90's Night

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: 90's Night

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:KJ and Al McCoy.

KJ played so fast and was such a threat to attack and that made the whole team have fun out there.

McCoy was/is the greatest orator in pro sports, man. Listening to him was like hearing the story of the game while watching. I felt like a kid hearing bedtime stories again. He's the reason my wife like bball and will watch the Suns with me. She has never cared about any sport at all, but she got so caught up in Al's voice that she started liking the games and rooting for the Suns on accident.
For me, McCoy transcends all decades. Great story!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:Please write that book!
Do it, Bobster!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

England Sun wrote:One of the first Suns games I ever saw was where Socks made a late score and Barkley picked him up and ran down he court with him. It may even have been against the Bulls.
Anyone remember what game and when this was? It was The icing on the cake that made the Suns mine:)
I remember that!
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

England Sun wrote:One of the first Suns games I ever saw was where Socks made a late score and Barkley picked him up and ran down he court with him. It may even have been against the Bulls.
Anyone remember what game and when this was? It was The icing on the cake that made the Suns mine:)
I was so stoked about Socks. I would wear mine pulled high impersonating him.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

carey

Post by carey »

O_Gardino wrote:
I was so stoked about Socks. I would wear mine pulled high impersonating him.
Oh, hell yeah. I think Socks was playing the first game that I ever saw in person. I came home and told my mom that you can not appreciate how fast he is on television. Only in person. He was other worldly to me at the time.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I also try to separate athletes' game from their off court stuff. I was a big KJ fan when I caught on to those 90's Suns and up until last year when checking NBA Store for some Booker stuff, I still see the Black KJ Throwback and say I should have (have had) one :) .
I didn't know anything about KTAR back then and would only see couple games. Our cable was disconnected the year before SSOL and it was a struggle for me to see the games and out of desperation I listened to a game because you guys used to post the links. I was so captivated , I told just about everyone and my buddies were like "you seriously listen to games ?!?!" but they didn't understand :lol: . only my uncle who's in his 70's and had listened to different sports over the years understood the whole "painting a picture" making you seem like you were actually there. Al was definitely very good 8-)
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

bajanguy008 wrote:I also try to separate athletes' game from their off court stuff. I was a big KJ fan when I caught on to those 90's Suns and up until last year when checking NBA Store for some Booker stuff, I still see the Black KJ Throwback and say I should have (have had) one :) .
I didn't know anything about KTAR back then and would only see couple games. Our cable was disconnected the year before SSOL and it was a struggle for me to see the games and out of desperation I listened to a game because you guys used to post the links. I was so captivated , I told just about everyone and my buddies were like "you seriously listen to games ?!?!" but they didn't understand :lol: . only my uncle who's in his 70's and had listened to different sports over the years understood the whole "painting a picture" making you seem like you were actually there. Al was definitely very good 8-)
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

bajanguy008 wrote:I also try to separate athletes' game from their off court stuff. I was a big KJ fan when I caught on to those 90's Suns and up until last year when checking NBA Store for some Booker stuff, I still see the Black KJ Throwback and say I should have (have had) one :) .
From about 95 to 99 I was in college and worked nearly every night driving. That meant I listened to more games than I watched. I got such a different appreciation for Al. What an amazing play-by-play guy.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I started watching every game I could in 1977-78, but they only televised 13 regular season games. Back then you followed them by radio if you wanted to catch every game. I also clipped and saved all the box scores for a few years.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Here's a classic 90s Suns video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltE5uQNzjZE&

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Tonight's the night!
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Richard Dumas was unexpected.

Do you think Sarver barred Ainge from attending out of worries that he'd fleece McD again?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:Richard Dumas was unexpected.

Do you think Sarver barred Ainge from attending out of worries that he'd fleece McD again?
:lol:
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Members of the 92-93 team that were present at halftime - Jerry Colangelo, Joe Proski, Tim Kempton, Oliver Miller, Mark West, Tom Chambers, Kevin Johnson, Dan Majerle, Charles Barkley, Paul Westphal.

Not present - Negele Knight, Frank Johnson, Cedric Ceballos, Lionel Hollins, Jerrod Mustaf.

RIP - Cotton Fitzsimmons, Scotty Robertson.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:Members of the 92-93 team that were present at halftime - Jerry Colangelo, Joe Proski, Tim Kempton, Oliver Miller, Mark West, Tom Chambers, Kevin Johnson, Dan Majerle, Charles Barkley, Paul Westphal.

Not present - Negele Knight, Frank Johnson, Cedric Ceballos, Lionel Hollins, Jerrod Mustaf.

Unfortunately, the ESPN broadcast showed only all of 1 minute of the proceedings.
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I would assume Al McCoy was busy working or involved somehow.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Superbone wrote:
The Bobster wrote:Members of the 92-93 team that were present at halftime - Jerry Colangelo, Joe Proski, Tim Kempton, Oliver Miller, Mark West, Tom Chambers, Kevin Johnson, Dan Majerle, Charles Barkley, Paul Westphal.

Unfortunately, the ESPN broadcast showed only all of 1 minute of the proceedings.
Not even Westie’s speech? It was really nice.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Mark West's best game came on the cusp of the '90s, in the May 1990 playoffs against the Lakers.

In the first game of the series, Big Daddy destroyed Mychal Thompson and Vlade Divac by posting 24 pts., 16 rbs and 7 blocks (only one TO) in 47 minutes.

The Suns won the game and smoked the Lakers 4-1 in the series. It was one of the most dominant "big game" performances of any Suns center in franchise history.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

LazarusLong wrote:Mark West's best game came on the cusp of the '90s, in the May 1990 playoffs against the Lakers.

In the first game of the series, Big Daddy destroyed Mychal Thompson and Vlade Divac by posting 24 pts., 16 rbs and 7 blocks (only one TO) in 47 minutes.

The Suns won the game and smoked the Lakers 4-1 in the series. It was one of the most dominant "big game" performances of any Suns center in franchise history.
I believe that was the playoff series where Magic had back-to-back 43-point games, but the Suns still won them both because they handled everyone else.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Yup. Magic scored 43 pts. in games 4 and 5 each, but Suns won both to close out the series.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?