Suns News: Week 13 1/8-1/14

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns News: Week 13 1/8-1/14

Post by Split T »

AmareIsGod wrote:http://arizonasports.com/story/1373731/ ... enix-suns/

Current state of .netters reaction and analysis predition:

Is this an idirect swipe at his teammate, TJ Warren? Do I sense issues with the chemistry and Booker isn't too thrilled with all of the 2-pointers Tony Buckets is taking? Let's hope not otherwise we've got big problems internally and I could smell a trade brewing. Coach needs to start reigning in these guys and holding them accountable. It's turning into a bit of a frat house lately with guys doing whatever they want and not listening to coach. I don't like it one bit.

I'll be curious to see how the azsports.com community takes the post, as it's the near opposite of my typical comments.
We've got essentially a 10 man rotation. None of our centers take 3's. That leaves 8 guys who shoot 3's. We've got 3 that are bad and borderline terrible 3 pt shooters (Warren/Ulis/Jackson) 1 who's below average but capable (Chriss) 2 good 3 pt shooters (Canaan/bender) and 2 great shooters (Booker/Daniels)

Would be really nice to have Bender move into the great category, Chriss move into the good category and Warren/Ulis/Jackson to move into the capable category.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Probably not a swipe at him. But it should be taken as such. TJs game would’ve been best 15 years ago. Of course we’re 15 years behind with our philosophy at Center as well (bruiser with no offensive talent). That’s why I think TJ is best suited as a 6th man, or I wouldn’t hesitate to throw him into a trade for a star

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:

Is this an idirect swipe at his teammate, TJ Warren? Do I sense issues with the chemistry and Booker isn't too thrilled with all of the 2-pointers Tony Buckets is taking? Let's hope not otherwise we've got big problems internally and I could smell a trade brewing. Coach needs to start reigning in these guys and holding them accountable. It's turning into a bit of a frat house lately with guys doing whatever they want and not listening to coach. I don't like it one bit.

I'll be curious to see how the azsports.com community takes the post, as it's the near opposite of my typical comments.
We've got essentially a 10 man rotation. None of our centers take 3's. That leaves 8 guys who shoot 3's. We've got 3 that are bad and borderline terrible 3 pt shooters (Warren/Ulis/Jackson) 1 who's below average but capable (Chriss) 2 good 3 pt shooters (Canaan/bender) and 2 great shooters (Booker/Daniels)

Would be really nice to have Bender move into the great category, Chriss move into the good category and Warren/Ulis/Jackson to move into the capable category.
I am so over Troy Daniels. He’s a good streaky shooter but he takes so many BAD shots and at terrible times (early in the clock of a close game with 1 minute to go). He does not belong on the court during crunch time. We need more core players that can hit the 3.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think Daniels is perfect as an end of bench guy. Not part of the regular rotation, but you throw him out there when you need some shooting to see if he can provide a spark. Wouldn't be surprised if Daniels fetches some trade interest. Can't imagine getting much out of him, but I could see a lot of teams wanting him as their 11th-12th guy for the playoff roster. Hopefully reed becomes a guy that can provide similar shooting and contribute in other ways as well.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm a little confused. I didn't read any controversy in that article.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I doubt that thought even came into Booker's head. I think he likes playing with Warren and appreciates his game. It seems to me that Warren is starting to settle in as a good corner 3 pt shooter, but I have no data to prove that, just my observations.

It's true that they need to improve their 3 pt shooting though, and we've said it here for more than a year now. Almost every single player on the Suns needs to improve and most need to improve significantly in order to be effective at spreading out the other team.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

You guys weren't able to sense any of my heavy sarcasm. I even directly implied it with the bold line above my take! :)
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:You guys weren't able to sense any of my heavy sarcasm. I even directly implied it with the bold line above my take! :)
I think you may need to work on your delivery a bit. :P
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:

I'm a little confused. I didn't read any controversy in that article.
Booker is quoted as saying the league is evolving in the direction of 3's and layups. If you really, really want to, I guess you could interpret that as an indirect swipe at TJ Warren, who's well known for shooting a lot of mid-range 2's.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:You guys weren't able to sense any of my heavy sarcasm. I even directly implied it with the bold line above my take! :)
But.. but.. current state of .netters doesn't imply my view. It's a prediction of how some may read and interpret it here due to the negativity. I'm a big fan of Triano, how we've played lately and clearly know Booker isn't taking a jab at Tony.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Superbone wrote:
But.. but.. current state of .netters doesn't imply my view. It's a prediction of how some may read and interpret it here due to the negativity. I'm a big fan of Triano, how we've played lately and clearly know Booker isn't taking a jab at Tony.
Sure, now I get it. :)
"Be Legendary."

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

i don't agree with the negative takes on Troy Daniels.
he definitely needs to contribute more than 3's
but his 3's are vital to us
his presence on the court gives the defense something to worry about and Booker some breathing room
the sun's are 2nd worst in 3 percentage
and 7 of the top 3 shooting teams are playoff bound

i believe Daniels would be a vital role player on a playoff team
as he would have been on our Barkley teams and Nash teams

you have to consider that he would be an even more effective 3 point shooter on a more balanced offensive team

TOO

Post by TOO »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Feels like this is mostly directed at me. Carry on.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

TOO

Post by TOO »

1tinsoldier wrote:i don't agree with the negative takes on Troy Daniels.
he definitely needs to contribute more than 3's
but his 3's are vital to us
his presence on the court gives the defense something to worry about and Booker some breathing room
the sun's are 2nd worst in 3 percentage
and 7 of the top 3 shooting teams are playoff bound

i believe Daniels would be a vital role player on a playoff team
as he would have been on our Barkley teams and Nash teams

you have to consider that he would be an even more effective 3 point shooter on a more balanced offensive team
Wish we would've signed Gerald Green off the street. He's like Daniels but fun to watch dunk.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I like the direction of the team. Triano has obviously had a positive impact imo. Chriss and Bender have made strides. Booker is a future All Star. Len has become solid.

I LOVE Warrens mid game. I think it is a huge weapon. Booker is right, it’s becoming all 3pointers and dunks. Teams get used to defending 3 pointers and dunks. Warren mid range game can really mess with defenses at times.

Jackson has been a little bit of a disapointment but, then again he is a rookie. I know not to judge too harshly too soon because different players take more or less time to “get it” if they get it. He obviously has athleticism.

I feel like the Suns are a middle of the pack team right now. Last year they were cellar dwellers on purpose. I think they probably would have won another 8-10 games last year if they played everybody and tried to win, making them a bottom third team imo.

They deserately need an All Star PG and they would be a playoff team imo. Overall I am pleased with the progress.

I just noticed that the All Star game isn’t an E W thing anymore. Two captains pick their teams from the East and the West like a pickup game from what I understand. Kind of weird.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Has anyone been tracking on Alec Peters in the G-League? He's a pure three point shooter (most shots he takes are 3's), hits a high percentage (40.2%), plays PF, adequate rebounder. He has a quick release and a fairly high stroke. Closing out on him is a PITA as a result. He's not a big white stiff.

I'd be totally in favor of dragging him up here and giving him a shot in the rotation. He can't be much worse than Bender and Chriss, who have two of the worst RPMs and TPAs in the league.

carey

Post by carey »

I'm for giving him a shot. Bender is shooting 38% from 3. He's closing in on being a 40% shooter. His defense is also pretty good though the metrics don't seem to reflect that for some reason. I see him making the right reads and rotations. I saw him block 4 shots the other night. He's a ridiculous passer for 7 feet tall. That said I'd still like to see what Peters has. He's on a 2-way deal and hasn't spent any time with the Suns. Maybe they are waiting until the trade deadline to start that 45-day clock?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I think I read somewhere that they were planning on bringing him up later in the season. Probably after we buy out Monroe when no one wants him in a trade. Didn't want to use up his 45 days early like we did with James

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wormwood wrote:He can't be much worse than Bender and Chriss, who have two of the worst RPMs and TPAs in the league.
Apparently you don't pay attention to trends.
"Be Legendary."

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Superbone wrote:
Wormwood wrote:He can't be much worse than Bender and Chriss, who have two of the worst RPMs and TPAs in the league.
Apparently you don't pay attention to trends.
I do. Bender started the year among the worst... and he's still right there.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/ ... 2/sort/RPM

Chriss is still sub-par. 49th out of 80 PFs.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/ ... position/6