Suns News: Week 15 1/22-1/28

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Suns News: Week 15 1/22-1/28

Post by carey »

Last Week's Games

@ Portland LOSS 118-111
@ Denver WIN 108-100

This Week's Games

Monday, January 22nd @ Milwaukee 8:00 PM EST
Wednesday, January 23rd @ Indiana 7:00 PM EST
Friday, January 26th vs Knicks 9:00 PM EST
Sunday, January 28th @ Houston 3:30 PM EST NBATv

Suns Stories

Jackson continues strong play with 2nd unit: https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 050828001/

Empire of the Suns trade deadline preview: Greg Monroe: http://arizonasports.com/story/1383047/ ... eg-monroe/

Suns need to heavily consider trading for Kemba Walker, just not yet: http://arizonasports.com/story/1384692/ ... in-booker/

Center of the Sun - Phoenix Suns 17-29 after a 1-1 week: https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2018 ... a-1-1-week

Solar Panel, ep. 55 - The Kemba Walker and Devin Booker edition of the best Suns podcast: https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2018 ... ns-podcast
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Re: Suns News: Week 15 1/22-1/28

Post by O_Gardino »

Thanks, Carey. I always appreciate the weekly threads, especially the Suns Stories part.
carey wrote:
Suns Stories

Jackson continues strong play with 2nd unit: https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 050828001/
Several great tidbits in this article.
In his past six games, Jackson is averaging 14.5 points, 4.3 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game while shooting 47.2 percent from the field and 39.1 percent from 3-point range.
Booker recorded his 35th game with at least 30 points, breaking a tie with Amar’e Stoudemire for second-most by a Suns player in their first three seasons. Walter Davis holds the record with 36.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

carey

Post by carey »

Love JJ's recent play as I am very worried about him as a prospect. As TOO and I are really the only ones on record hating the pick and wishing we could have had Tatum.

Re: Booker.... does anyone think he won't score 30 a few more times this season? I mean, he's our #1 scoring threat and has to carry us when Warren doesn't have it going.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:Love JJ's recent play as I am very worried about him as a prospect. As TOO and I are really the only ones on record hating the pick and wishing we could have had Tatum.

Re: Booker.... does anyone think he won't score 30 a few more times this season? I mean, he's our #1 scoring threat and has to carry us when Warren doesn't have it going.
Just for the record, a lot of us hated the pick, and ShelC spent a month or two before the draft trying to convince us that Tatum is a better prospect than Jackson. Jackson is ours now, so I'm puling for him to be what McD thinks he is. Last week I re read the Slack conversation from draft time, and there was plenty of angst over the pick. Not that it matters, just want you to know it's not just you two.

carey

Post by carey »

Sorry about that. I didn't remember many folks being against Jackson as our pick. I remember a few wanted Fox (my second choice) as well.

One thing I have to eat crow on though is Malik Monk. I thought he was going to ball out and he looks like JAG to me right now.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:Love JJ's recent play as I am very worried about him as a prospect. As TOO and I are really the only ones on record hating the pick and wishing we could have had Tatum.
I never wanted Josh Jackson and still don't believe in him. But I too am happy to see him playing a little better recently.

My fear is that JJ will fire off a string of ~8 decent games to end this season, causing us to trade TJ Warren, who I think is much much better than Josh Jackson.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

O_Gardino wrote:Thanks, Carey. I always appreciate the weekly threads, especially the Suns Stories part.
WORD

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Another good tidbit:
3-point streak:
The Suns have made a 3-point shot in 1,104 games, a streak dating back to March 29, 2004. The Dallas Mavericks hold the NBA record at 1,108 games.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:Another good tidbit:
3-point streak:
The Suns have made a 3-point shot in 1,104 games, a streak dating back to March 29, 2004. The Dallas Mavericks hold the NBA record at 1,108 games.
You just know that now that this obscure record has been discovered, we'll miss breaking it by exactly 1 game. Book it.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
3-point streak:
You just know that now that this obscure record has been discovered, we'll miss breaking it by exactly 1 game. Book it.
Is the Dallas streak broken? Also, when was the last time a team didn't make a single three pointer in a game?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Hermen wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
3-point streak:
Is the Dallas streak broken? Also, when was the last time a team didn't make a single three pointer in a game?
I think the Dallas streak is active.

Last time a team didn't have a 3 was Miami in Feb 2016. They won! They started Amare in that game.

http://bkref.com/tiny/irhrE

It used to happen all the time as recently as 5 or 6 years ago. But I can't imagine it happening now. It would be very newsworthy if a team didn't even get one 3.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

O_Gardino wrote:
Hermen wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
3-point streak:

Last time a team didn't have a 3 was Miami in Feb 2016. They won! They started Amare in that game.

It used to happen all the time as recently as 5 or 6 years ago. But I can't imagine it happening now. It would be very newsworthy if a team didn't even get one 3.
Thanks for the research. I'll admit I was too lazy to do it :) or not interested enough.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Hermen wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Hermen wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

Thanks for the research. I'll admit I was too lazy to do it :) or not interested enough.
:D I actually did it yesterday, but I didn't think it was interesting enough to post. Your question was like an open door.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Hermen wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Hermen wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

:D I actually did it yesterday, but I didn't think it was interesting enough to post. Your question was like an open door.
No, it is not active. We will set the record in a few games.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/12/1 ... 108-games/
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Hermen wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Hermen wrote: Is the Dallas streak broken? Also, when was the last time a team didn't make a single three pointer in a game?

No, it is not active. We will set the record in a few games.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/12/1 ... 108-games/
Neat!

carey

Post by carey »

From Lowe's column on his All-Star picks. He can eat a ****.
That left a gaggle of studs for the last three spots: Cousins, George, Thompson, Paul, Damian Lillard, Nikola Jokic, Lou Williams, and Devin Booker. (Gordon, DeAndre Jordan, Clint Capela, Tyreke Evans, CJ McCollum and maybe a few others comprise the next tier.) Booker has the numbers, and he's made huge and important strides as a playmaker. He may be in this game next season. But with this field, you can't reward a guy performing under zero pressure for an awful team that took a collective nap on the court until its coach got fired.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

It's not a surprise. West is stacked, for Booker to get in you would have to leave out a player with similar stats on a playoff team. Either Suns need to be better next year or Booker needs to clearly be better than competition.

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:From Lowe's column on his All-Star picks. He can eat a ****.
That left a gaggle of studs for the last three spots: Cousins, George, Thompson, Paul, Damian Lillard, Nikola Jokic, Lou Williams, and Devin Booker. (Gordon, DeAndre Jordan, Clint Capela, Tyreke Evans, CJ McCollum and maybe a few others comprise the next tier.) Booker has the numbers, and he's made huge and important strides as a playmaker. He may be in this game next season. But with this field, you can't reward a guy performing under zero pressure for an awful team that took a collective nap on the court until its coach got fired.
He's not wrong.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I totally agree with Lowe. When you have players with relatively similar stats, you go with the guy on a winning team. It's easier to get stats when your team stinks and they can just give you the ball every time. Booker's having a great season, but given how stacked the West is this year, it makes sense that he doesn't get an All-Star spot. In 1-2 years when we don't stink as much, he'll get his due.

carey

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I totally agree with Lowe. When you have players with relatively similar stats, you go with the guy on a winning team. It's easier to get stats when your team stinks and they can just give you the ball every time. Booker's having a great season, but given how stacked the West is this year, it makes sense that he doesn't get an All-Star spot. In 1-2 years when we don't stink as much, he'll get his due.
Totally easier.

It's not like he faces this all game every game or anything. (Yes, hyperbole but you get my point.)

Go Suns!

Og Snus!