Around the League: Week 13 1/8-1/14

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Around the League: Week 13 1/8-1/14

Post by O_Gardino »

Interesting night around the league yesterday.

The Clippers routed the Warriors. That is not a typo. Draymond Green shot 1-9 and was -16 on the night, because he simply can't match up against DeAndre Jordan. The Clips had Jordan, Lou Williams, and a bunch of garbage. The Warriors were missing Curry and Thompson, but they still have more basketball talent on the bench than LA has on the starting roster.

OKC lost to Minnesota despite having the MVP and 2 guys who were allstars in the east last season. Anthony gave them 19 shot attempts, 1 rebound, 2 turnovers, and no assists, steals, or blocks.

Miami beat the Pacers handily, and have now won 6 in a row and 13 in the last 17. They are looking like the Heat from the end of last season again. It'll be fun to see them in the playoffs this year.

Utah beats Washington behind 21 points a 3 assists from ... Ricky Rubio. Joe Johnson had a little of the old magic, too. That's rare these days. Are middling West teams still better than good East teams?

Chicago beats New York in double OT, despite a triple double from everyone's favorite PG, Jarrett Jack. Markkanen had 8 3s, 10 rebounds, 2 steals, and a block in 46 minutes. He's way better than most of us thought he would be.

The Bucks routed the Magic despite terrible bench play. The Magic have started giving consistent minutes to Mario Hezonia, who is having a resurgent season. He's a guy I would consider taking a trade.

NOP lost to Memphis. I keep expecting the Grizz to show some signs of life, but they are bad. The Pels, meanwhile, star 3 PGs and bring 2 off the bench. They can only win if both Cousins and Davis have big games. Crazy how mediocre and weird they are.

Who would have predicted the Grizz and Magic to be at the bottom of their conferences half way through the season? Technically, ATL is still a half game lower than ORL, and MEM is tied for the bottom. OK.

Houston beat Portland in a matchup of teams that are built the same but one is clearly far more talented.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

O_Gardino wrote:Interesting night around the league yesterday.

The Clippers routed the Warriors. That is not a typo. Draymond Green shot 1-9 and was -16 on the night, because he simply can't match up against DeAndre Jordan. The Clips had Jordan, Lou Williams, and a bunch of garbage. The Warriors were missing Curry and Thompson, but they still have more basketball talent on the bench than LA has on the starting roster.

OKC lost to Minnesota despite having the MVP and 2 guys who were allstars in the east last season. Anthony gave them 19 shot attempts, 1 rebound, 2 turnovers, and no assists, steals, or blocks.

Miami beat the Pacers handily, and have now won 6 in a row and 13 in the last 17. They are looking like the Heat from the end of last season again. It'll be fun to see them in the playoffs this year.

Utah beats Washington behind 21 points a 3 assists from ... Ricky Rubio. Joe Johnson had a little of the old magic, too. That's rare these days. Are middling West teams still better than good East teams?

Chicago beats New York in double OT, despite a triple double from everyone's favorite PG, Jarrett Jack. Markkanen had 8 3s, 10 rebounds, 2 steals, and a block in 46 minutes. He's way better than most of us thought he would be.

The Bucks routed the Magic despite terrible bench play. The Magic have started giving consistent minutes to Mario Hezonia, who is having a resurgent season. He's a guy I would consider taking a trade.

NOP lost to Memphis. I keep expecting the Grizz to show some signs of life, but they are bad. The Pels, meanwhile, star 3 PGs and bring 2 off the bench. They can only win if both Cousins and Davis have big games. Crazy how mediocre and weird they are.

Who would have predicted the Grizz and Magic to be at the bottom of their conferences half way through the season? Technically, ATL is still a half game lower than ORL, and MEM is tied for the bottom. OK.

Houston beat Portland in a matchup of teams that are built the same but one is clearly far more talented.
In yet another brilliant move by the Orlando front office, they are doing this after declining his option.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

n4th4n wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:Interesting night around the league yesterday.

In yet another brilliant move by the Orlando front office, they are doing this after declining his option.
A team run by a mouse.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

O_Gardino wrote:A team run by a mouse.
Nice.

The new GM wanted to give himself 'time to evaluate' Hezonja. Truth is character issues are a red flag to any new boss.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:A team run by a mouse.
Nice.

The new GM wanted to give himself 'time to evaluate' Hezonja. Truth is character issues are a red flag to any new boss.
Yeah, that's the trouble with Mario. IMHO, he's in the same boat as Julius Randal. IF he gets his head on straight, he'll be a good player for someone.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Randle has shown a lot more as a basketball player than hezonja.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

True. But Hezonia has shown that he can shoot, and teams will value that just as highly as Randle's skill set.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I'm really surprised no one has bought low on Randle. Lakers want to get rid of him. I don't like him here because he doesn't shoot and we can't afford to add non elite players that don't shoot.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:I'm really surprised no one has bought low on Randle. Lakers want to get rid of him. I don't like him here because he doesn't shoot and we can't afford to add non elite players that don't shoot.
What team is looking for a non elite big who's not a great shooter, plays best with the ball in his hands, and has questionable chemistry with his teammates? I think he could be good in a Draymond type role for the Hornets or someone, but he's a tough sell. Maybe the Lakers and Magic should swap Julius for Mario.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

DJJ has started several games now for the heat due to injury. As per the highlights posted, looks like he able to simply fill a role. Looks ok because he is able to simply focus on D and slashing
In the pacers game he actually scored the first 6 points of the game.

i still hate Mike James

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Danimal wrote:DJJ has started several games now for the heat due to injury. As per the highlights posted, looks like he able to simply fill a role. Looks ok because he is able to simply focus on D and slashing

i still hate Mike James
Ouch! Out of nowhere.
"Be Legendary."

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Superbone wrote:
Danimal wrote:DJJ has started several games now for the heat due to injury. As per the highlights posted, looks like he able to simply fill a role. Looks ok because he is able to simply focus on D and slashing

i still hate Mike James
Ouch! Out of nowhere.
wasnt he the reason we dropped DJJ.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Danimal wrote:
Superbone wrote:

i still hate Mike James
Ouch! Out of nowhere.
He was one of the reasons. Another reason was that DJJ isn't very good.

carey

Post by carey »

Paging our folks with Insider (Split?) Could you please post the Suns relevant portions of this piece by Bobby Marks? http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_ ... l-30-teams
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
Danimal wrote:
Superbone wrote:

i still hate Mike James
Ouch! Out of nowhere.
He was one of the reasons. Another reason was that DJJ isn't very good.
It wasn't really Mike James, it was a need for a PG. Can't finish out the season with just Ulis at point.

I'm happy that DJJ is somewhere getting court time.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Last night's breakdown:

The Raptors smashed the Cavs. Cavs have now lost 6 of the last 8, despite being the healthiest they've been all season. Cavs are a solid 3rd in the East. But they can turn it on in the playoffs, eh?!

The Lakers beat the Spurs in a game I have very mixed feelings about. The Spurs were held to just 81 points. I love to see them struggle. What are the chances Aldridge does not make the allstar game? Voters might feel that they have to put a Spur in the game, and he is their best player, but he might be 7th best big in the west.

The Clips beat the Kings, but lost DeAndre Jordan to a sprained ankle early in the game. These two teams rematch on Saturday. Jordan is questionable for that game, but it is looking more and more like the Clips will limp into the playoffs despite all the injuries. Lou Williams is balling out, averaging 31.6 pts over the last 11 games on very good shooting.

Boston beat Philly, and Horford is still quietly the best big man in the east.

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:Paging our folks with Insider (Split?) Could you please post the Suns relevant portions of this piece by Bobby Marks? http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_ ... l-30-teams
Phoenix Suns

What to watch

Greg Monroe, Tyson Chandler and Alex Len: Phoenix, under the cap by $9 million, has a decision to make about its three centers. With Monroe and Len set to enter free agency and the veteran Chandler now starting, Phoenix will need to weigh who stays and what player is eventually traded or bought out.

Monroe offers value to a playoff team based on his ability to either start or come off the bench. The challenge is Monroe's $17.8 million salary and the Suns' reluctance to give up cap flexibility in the future. The veteran Chandler still has $13.0 million and $13.6 million left on his contract over the next two seasons.

Restrictions/notes

Alex Len has veto power on any trade based on the one-year bird restriction.

TJ Warren has a poison pill restriction in his contract.

Bledsoe's $14.5 million contract cannot be aggregated until Jan. 7.

Recently signed Isaiah Canaan cannot be traded during the season.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Weird they don't mention Williams at all.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

First I've heard of this. He gets a bump in pay if traded?
I don't know what this is. Do they mean Knight?

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
First I've heard of this. He gets a bump in pay if traded?
I don't know what this is. Do they mean Knight?
Probably. Weird.