Elfrid Payton acquired!

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Elfrid Payton acquired!

Post by carey »

It is interesting how many of you are ready to sign him long term after 2 games. I guess we were really starved for competent PG play.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:So McD had Bledsoe on the roster with Dragic in 2014 and wanted to draft Payton. Interesting. That's also the offseason he signed IT, which I doubt would've happened had we drafted Payton but still. He really overrated his vision for 2 starting PGs in the backcourt.
He loves to stack the roster with too many guys at each position, but 5 years in we don't have enough depth on the roster.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

carey wrote:It is interesting how many of you are ready to sign him long term after 2 games. I guess we were really starved for competent PG play.
Sports fans are well known for their patience!
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:It is interesting how many of you are ready to sign him long term after 2 games. I guess we were really starved for competent PG play.
I was thinking the same thing. But then I remembered that it's been 4 years since we had a PG who could find his teammates. No matter how you slice it, his play the last 2 games has been stellar.

Indy

Post by Indy »

There were plenty here doing the same for MIke James after summer league. Or even Cannon after 2 games. We are starved.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The PG position has always been strong for the Suns throughout history. KJ, Kidd, Nash in the last hey days. The last few years we have seen a total revolving door at PG. We started with some fairly big names. We got rid of or chased them all away and have been using D league scrubs and rookies as our PG pool this year. Seeing a real PG for a change is such a welcome site and such a crucial position that we are easily lured by it at this point.

I have no doubt that if we keep him he will start to see his flaws more and more and that he will get his own trade thread before too long. :)

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:The PG position has always been strong for the Suns throughout history. KJ, Kidd, Nash in the last hey days. The last few years we have seen a total revolving door at PG. We started with some fairly big names. We got rid of or chased them all away and have been using D league scrubs and rookies as our PG pool this year. Seeing a real PG for a change is such a welcome site and such a crucial position that we are easily lured by it at this point.

I have no doubt that if we keep him he will start to see his flaws more and more and that he will get his own trade thread before too long. :)
:lol:

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Yes some good points here, can't argue with the possible overreacting in wanting to sign him after just two games but maybe I just picked good nights to watch him lol but I've always liked how he played. He's played very good but I still don't see it as way over his head, last game was a lil crazy but I don't see the 19 n 9 from the first game as something that can't be close to the norm.
Stats aside, now he's on our team and I'm actually checking his interviews that's what's more gotten my attention that he looks to have a Brain lol which cannot be taken for granted
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Oops forgot to add in this part which pertains to a discussion in one of the other threads. Saw in an article but just realized Bordow had tweeted about it also

https://twitter.com/sbordow/status/962012205733392384

Full Disclosure : I was trying hard to use some kind of "Head on Shoulders" joke referencing his hair/brain situation to see what score the forum gave me but oh well the punchline was missing something :lol:
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The talent is there and he's got the NBA game. I think the Magic have had larger issues than PG play over the past few years but it is interesting they gave up on him a year early for only a 2nd rounder.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The Magic's guy Jeff looks genuinely perplexed as to why he traded Elfrid. Just keeps repeating "we needed to see what we have in the rest of the roster."

[youtube][/youtube]

I think it was a couple of things:

1. They had no intention of bringing him back this summer.
2. The market for PGs isn't what good. Everybody has one they like.
3. They wanted to get something for hum, rather than let him walk for nothing.
4. So they took a 2nd round pick, a few more losses in the tank, and a clearer cap picture heading into the offseason.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

“The market for PGs isn't that good. Everybody has one they like.”

They didn’t poll Phoenix.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

It's kind of nice to buy low for once.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Cap

Post by Cap »

Save your celebration for the summer. For all we know at this point, he'll leave as a free agent, or stay on an overpay. This only becomes an effective trade if and when he have him under a good contract.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Cap wrote:Save your celebration for the summer. For all we know at this point, he'll leave as a free agent, or stay on an overpay. This only becomes an effective trade if and when he have him under a good contract.
Considering what they gave up, it's certainly worth the gamble.

But with our front office and ownership, you just never know. They find new ways to screw up every year.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Cap wrote:Save your celebration for the summer. For all we know at this point, he'll leave as a free agent, or stay on an overpay. This only becomes an effective trade if and when he have him under a good contract.
Who else would really go hard for him though ? If market already isn't good and there some good ones coming in the draft

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Can we sign and trade his rights? If so, that's another option that can be explored. I'd like to retain him if he signs a budget friendly contract.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Another good game from Payton. I'm impressed.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Reggie Jackson - 5 years, 80 mil in 2015
Dennis Schroder - 4 years, 80 mil in 2016
Kyle Lowry - 3 years, 100mil in 2017
Jrue Holiday - 5yrs, 126mil in 2017
Jeff Teague - 3 years, 57 mil in 2017

Those are just a few contract signed in recent years by PGs. It's kind of hard to find a good comparison for Payton because he's a pretty dynamic PG. He's become a better shooter, but isn't really a scorer like Jackson, Lowry or Holiday. He's a great passer, maybe the best pass-first PG of that group. And he's a very strong rebounder similar to Holiday and Lowry. With today's CBA and salary structure, you might be looking at 5 years 100 mil to lock him long term. I'd love something like 4 years, 70 mil but I'm not sure is that's realistic.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

ShelC wrote:Reggie Jackson - 5 years, 80 mil in 2015
Dennis Schroder - 4 years, 80 mil in 2016
Kyle Lowry - 3 years, 100mil in 2017
Jrue Holiday - 5yrs, 126mil in 2017
Jeff Teague - 3 years, 57 mil in 2017

Those are just a few contract signed in recent years by PGs. It's kind of hard to find a good comparison for Payton because he's a pretty dynamic PG. He's become a better shooter, but isn't really a scorer like Jackson, Lowry or Holiday. He's a great passer, maybe the best pass-first PG of that group. And he's a very strong rebounder similar to Holiday and Lowry. With today's CBA and salary structure, you might be looking at 5 years 100 mil to lock him long term. I'd love something like 4 years, 70 mil but I'm not sure is that's realistic.
I'm worried either way.

We have a habit of letting people walk (Joe Johnson), or brutally overpaying for mediocre to very bad players (Chandler, Dudley, Knight).

Yeah, it's too early to tell, but Payton has looked very good in his first few games. He put up a triple double last night. That's the 9th of his young career. Guys who can post triple doubles do NOT grow on trees. If he learns to shoot threes at a respectable rate, he will be a borderline all star, and probably better than Bledsoe's top end (Bled never really was a great distributor).