90's Night

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

90's Night

Post by The Bobster »

With 90's night coming up on 1/12 I was just wondering who everyone's favorite player and non-player for the Suns was in the 90's?

For Me....

Favorite Player: Kevin Johnson
Favorite Non-player: Cotton Fitzsimmons
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Ring_Wanted

Re: 90's Night

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Jason Kidd.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Favorite Player: Dan Majerle
Favorite Non-player: Cotton Fitzsimmons
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Paul Westphal was/is was my favorite Suns player, but I would have to say for the 90s the three non-players to me were Cotton, Jerry and Al McCoy.

I listened to ‘Talk to the Suns’ (with Jerry) and ‘Talk to the Coach’ every week on KTAR starting with the John MacLeod era through the 90s and nobody was more honest and entertaining than Cotton.
Last edited by The Bobster on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

Started watching the in Oct/ Nov 1993. Sadly I missed the finals run due to programs not being shown often if at all in the UK. But luckily that meant the Suns were shown a lot that first season in the UK.
As many of you know most of my friends were Jazz fans due to the Utah connection, but boy did they bore me, and both Malone and Stockton were dirty players.
The Bulls were ‘meh’ for me. Jordan was great, but that team more than any other looked like a one man team
My favourite player was Barkley.....he had so much fun playing the game with KJ Et al.
Favourite non player, the medical staff.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

KJ and Al McCoy.

KJ played so fast and was such a threat to attack and that made the whole team have fun out there.

McCoy was/is the greatest orator in pro sports, man. Listening to him was like hearing the story of the game while watching. I felt like a kid hearing bedtime stories again. He's the reason my wife like bball and will watch the Suns with me. She has never cared about any sport at all, but she got so caught up in Al's voice that she started liking the games and rooting for the Suns on accident.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Cap

Post by Cap »

I loved rooting for KJ at the time, but have since come to understand that he is a pig.

So I'll go with Majerle. Great guy, still a part of the community, even after falling out with the Suns org.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Cap wrote:I loved rooting for KJ at the time, but have since come to understand that he is a pig. So I'll go with Majerle.
Yeah, I think I learned that tough lesson with Walter Davis - you just have to separate what they do on the court from having admiration for them as a person. We really don't know these guys, even the ones who look like they're good citizens.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

O_Gardino wrote:KJ and Al McCoy.

KJ played so fast and was such a threat to attack and that made the whole team have fun out there.

McCoy was/is the greatest orator in pro sports, man. Listening to him was like hearing the story of the game while watching. I felt like a kid hearing bedtime stories again. He's the reason my wife like bball and will watch the Suns with me. She has never cared about any sport at all, but she got so caught up in Al's voice that she started liking the games and rooting for the Suns on accident.
I was like a lot of kids growing up out here in that I was pretty fortunate listening to Al McCoy doing Suns games, Tom Dillon doing ASU sports and Vin Scully doing Dodgers games. It doesn't get any better than that.

Al is a bit more of a homer than Dillon or Scully were, but not to the extent where it detracts from his work (I'm looking at you Tommy Heinsohn!). He's a Suns' company man, but he doesn't see everything one-sided.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I loved Barkley. I know he was a lout and wasn't here all that long. But the Barkley years captured my heart. I also loved KJ, Thunder Dan, and a lot of that crew. I had a soft spot for our 3-point bombers like Rex Chapman and Wes Person. Heck, we even had J-Kidd by the end of the '90s, right? He was a great Sun.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Majerle and Cotton
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Oooh yeah, Rex Chapman. Also loved Uncle Cliff.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Non player is a tie between Cotton and Al. Although I went to my first game when I was 6 in '81/82, I didn't start watching the suns regularly/religiously until 88. You used to get family packs that you could buy at my elementary school office for like $20 for 4 tickets.

For the player, if you asked me 10 years ago I would have said KJ, hands down. And 2nd would have been Kidd, until what an awful human being he turned out to be. So I guess I will go with Dan.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I loved watching Elliott Perry. He wasn't my favorite, that was probably Majerle, but I just thought Perry was so quick with the ball.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

O_Gardino wrote:KJ and Al McCoy.

Yep.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

When you look at that 1992-93 team you could write a great book about the collection of personalities and the directions their lives have taken them - Colangelo (who moved on to USA Basketball and rebuilding the 76ers), Cotton (RIP), coaches Westphal & Hollins (who have had several Head Coaching and assistant jobs), Barkley (TNT), Ainge (Suns Coach, Boston Executive), KJ (Sacramento Mayor), Majerle (GCU Coach), Frank Johnson (Suns Coach), Dumas (drugs), Miller (food), Chambers & West (both back with the Suns) and even Mustaf (ungh).

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Please write that book!
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:When you look at that 1992-93 team you could write a great book about the collection of personalities and the directions their lives have taken them - Colangelo (who moved on to USA Basketball and rebuilding the 76ers), Cotton (RIP), coaches Westphal & Hollins (who have had several Head Coaching and assistant jobs), Barkley (TNT), Ainge (Suns Coach, Boston Executive), KJ (Sacramento Mayor), Majerle (GCU Coach), Frank Johnson (Suns Coach), Dumas (drugs), Miller (food), Chambers & West (both back with the Suns) and even Mustaf (ungh).
Too bad we don't know anyone that has experience getting basketball books published...

Indy

Post by Indy »

wpmiller42 wrote:I loved watching Elliott Perry. He wasn't my favorite, that was probably Majerle, but I just thought Perry was so quick with the ball.
Agreed. I probably would have picked Socks as my favorite bench guy. And now that I am thinking about it more, I am going with Big Daddy as my favorite 90s player.

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

One of the first Suns games I ever saw was where Socks made a late score and Barkley picked him up and ran down he court with him. It may even have been against the Bulls.
Anyone remember what game and when this was? It was The icing on the cake that made the Suns mine:)
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.