Game Day: Spurs (34-21) @ Suns (18-37), Wed 2/7/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: Game Day: Spurs (34-21) @ Suns (18-37), Wed 2/7/18

Post by specialsauce »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I for one am just grateful that we didn't trade for a bum like Kyrie Irving! Boy was that the right call. Phew! Bullet, dodged. Getting a late pick and 2 months of a bum center, only to buy him out, was a way better haul. #Winning
Come on Mori, what if he left after 2 years? What would we do? I only like players like Danuel House who will never leave me, because nobody else would want him!

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Sarver and McD, through dogged determination, have gone retro and turned the Suns into the Bill Bidwell Cardinals, in terms of franchise quality and brand worth ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I for one am just grateful that we didn't trade for a bum like Kyrie Irving! Boy was that the right call. Phew! Bullet, dodged. Getting a late pick and 2 months of a bum center, only to buy him out, was a way better haul. #Winning
Bledsoe for Irving straight up was never on the table. We all would have taken that.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

We are about as close to a championship as ...?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Cap wrote:
Bledsoe for Irving straight up was never on the table. We all would have taken that.
? Seriously dude.

Bledsoe + Jackson + Miami 1st would be just grand.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

You're delusional and you are posting in the wrong thread.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

specialsauce wrote:
Cap wrote:
? Seriously dude.

That's quite the haul for 2 years of Kyrie.

And how much better would we be with the rest of the roster as it is? Instead of getting blasted by 50, we lose by 20?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

AmareIsGod wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Cap wrote:
? Seriously dude.

And how much better would we be with the rest of the roster as it is? Instead of getting blasted by 50, we lose by 20?
It would drastically change the course of the franchise. I can promise you if we made that trade our FA last offseason and the trade deadline today would have been much different. We are in full tank mode right now. They would have signed actual basketball players as our timeline would have immediately shifted. If you can’t build a winner around Kyrie and Booker within 2 years, that’s your problem. Not championship, but at least a team capable of making a run in the playoffs for years to come. Man if you aren’t willing to gamble in this league you are not going to make it. When did we as fans lose all of our confidence?

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Cap wrote:
? Seriously dude.

It would drastically change the course of the franchise. I can promise you if we made that trade our FA last offseason and the trade deadline today would have been much different. We are in full tank mode right now. They would have signed actual basketball players as our timeline would have immediately shifted. If you can’t build a winner around Kyrie and Booker within 2 years, that’s your problem. Not championship, but at least a team capable of making a run in the playoffs for years to come. Man if you aren’t willing to gamble in this league you are not going to make it. When did we as fans lose all of our confidence?
About a decade ago. When was the last time we had a GM with more than 5 total years of GM experience at the NBA level? Our current ownership doesn't think it is important to have an experience person assembling the team.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I can’t believe our argument for being against acquiring elite talent is being scared that he’ll leave in 2 years. We’d rather just trot out G League rosters. Just completely defeated. This is so sad. This is rock bottom.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Cap wrote: Bledsoe for Irving straight up was never on the table. We all would have taken that.
? Seriously dude.

About a decade ago. When was the last time we had a GM with more than 5 total years of GM experience at the NBA level? Our current ownership doesn't think it is important to have an experience person assembling the team.
I’d love to have a look at GMs around the league and see who had >5 years of experience prior to signing with their respective teams. I think that you’d be surprised by how short that list would be.

That’s a cheap shot at Sarver. Sarver is not cheap. He is foolish.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:I can’t believe our argument for being against acquiring elite talent is being scared that he’ll leave in 2 years. We’d rather just trot out G League rosters. Just completely defeated. This is so sad. This is rock bottom.
That was nobodies main reason for not acquiring Kyrie.

1. Some of us just don't think Kyrie is elite
2. Our team wasn't ready. We'd have Kyrie, Booker, and nothing else.
3. The difference between bled and Kyrie wasn't worth 2 top 5 picks. Cleveland ended up only getting 1 unlikely top 5 pick
4. Giving all that up for a player that could just leave in two years was too steep.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
Danimal wrote:
The Bobster wrote:Spurs up by 47 after 3 quarters.

This got Watson fired. I hope it keeps Triano "interim".
the common denominator is the roster though
Oh, I want to see some of them gone too.
well, Watson's 2 "stars" are not playing tonight in Bledsoe and Booker. But the effort is still inexcusable.

In all honesty, I don't think the Spurs have a better roster.
It wasn't just lack of effort. It was lack of execution of any kind of offense and bad defense.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I for one am just grateful that we didn't trade for a bum like Kyrie Irving! Boy was that the right call. Phew! Bullet, dodged.
Agreed.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
Danimal wrote:
The Bobster wrote:Spurs up by 47 after 3 quarters.

This got Watson fired. I hope it keeps Triano "interim".
the common denominator is the roster though
Oh, I want to see some of them gone too.
well, Watson's 2 "stars" are not playing tonight in Bledsoe and Booker. But the effort is still inexcusable.

In all honesty, I don't think the Spurs have a better roster.
It wasn't just lack of effort. It was lack of execution of any kind of offense and bad defense.
Yeah. Some nights they run plays,and some nights they just run around. Against the Spurs they didn't really do either.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:I can’t believe our argument for being against acquiring elite talent is being scared that he’ll leave in 2 years. We’d rather just trot out G League rosters. Just completely defeated. This is so sad. This is rock bottom.

3. The difference between bled and Kyrie wasn't worth 2 top 5 picks. Cleveland ended up only getting 1 unlikely top 5 pick
4. Giving all that up for a player that could just leave in two years was too steep.

24.7/5/3.6 on 48/40/89 is not elite. Okay.

Our team wasn't ready for a top 5 point guard? Okay. Lmao. That's the most ridiculous statement I've heard yet Split.

Cap

Post by Cap »

specialsauce wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Cap wrote:
? Seriously dude.

This is getting really, really obnoxious. Just because we don't want to make the same bets as you doesn't mean we're cowards who are afraid to gamble.

Jackson may yet turn into a solid player. The Milwaukee pick might. The Miami pick might. And we're in an excellent position to land with someone like Ayton or Doncic with our own pick. We also have loads of cap flexibility. We strike oil with one or more of those picks, and/or use our cap room for good trades, and we could find one or more players who will contribute to the team for many, many years to come, and even make us a reasonable FA destination for Kyrie in '19.

I chose to gamble that we will find value in those FOUR first round picks and the possibility of being a legit FA destination in '19. Your preference was to trade away all that future possibility for the sure thing of two years of Kyrie.

You fucking coward.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
? Seriously dude.

I’d love to have a look at GMs around the league and see who had >5 years of experience prior to signing with their respective teams. I think that you’d be surprised by how short that list would be.

It isn't a cheap shot. And I have always said he is penny-wise, pound-foolish. When it comes to hiring FO staff, he is very cheap. When was the last time we had a GM or coach that wasn't in the bottom 5 for salary?

And I should have said I meant GM/assistant GM. I would be fine with a person that proved themselves for 5 years making GM decisions for a team.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:

24.7/5/3.6 on 48/40/89 is not elite. Okay.

Our team wasn't ready for a top 5 point guard? Okay. Lmao. That's the most ridiculous statement I've heard yet Split.
You really think Kyrie makes a real difference on this team? Does he make Chriss and Bender real NBA players? He's not Nash. He and Booker would just take turns scoring and getting scored on on the other end. We'd win 35 games and sign DeAndre Jordan this off-season so we could be a 7 seed next year and watch Kyrie leave

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

It isn't a cheap shot. And I have always said he is penny-wise, pound-foolish. When it comes to hiring FO staff, he is very cheap. When was the last time we had a GM or coach that wasn't in the bottom 5 for salary?

And I should have said I meant GM/assistant GM. I would be fine with a person that proved themselves for 5 years making GM decisions for a team.
Fair, how long was McDonough with the Celtics under Ainge? Not sure. I agree that the Blanks and D'Antoni GM days were a joke. Watson and Lindsey Hunter were jokes.

I think Steve Kerr was a good hire. A shame that he left.