Game Day: Suns (15-25) @ Spurs (26-13), Fri 1/5/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Re: Game Day: Suns (15-25) @ Spurs (26-13), Fri 1/5/18

Post by Cap »

n4th4n wrote:Just checking in on the game now. Looks... reasonably close. How have the boys been playing?
It hasn't been a complete embarrassment, but we aren't losing any ping pong balls tonight. So, more or less where it should be.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Damn, 15 shots for Chriss so far tonight. That has to be approaching a career-high, right?

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Cap wrote:
n4th4n wrote:Just checking in on the game now. Looks... reasonably close. How have the boys been playing?
It hasn't been a complete embarrassment, but we aren't losing any ping pong balls tonight. So, more or less where it should be.
Haha, damn. Oh well. Always a bright side I guess...

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

See Bender, nice things can happen when you run the floor hard. He opens things up for a nice assist then misses an open three on the next possession.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

n4th4n wrote:I tune in and Chriss has two brutal turnovers right away. Not what you want to see.
Had some nice moves on offense but always several lazy/bone headed passes each game. It's a given.

azsportsfan

Post by azsportsfan »

We really need a coach.

TOO

Post by TOO »

azsportsfan wrote:We really need a coach.
I was a massive Triano detractor, but he's not the problem right now. The roster is pretty bad, can't shoot, can't defend, doesn't have an NBA starting caliber PG, our PFs are below league average.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

The best coach of all time couldn’t win with this roster. It’s not Triano. I’m not advocating he’s a great coach,more that even a great coach would have the same results.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
It might be a while before we win again.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Bucktastic365 wrote:
Cap wrote:It is a great tragedy that Joffrey Lauvergne never played with Paul Shirley.
Post of the night
I'd have to agree.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
I was a massive Triano detractor, but he's not the problem right now. The roster is pretty bad, can't shoot, can't defend, doesn't have an NBA starting caliber PG, our PFs are below league average.
Yup. Even missing Canaan hurt tonight. Ulis is often pretty careless with the ball. He had a couple inexcusable turnovers tonight.
"Be Legendary."

Bucktastic365

Post by Bucktastic365 »

Superbone wrote:
Yup. Even missing Canaan hurt tonight. Ulis is often pretty careless with the ball. He had a couple inexcusable turnovers tonight.
I have to say that I’m starting to not like seeing Ulis on the court.
Ok, I get that he’s gonna be horrible on defense because of his size, and that he’s going to have a hard time scoring, but the asinine turnovers are what’s really driving me over the edge. What’s even worse, most are to Book, who’s coming around the top of the key, directly leading to fast break opportunities.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Danimal wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:How are we so f*** bad at handoffs? Good grief.
There is no threat of the high post player doing anything so defenders can just shoot the gap.
THIS x 100 !!! :x :x

This was not a game for Tyson, not like there are many games he should be playing 25+ smh. watching how Monroe was making moves based on the defenders shooting the gap or sagging last game was good, I almost forgot because he was DNP 7 straight. Spurs are not a team to try play 4 on 5 against, they overplayed everything and after the Nuggets killed us with backdoor cuts it would have been nice if we did some of that tonight.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Bucktastic365 wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Ok, I get that he’s gonna be horrible on defense because of his size, and that he’s going to have a hard time scoring, but the asinine turnovers are what’s really driving me over the edge. What’s even worse, most are to Book, who’s coming around the top of the key, directly leading to fast break opportunities.
I try holding off on being too harsh on the young guys but I can't say I disagree. last season I think most of us accepted that Tyler would be taken advantage of sometimes on D in halfcourt but we knew he would be a pest fullcourt and that he would run the offense well. so far this year I'm not that confident he would make the right decisions and some of his turnovers like you said are head scratching badd

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Did I mention Tyson playing last night was frustrating to watch ?? geeez lol

Not only the standing n pivoting around in circles on offense but sitting too deep as usual and letting Pau get easy jumpers tsk tsk. One thing I didn't like was Triano gave Josh the quick hook like 2mins into the 3rd, Kawhi nearly stole the ball then next poss he had tried to beat Kawhi on a crossover and got picked clean. No shame in that for me having Kawhi force you into turnovers, I would have just left him in because those are the matchups that you tend to learn from.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Bucktastic365 wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I try holding off on being too harsh on the young guys but I can't say I disagree. last season I think most of us accepted that Tyler would be taken advantage of sometimes on D in halfcourt but we knew he would be a pest fullcourt and that he would run the offense well. so far this year I'm not that confident he would make the right decisions and some of his turnovers like you said are head scratching badd
He has hit a mental wall and is overthinking right now.

I honestly think he needs to finally come to terms with his size, and he's trying to figure out how to change his game. In college, he was clever enough to be a balanced scoring and passing guard. That's not working for him in the NBA, so he has to learn to pass pass pass. But right now he is just deferring to Book instead of aggressively dribbling to positions where he can move the ball to any open teammate.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

Ulis can get himself an open shot but can't make enough of them to be a threat -- it allows the defense to focus on his passing

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Here's the box score:

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400975319

Well, at least ... uh, Booker had 21 points. (And 6 turnovers.) I wish we would play Len big minutes in a game like this, but instead he gets just 15 minutes. In that short time he racks up 10 points and 5 boards. But then sit his ass back down on the bench, I guess.

carey

Post by carey »

2nd game this year I didn't bother to watch at all.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

azsportsfan

Post by azsportsfan »

My frustration is not that the team is bad at what they are trying to do. It is that more often than not they don't know WHAT they are supposed to do. It is like Booker is trying to organize a circus out there. Perhaps the Caanan absence was really that detrimental. The absence of Warren hurt of course as well, as far as points and Spurs defensive focus.