million, Warren for 12. If we give Booker a max extension this summer, would his contract be on the books before we sign any free agents? That's the year I'm worried about if we take on Deng's contract.

I see the appeal in it. Ball could be a really good player and could fit really well with Booker. I'm just not convinced he's worth the 36 million owed to Deng after this year, plus missing out on 2018/2019 free agents. If we can still work the cap to have enough space in 2019, then I'd be more open to the idea.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Split T wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

I may have to read this breakdown, but he's shooting 35% overall, 30% from 3, 46% at the rim and 48% from the free throw line. Those numbers don't strike me as someone who is just taking bad shots. For comparison, Jackson is 39% overall, 25% from 3, 53% at the rim and 57% from the free throw line. Both have a lot of work to do on their shots.
honestly I not gonna allow myself to do the hypothetical trades in my heads already lol but I will say this, I made sure to watch his game in The Garden because I wanted to see if he would play nervous/rattled tbh and that ended up being one of his better games to that point. I just checked his game log and he's been playing much better since that game
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, he has looked better recently. I just don't know if he's ever going to be the 40% 3pt shooter he was in college. Perhaps he'd look better here where he could let Booker create in the half court and just be a spot up shooter.