Suns News: Week 13 1/8-1/14

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns News: Week 13 1/8-1/14

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:Booker will play in plenty of All-Star games before he's through. This isn't his year, though.
Nope. Let's hope next year. That will mean our team is turning the corner.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

East:
Kyrie, DeRozan, Wall, Oladipo
Lebron, Giannis, Simmons
Horford, Love, Drummond, Embiid, Porzingis

Out:
Lowry, IT, Beal, Dragic, Bledsoe
Hayward, Middleton
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:My 12:
Curry, Westbrook, Lillard, Harden, Booker
Durant, Butler
Aldridge, Jokic, Jordan, Cousins, Davis (I hate having 2 players from NOP, but who do you leave off?)

Honorable Mention
Thompson, Green (these 2 together could not lead GSW to a playoff spot - they are great role players)
Chris Paul (I hate leaving him off, but he's not playing an all-star role this year)
Kawhi - injuries
KAT - 2nd best player on his team. Next year.
Paul George - 2nd best player on his team, and they are under-performing. But maybe he should be there ahead of one of the big guys.
Blake Griffin - Injuries
Ingram - A couple of years out
Gasol - Looks like his time as an allstar has ended
Conley - injuries

Not an all-star
McCullum
Jrue Holiday
Gobert
Donovan Mitchell
Warren
Harrison Barnes
Old Dirk

Could our second 12 beat the East's best 12?
Jordan?

It's a pretty solid list, but I think you were too concerned with not having multiple players from the same team on.

Hard to leave KAT/George/Green off. And it's not like they are on struggling teams. They all play for top 5 teams in the West.

George is putting up 21/6/3 shooting 43% from 3 and leads the NBA in steals.

KAT is putting up 22/12 and shooting 40% from 3

You could make an argument for green not being included. Put him on the Kings and I doubt he does enough to get them to the playoffs or get himself to the all Star game, but he's pretty crucial to what the warriors do and he is probably the best defender in the league.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:Hot take: Booker is top 12 in the West. We know it. The rest of the NBA just doesn't see him enough to know it.
I think all the former players int he media see it. Coaches might see it, too. It will be hard to ignore our record, though.
Yeah, wasn't talking about our record. He's top 12 in the West period.
Agreed.

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:East:
Lebron, Giannis, Simmons

Out:
Hayward, Middleton
I think I agree with this. I was trying to come up with a way to leave Simmons off, but I don't know that you can. Beal/Middleton would be next imo. I'd put Aaron Gordon and Tobias Harris on the consideration list. Vucevic if he didn't get hurt.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:Hot take: Booker is top 12 in the West. We know it. The rest of the NBA just doesn't see him enough to know it.
I think all the former players int he media see it. Coaches might see it, too. It will be hard to ignore our record, though.
Yeah, wasn't talking about our record. He's top 12 in the West period.
Agreed.
yes this is my take also and I'm quite fine with knowing how respected he is by peers n coaches and that we have a legit bonafide future all star. like I've mentioned before I do the opposing commentary quite often and everyone knows Devin a Star :)
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:My 12:
Curry, Westbrook, Lillard, Harden, Booker
Durant, Butler
Aldridge, Jokic, Jordan, Cousins, Davis (I hate having 2 players from NOP, but who do you leave off?)

Honorable Mention
Thompson, Green (these 2 together could not lead GSW to a playoff spot - they are great role players)
Chris Paul (I hate leaving him off, but he's not playing an all-star role this year)
Kawhi - injuries
KAT - 2nd best player on his team. Next year.
Paul George - 2nd best player on his team, and they are under-performing. But maybe he should be there ahead of one of the big guys.
Blake Griffin - Injuries
Ingram - A couple of years out
Gasol - Looks like his time as an allstar has ended
Conley - injuries

Not an all-star

Could our second 12 beat the East's best 12?
Jordan?

It's a pretty solid list, but I think you were too concerned with not having multiple players from the same team on.

Hard to leave KAT/George/Green off. And it's not like they are on struggling teams. They all play for top 5 teams in the West.

George is putting up 21/6/3 shooting 43% from 3 and leads the NBA in steals.

KAT is putting up 22/12 and shooting 40% from 3

You could make an argument for green not being included. Put him on the Kings and I doubt he does enough to get them to the playoffs or get himself to the all Star game, but he's pretty crucial to what the warriors do and he is probably the best defender in the league.
I hear you. I didn't like the choices I made at the big spots, either. But how much of being an all-star is individual talent and how much is wins? It's a balance, and I lean toward wins counting a bit more. I recognize that my top 12 is not the best 12 for paying one on one. But they are the guys who I think do the most for their teams.

Jordan is the best rebounder in the NBA, and his rim protection is good enough that other teams don't even bother going into the paint against him. His team has had horrific injuries to all 4 other starters, they have no depth to begin with and are now playing YMCA lineups every night. Yet, there they are only 2 games out of the playoffs. You know what that tells me? Jordan has lead his team to almost as many wins as Davis and Cousins together. Hard to leave the guy off the team when he is winning like that.

KAT / George / Green / Klay / Chris Paul / (Kawhi / Blake) - It's carzy that we are even talking about leaving these guys off. But somebody is off the team, and those are guys who I think aren't playing allstar roles. Like, if you replaced Paul with Jrue Holiday the Rockets would still be great. If you replace KAT with Brook Lopez, I think the Wolves are still a playoff team.

On the other hand, I think if you put Chris Paul on the Mavs, he would be filling up the stat sheet and they would be fighting for a playoff spot. I'm not sure KAT is ready to lead a playoff team yet.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
carey wrote:The Leap: Devin Booker is a star and should be in the 2018 All-Star Game - http://arizonasports.com/story/1366719/ ... star-game/
He playing like an allstar, but look at the west.

Curry-Durant-Klay-Green(ugh)-Harden-Paul-Kawhi-Aldridge-Butler-KAT-Westbrook-George-Lillard-Jokic-Davis-Cousins.

That's 16 beasts right there, with Griffin, Gobert, Booker and Gasol out of the playoffs. And McCollum from the Blazers.

He'd need what, three or four injuries?
Guys Booker could possibly go ahead of:
Klay, Green, Paul, Kawhi, Aldridge, Jokic

I still think it's a stretch in the West, but sometimes guys get left out just because voters don't want to bring multiple guys from the same team.
Was watching highlights last night and the NBATV guy said Oladipo should be an all-star. Well, if he should, Devin should. Screw West/East.
Oladipo is out-performing Booker in nearly everything this season so far, and he is on a playoff team.

Code: Select all

Player	PER	TS%	3PAr	FTr	TRB%	AST%	STL%	BLK%	TOV%	USG%	WS	OBPM	DBPM	BPM	VORP
Booker	19.0	.575	.359	.342	6.8	22.4	1.3	0.6	13.8	31.0	2.2	3.3	-2.5	0.8	0.8
Oladipo	24.5	.605	.352	.298	8.8	20.1	2.8	2.5	12.7	30.4	4.3	4.5	0.4	5.0	2.1

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Split T wrote:
Lebron, Giannis, Simmons

Out:
Hayward, Middleton
I think I agree with this. I was trying to come up with a way to leave Simmons off, but I don't know that you can. Beal/Middleton would be next imo. I'd put Aaron Gordon and Tobias Harris on the consideration list. Vucevic if he didn't get hurt.
The Wizards will have an All Star but for me it is Beal. Wall has really struggled this year, I'm not sure if you guys peeped his numbers or were just going with "3 Best PGs" plus he's missed like 10 or so games.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Lebron, Giannis, Simmons

Out:
Hayward, Middleton
Yeah, very hard to include both Simmons and Embiid, and tough to leave off Middleton / Beal. Still, I'm leaving off Paul George in the west, for god's sake. It puts the east in perspective.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Split T wrote:
Lebron, Giannis, Simmons

Out:
Hayward, Middleton
The Wizards will have an All Star but for me it is Beal. Wall has really struggled this year, I'm not sure if you guys peeped his numbers or were just going with "3 Best PGs" plus he's missed like 10 or so games.
I didn't know he had missed those games, I just think of him as the engine that makes the Wizards go. Haven't seen them much this year. Is Beal playing a bigger role?

carey

Post by carey »

Hot take. It isn't fair to tie contracts to All-Star appearances as long as there are conferences limiting who can make the All-Star team.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Sorry if this has been posted already....great read from QRich. The part about the 7SOL Suns put a big smile on my face.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/lette ... ichardson/

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
bajanguy008 wrote:
Split T wrote:
Lebron, Giannis, Simmons

Out:
Hayward, Middleton
I didn't know he had missed those games, I just think of him as the engine that makes the Wizards go. Haven't seen them much this year. Is Beal playing a bigger role?
I didn't look too hard at Walls stats either. I'm ok putting Beal on this year instead of Wall now that I have.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yes, the Q article is excellent. Mr. Richardson don’t play!
"Be Legendary."

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

i have to believe Booker makes the all-star team thanks to players, media, and coaches votes
if suns fans weren't depressed, they'd be more of a factor

regardless though, i'm fine with him not making it this year
i want him to stay hungry

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Triano and the Suns players not interested in losing for the draft's sake:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 018511001/
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Why hasn’t the NBA expanded all star rosters to 13 players yet? Teams have 13 active players during games and the league is significantly deeper than it used to be when the all star game was established. Seems like a no-brainer.

carey

Post by carey »

Suns’ Josh Jackson has responded after honest talk with Jay Triano: http://arizonasports.com/story/1372879/ ... ay-triano/
Before his first game as the Phoenix Suns’ interim head coach, Jay Triano had told forward Marquese Chriss he expected more out of him.

The honest assessments have continued since then.

Triano has since admitted that Dragan Bender used to need coercing to work on his game following team practices. He was open about Devin Booker’s effort on defense leaving something to be desired.

On Tuesday, he told the latest honest truth, this time about rookie forward Josh Jackson.

“We sat down and talked and I said, ‘I don’t have a lot of confidence in you right now. You’re playing fast. You’re doing what we want you to do, but you’re supposed to be a defender and I think you’re trying to score,'” Triano told Doug & Wolf on 98.7 FM Arizona’s Sports Station.

“It was just one of those things where I said, ‘I need to have more confidence in you as a person,’ and he said, ‘I appreciate that Coach. I appreciate you telling me that.'”

Triano didn’t play Jackson in his first game after that conversation, a 104-103 comeback win against the Atlanta Hawks.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:Suns’ Josh Jackson has responded after honest talk with Jay Triano: http://arizonasports.com/story/1372879/ ... ay-triano/
Before his first game as the Phoenix Suns’ interim head coach, Jay Triano had told forward Marquese Chriss he expected more out of him.

The honest assessments have continued since then.

Triano has since admitted that Dragan Bender used to need coercing to work on his game following team practices. He was open about Devin Booker’s effort on defense leaving something to be desired.

On Tuesday, he told the latest honest truth, this time about rookie forward Josh Jackson.

“We sat down and talked and I said, ‘I don’t have a lot of confidence in you right now. You’re playing fast. You’re doing what we want you to do, but you’re supposed to be a defender and I think you’re trying to score,'” Triano told Doug & Wolf on 98.7 FM Arizona’s Sports Station.

“It was just one of those things where I said, ‘I need to have more confidence in you as a person,’ and he said, ‘I appreciate that Coach. I appreciate you telling me that.'”

Triano didn’t play Jackson in his first game after that conversation, a 104-103 comeback win against the Atlanta Hawks.
Fascinating. I wonder what this team would look like if we had a real coach last year to bring Bender and Chriss along, and a training camp to set a system in place.