Suns News: Week 17 2/5-2/11

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns News: Week 17 2/5-2/11

Post by Split T »

Did some quick salary cap research and found some interesting things:

1. TJ Warren's contract drops from 12 million to 10 million in year 2, presumably for more space in summer of 2019. Then goes back up to 12 in 2020.

2. Alan Williams has 2 years 11 million after this year, all unguaranteed. We could waive him and add an extra 5 million in cap space this summer or next summer.

3. If we sign Booker to a max this summer, and add a FA or re-sign Payton at the mid level salary(9ish million) and let all our free agents expire in 2019, we should have about 13 million in cap space.

4. That can increase to 22 million if we waive and stretch Knight's last year. And if we waive Knight and wait to sign Booker to the max, we can have 30 million in space that summer.

Based on this, I feel the plan should be re-sign Payton or a similar priced FA this summer that adds to our core. Draft a stud this summer and run with

PG. Payton, Knight, Ulis
SG. Booker, Reed, Daniels
SF. Warren, Jackson
PF. 2018 draft pick, Chriss, Dudley
C. Bender, Williams, Chandler

Pick could be a C as well, moving Bender to PF. I'd look at moving Chriss if he doesn't show much over the last half of the season, which could add more cap space.

I'd just let Chandler and Dudley expire. Move them if they want to play, but absolutely don't take on any salary in the future.

Move Knight if possible, otherwise I'd waive and stretch him after next season if his value is similar to what it is today.

Then summer of 2019 I'd sign the best possible player we can get, we could have 22-30 million in space. Waive unguaranteed deals, Williams, Ulis, Reed if necessary to create space. Then start 2019 with a top 7 of:

Booker, 2019 FA, 2018 Draft pick, Jackson, Bender, Warren, Payton

Guys like ulis, Reed, Williams, and Miami pick, 2019 pick, mil pick, 2nd round picks fill out the rest of the roster.

Sidenote: I would gladly ditch this plan if the right elite player becomes available via trade.

carey

Post by carey »

Not much room for the potential 6 draft picks we can have this Summer.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:Not much room for the potential 6 draft picks we can have this Summer.
Actually, we can only get 5. We only get the bucks 2nd rounder if the bucks first rounder doesn't transfer. We won't get the Milwaukee first round pick, so that puts us at 2 firsts, 3 seconds. I think we'll at least try to move up with our excess picks. If we can't find a deal, we'll take draft and stash guys in round 2 or 2-way contract guys or just sell the picks.