2018 Trade Deadline

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
TOO

Re: 2018 Trade Deadline

Post by TOO »

In2ition wrote:He's not the best player or pg in the league, but he's pretty darn good. PER is 20.4 this year, which is slightly down from last season, but it's better than ok.
Meh. I don't like score 1st PGs, never will. Do. Not. Want.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

specialsauce wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Re: Kemba.

I don't love the fit with Booker or the short window it gives us to build a competitive team before his contract is up. Also, adding Walker would sink us even lower in the 2018 lotto, while not giving us a real chance of making the playoffs.

If it costs us basically Chriss and another non premium asset, I'd be really tempted, but that's probably too little.

I also fear Walker would be exposed some in the West, kind of what happens with Teague.

Your first three paragraphs are the same sentiments people made about Kyrie. Let’s not chicken out because he may leave in 2 years. If we can’t put together a good team that’ll entice him to stay in 2 years then forget it Booker is definitely gone too.

And no, I don’t think Kemba is as good as Kyrie.

And yes, I’m bringing that up again.
Kemba is not too old. The fact that his deal lasts only two more years should not kill the deal. But.

1. We need to know what we will get in this coming draft first.
2. Kemba is a high usage player on a very bad team.
3. He is not a particularly good defender, distributor. He is not particularly efficient.
4. I am not sure he fits well with Devin. They are too much alike as far as role.

I am not sure he is our answer at pg. But he might be just good enough to get us 3 or 4 more wins this year, and maybe drop us from the 3-4 pick to the 6-7 pick.

TOO

Post by TOO »

JCSunsfan wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Re: Kemba.

I don't love the fit with Booker or the short window it gives us to build a competitive team before his contract is up. Also, adding Walker would sink us even lower in the 2018 lotto, while not giving us a real chance of making the playoffs.

If it costs us basically Chriss and another non premium asset, I'd be really tempted, but that's probably too little.

I also fear Walker would be exposed some in the West, kind of what happens with Teague.

Your first three paragraphs are the same sentiments people made about Kyrie. Let’s not chicken out because he may leave in 2 years. If we can’t put together a good team that’ll entice him to stay in 2 years then forget it Booker is definitely gone too.

And no, I don’t think Kemba is as good as Kyrie.

And yes, I’m bringing that up again.
Kemba is not too old. The fact that his deal lasts only two more years should not kill the deal. But.

1. We need to know what we will get in this coming draft first.
2. Kemba is a high usage player on a very bad team.
3. He is not a particularly good defender, distributor. He is not particularly efficient.
4. I am not sure he fits well with Devin. They are too much alike as far as role.

I am not sure he is our answer at pg. But he might be just good enough to get us 3 or 4 more wins this year, and maybe drop us from the 3-4 pick to the 6-7 pick.
This is pretty spot on for me. Kemba is making a move for making a moves sake for me. If it costs Bender who is finally showing some decent progress on the offensive end I'd be pretty furious. I'm not even a big Bender fan, but that'd be dumb.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Walker is a better player than some on here are giving him credit for. He's a good shooter(40% from 3 last year and 37% the year before) He's at 35% this year. He's ok as a distributor, his assist rate is comparable to guys like Lillard, Curry, Holiday and Dragic. He's significantly higher than Bledsoe and Irving. His turnover rate is very low. The only 2 pg's who turn the ball over less than him are Terry Rozier and Spencer Dinwiddie.

He's also not inefficient as a scorer. He's middle of the road this year but was pretty efficient last year and with Booker taking a lot of the focus, I'd expect a bump in his efficiency.

Also, his ability to limit turnovers is not a fluke. Here are his career finishes in turnover rate amongst pg's who played at least 20 minutes a game

2017: 3rd
2016: 1st
2015: 3rd
2014: 1st
2013: 7th
2012: 8th
2011: 7th

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

I think I am coming around on the Kemba thing...

Taking back Batum's contract is a non-starter though.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya Batum is a no go. I'd actually prefer Dwight as his contract ends after next season and he'd be actually kinda useful. Marvin is not terrible, he's shooting 45% from 3 but his contract is pretty ugly.

I actually think the jazz make the most sense in a Kemba trade. They have some expirings(Johnson and favors) and some decent young talent (hood and Exum). They struggle to find difference makers in free agency and could use another piece next to Mitchell and Gobert. Williams makes some sense there as a stretch 4.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I like Kemba. Ultimately, though, I think he should be super sixth man on a contender.

Most of the packages suggested here and in that ESPN article are too high of a price. Kemba is undersized and having a down year. Plus point guard is such a saturated position in the league. Teams won't pay these premium prices.

I don't mind the Suns acquiring Kemba, but the only first rounder that would be included is one that is in the 20s. And as someone else mentioned, I'd prefer to add Kemba in the offseason than acquire him in-season and rack up a few more meaningless (and ultimately detrimental) wins.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

n4th4n wrote: Taking back Batum's contract is a non-starter though.
Yep.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

INFORMER wrote:I like Kemba. Ultimately, though, I think he should be super sixth man on a contender.

Most of the packages suggested here and in that ESPN article are too high of a price. Kemba is undersized and having a down year. Plus point guard is such a saturated position in the league. Teams won't pay these premium prices.

I don't mind the Suns acquiring Kemba, but the only first rounder that would be included is one that is in the 20s. And as someone else mentioned, I'd prefer to add Kemba in the offseason than acquire him in-season and rack up a few more meaningless (and ultimately detrimental) wins.
Spot on take from top to bottom.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

I wish we would've traded for Kyrie.

Cap

Post by Cap »

iLLmatic wrote:I wish we would've traded for Kyrie.
Hush.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think a lot of folks in this thread are underrating Kemba. He's not a pass-first PG, which would be my preference. And he doesn't have Curry-esque shooting. But he's basically a better Bledsoe with fewer issues, better health, and a better attitude. I actually think he would have a big impact here, and that he could be acquired without really giving up anything important such as high picks or key young players.

Why wouldn't you turn Monroe, Chriss, and maybe 1-2 "meh" picks into Kemba? That's a great trade. It makes this team a lot better, and frankly, we need that. We need a core of 3-4 guys who other players will say, "I want to play with those guys." Booker needs help. We need to show Booker that we want to win sometime in the next decade, and we need to take pressure off him so that he won't wear down.

Don't worry about the notion that trading for Kemba will ruin our draft pick this year. If anything it'll move it by 2-3 spots. It's still worth it to grab the guy while they are actually silly enough to be willing to move him for spare parts and cap relief.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Kemba is an impressive player. Now, he I would be interested in unlike Kyrie. Kyrie would have bolted at the first opportunity. If Kyrie can't play with LeBron because he wants to be "the man", I don't know what to tell you. We already have "the man" in Phoenix and his name is Booker.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:Kemba is an impressive player. Now, he I would be interested in unlike Kyrie. Kyrie would have bolted at the first opportunity. If Kyrie can't play with LeBron because he wants to be "the man", I don't know what to tell you. We already have "the man" in Phoenix and his name is Booker.
Can I borrow your crystal ball when you're done?
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Superbone wrote:Kemba is an impressive player. Now, he I would be interested in unlike Kyrie. Kyrie would have bolted at the first opportunity. If Kyrie can't play with LeBron because he wants to be "the man", I don't know what to tell you. We already have "the man" in Phoenix and his name is Booker.
Sorry, dude. I know not everybody has one as accurate as mine so I don't lend it out. Nothing personal. :P
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Sorry, dude. I know not everybody has one as accurate as mine so I don't lend it out. Nothing personal. :P
Well, can I at least get a few of he lotto numbers?
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Well, can I at least get a few of he lotto numbers?
3, 27, 49
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I think a lot of folks in this thread are underrating Kemba. He's not a pass-first PG, which would be my preference. And he doesn't have Curry-esque shooting. But he's basically a better Bledsoe with fewer issues, better health, and a better attitude. I actually think he would have a big impact here, and that he could be acquired without really giving up anything important such as high picks or key young players.

Why wouldn't you turn Monroe, Chriss, and maybe 1-2 "meh" picks into Kemba? That's a great trade. It makes this team a lot better, and frankly, we need that. We need a core of 3-4 guys who other players will say, "I want to play with those guys." Booker needs help. We need to show Booker that we want to win sometime in the next decade, and we need to take pressure off him so that he won't wear down.

Don't worry about the notion that trading for Kemba will ruin our draft pick this year. If anything it'll move it by 2-3 spots. It's still worth it to grab the guy while they are actually silly enough to be willing to move him for spare parts and cap relief.
The guy I quoted in this post enumerated why I don't really want Kemba. It's not much different than Bledsoe 2.0.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewto ... #p62360492
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

carey wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I think a lot of folks in this thread are underrating Kemba. He's not a pass-first PG, which would be my preference. And he doesn't have Curry-esque shooting. But he's basically a better Bledsoe with fewer issues, better health, and a better attitude. I actually think he would have a big impact here, and that he could be acquired without really giving up anything important such as high picks or key young players.

The guy I quoted in this post enumerated why I don't really want Kemba. It's not much different than Bledsoe 2.0.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewto ... #p62360492
Very interesting stats. They make him look like even more of a pounder than Bledsoe.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote: Why wouldn't you turn Monroe, Chriss, and maybe 1-2 "meh" picks into Kemba? That's a great trade. It makes this team a lot better
Kemba is not a talent that significantly elevates a team. I'm not sure what you're seeing that support that conclusion. What are these "meh" picks to which you're referring? And Monroe is serious cap relief and I think Chriss could be a trade piece in a deal that yields more impact than this.

I'm also not discounting drafting someone like Landry Shamet, retaining Canaan, and giving Brandon Knight some time to recoup some of his value. In that scenario, there really isn't room for Kemba.