2018 Trade Deadline

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
1tinsoldier

2018 Trade Deadline

Post by 1tinsoldier »

the 2018 draft thread is hot, and rightfully so
we're hungry, the fruits are ripe, but we're likely to be just out of range for the cream of the crop

instead of relying on injuries (real or imagined)
let's tank the right way
by legitimately being worse than our remaining opponents

chandler stinks, we probably should keep him and start him every night
and start ulis, because he can't shoot
and start jackson, because he's got problems

monroe is a good big man, he's got to go
daniels is an excellent 3 point weapon, he's got to go too
the game changer, however, is to risk moving warren, bender or chris if it might help us get down to a top 3 pick
the loss of warren would guarantee more suckage
chris is better than bender now. he deserves consideration

i think warren is the play, or chris, perhaps even both
i think i'd prefer to make a significant move now rather than run next season with the same basic team plus pick 6 - 10.

AmareIsGod

Re: 2018 Trade Deadline

Post by AmareIsGod »

Moving Warren is about the most absurd and stupid thing we could do.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

booker + a top 3 2018 pick in 2019
the rest are just exchangeable parts

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

i think we need to get another all-star quality player on our own
and then we can attract and sign another star (including tj warren if he gets to that level)

Cap

Post by Cap »

I don't think we're going to be making a splash in free agency the next couple of years, so if we could trade a year or two of cap room for a young stud, that's the kind of deal we should be looking for.

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

some say Cleveland should trade their Nets 2018 pick for a stud that can help them now
warren + ? for the Nets' pick...

? = troy or monroe + one of our picks

carey

Post by carey »

1tinsoldier wrote:some say Cleveland should trade their Nets 2018 pick for a stud that can help them now
warren + ? for the Nets' pick...

? = troy or monroe + one of our picks
They need shooting & defense. Neither of which Warren provides much of. Daniels at least checks one box.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

cleveland is an excellent defensive team

t.j. for j.r. (plus daniels and a pick from us for the nets' pick)
imo just getting rid of j.r. smith is a plus for them
t.j. would help them now and in the future if lebron leaves
and j.r. would help us suck more

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

1tinsoldier wrote:cleveland is an excellent defensive team
Huh? They have the 2nd worst defense in the league.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

So what do we do with Monroe? His expiring is massive. Do we just cut him?

We can add salary over the next two-three seasons and rape someone for their picks.

We can add something to Monroe's contract (Chriss/pick?) and see what difference maker becomes available.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Most of our big contracts expire next year, in the summer of 2019. Chandler and Dudley both come off the books.

Brandon Knight is a freaking albatross. About the best we can do is just play him next year, because as bad as he is, he's still (probably) marginally better than Canaan and Ullis.

I don't think Len will be re-signing with us this summer.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Interested to see what McD does with Chandler and Monroe. Not interested in any other moves and not sure there are any others to be made.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

ShelC wrote:Interested to see what McD does with Chandler and Monroe. Not interested in any other moves and not sure there are any others to be made.
Daniels. Len.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

You think anyone's trading for those guys? I don't see it. And I'm still open to keeping Len for the right price in the offseason, but only in a backup role.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
ShelC wrote:Interested to see what McD does with Chandler and Monroe. Not interested in any other moves and not sure there are any others to be made.
Daniels. Len.
Len can veto any trade, and has heavy incentives to do so. Unless someone wants him on a sign and trade, he doesn't move. Nobody seemed to want him this summer, so...
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:You think anyone's trading for those guys? I don't see it. And I'm still open to keeping Len for the right price in the offseason, but only in a backup role.
I really wish we would stop playing Chandler completely. Len or Monroe should be starting right now, and then we figure out who is our starting C next year. Williams shouldn't be it. So we need to re-sign Len, or find someone else that is a starting caliber Center.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Indy wrote:
ShelC wrote:You think anyone's trading for those guys? I don't see it. And I'm still open to keeping Len for the right price in the offseason, but only in a backup role.
I really wish we would stop playing Chandler completely. Len or Monroe should be starting right now, and then we figure out who is our starting C next year. Williams shouldn't be it. So we need to re-sign Len, or find someone else that is a starting caliber Center.
Problem is, that is highly probably that neither of those two would remain here beyond the summer, but Chandler will. That's why I prefer to go after someone as Valanciounas with all of his shortcomings (but hey, neither Len or Monroe are perfect), to stablish a long term presence in the position clearly capable to make Chandler accept a bench role. Unless we have a real chance to land a building block, (unlikely without including aditional assets) we still need a long term answer at center, even if it is similar to what we did with Warren at SF (flawed, but still productive player, on a friendly contract). Of course it has to the right player to the right price, JV at three years remaining is not the right Price, but otherwise he wouldn't be available (and I'm using him just as an example).

The time to evaluate Len expired last summer, the best you could say about him was "incomplete grade", another casualty from Watson's development "tactics", because the difference on expectactions about the contract probably got worse if Alex truly buyed one of those "you are the greatest" peptalks. But he could still benefit from a trade to a team that will play him consistently on a defined role, and a chance to showcase in a playoff run.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Still not sure that Alex is not on "contract year mode", so given the chance, I would prefer to resign Monroe, a player with specific and developed skills, and have already showed a good demeanor on bad situations (final year in Detroit, bad fit on the Bucks, trade from a playoffs team to a rebuilding one, undefined role and playing time), but it looks, like the Front Office already made their mind on him, or concede him an agreement to deal him or buy him out.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I just don't get this center rotation where Len plays 12 minutes, then 25, then logs a DNP. Monroe is hardly playing despite the fact that he's really our best big and we traded our starting PG for him. If we're showcasing Chandler...good luck.

I'm still very open to the idea of Bender growing into the center position. Maybe I'm off with that, but I think his skillset translates nicely to what the 5spot has become. Play him at the 3 pt line, use his passing to set up others, then use his shotblocking instincts around the rim. The biggest thing is that it'll give us a more speed, athleticism and maybe, just maybe, an identity.

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

Shabazz wrote:
1tinsoldier wrote:cleveland is an excellent defensive team
Huh? They have the 2nd worst defense in the league.
cleveland is known to be under-motivated during the regular season, and that starts with Lebron, but i witnessed an exceptional defense from them over the last 3 playoffs

unless, Kyrie was a defensive power house (which he wasn't) they should excel again in that department when it matters