Game Day: Suns (18-39) @ Warriors (43-13), Mon 2/12/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Game Day: Suns (18-39) @ Warriors (43-13), Mon 2/12/18

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Superbone wrote:I really don't get why so many are upset at this loss. Yeah, it was a huge blowout but our team is at half mast playing one of the best NBA teams of all time. To me, this game was much better than the San Antonio blowout. At least the team executed better until garbage time.
I also don't get how some of the same people eagerly tracking and rooting for us to have the league's #1 worst record, posting "tank-a-thon" tweets and images, openly drooling over the hope of getting the #1 pick, etc., are also upset when we lose by 40 to the champs. You can't really have the one without making it likely that you'll have the other. If your team is the worst in the league, you aren't going to hold prime GSW tight and then get a narrow loss. You're going to get blown out. Or, put another way, if you have enough talent on your team to hold the champs and Spurs close for 48 minutes, you're going to get way more than 18 wins by the All-Star break.
Very few people were expecting it to be close. But being down by nearly 50 points isn't what NBA teams do, even the worst ones against the best. When you are down that big, and still only manage to score 12 points in the 4th quarter, you gave up.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I honestly didn't think it was that big a deal. Someone on twitter wrote that it was OK because Iguodala is a smart,high bball IQ player who can legit draw up plays; it wasn't like Kerr handed the clipboard to a rookie or a guy like Nick Young. Had that been the case where the coaches and players were laughing and joking around and passing the clipboard around until a guy took it and drew up a play, it would've been much more disrespectful. But I think Kerr was sincere in his explanation. I thought something like LeBron and his teammates flipping bottles on the bench during a Knicks blowout last year was a lot more disrespectful.

The larger issue is our team allowing itself to be handled that way. Yea, the Ws are the best in the league but there's no excuse for these kinds of losses. So while we can cry and point fingers, we have only ourselves to blame.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Even if they were playing hangman on the clipboard, if you don’t want them doing that then don’t get down 40. Compete at an NBA level worthy of respect

Indy

Post by Indy »

Who on the Suns was saying it was disrespectful? I read that Dudley said it was, but that we haven't earned respect because we keep losing. I read Booker, Chandler, and Triano all had no problems with it either. So who was complaining?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Indy wrote:Who on the Suns was saying it was disrespectful? I read that Dudley said it was, but that we haven't earned respect because we keep losing. I read Booker, Chandler, and Triano all had no problems with it either. So who was complaining?
It's just ESPN stirring the pot. Nobody else cares. I think it's a great coaching move by Mr Kerr.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:The larger issue is our team allowing itself to be handled that way. Yea, the Ws are the best in the league but there's no excuse for these kinds of losses. So while we can cry and point fingers, we have only ourselves to blame.
+1

A lot of guys on our team don't handle adversity well. They don't kick it up a notch, focus, and compete. And we don't have a 3rd sting of hustle guys we can throw out there and know they will at least play hard and send opponents to the line.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Indy wrote:Who on the Suns was saying it was disrespectful? I read that Dudley said it was, but that we haven't earned respect because we keep losing. I read Booker, Chandler, and Triano all had no problems with it either. So who was complaining?
It's just ESPN stirring the pot. Nobody else cares. I think it's a great coaching move by Mr Kerr.
They were taking a small part of Dudley's quote and leaving out the part where he explained why it was ok

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

After his spat with Barton , Daniels was once again the one talking the most tsk tsk. Oh well, this has in most of the post game comments from everyone

https://amp.azcentral.com/amp/328049002 ... ssion=true
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

I didn't have a problem with it. Good for them. The Suns are an embarrassment and I'm glad other teams are treating them like it. Maybe it'l motivate them to get better. Maybe in the next 3 meetings Kerr will bring in a Make-a-Wish kid and let him be coach for a day. I'm serious.

I'm not one who feels we SHOULD tank or HAVE to tank. Sure, it'd be nice to get the top pick but not at the expense of piling up 40 point losses and watching a team that has quit. I want to watch guys who are hungry to get better. I don't see it.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

ShelC wrote: The larger issue is our team allowing itself to be handled that way. Yea, the Ws are the best in the league but there's no excuse for these kinds of losses. So while we can cry and point fingers, we have only ourselves to blame.
Preach it.

The franchise has disrespected itself.
It's a mangy mongrel that keeps coming back to sniff its own vomit.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Why isn't there much talk of how Sarver is the new Sterling? Seriously?

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:Why isn't there much talk of how Sarver is the new Sterling? Seriously?
I despise Sarver as much as the next guy. But Sterling was way, way worse. Sterling kept that team awful for decades, would never pay even basic salaries to his own players, and worst of all, was a despicable guy in his life by being a racist and womanizer. He invited players to his house and then marveled at their "beautiful black bodies." Sarver is a dunderhead and a bad owner, and he had a huge ego problem in the past (and may still have a low-key one now), but he's no Sterling.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Bottom line is that Sarver has turned a once-proud franchise into a basement-dwelling afterthought.

I'm tired of apologists saying "well, the Suns aren't really all that bad" or "happy days are around the corner."

The franchise has hit rock bottom and keeps digging.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Indy wrote:Why isn't there much talk of how Sarver is the new Sterling? Seriously?
I despise Sarver as much as the next guy. But Sterling was way, way worse. Sterling kept that team awful for decades, would never pay even basic salaries to his own players, and worst of all, was a despicable guy in his life by being a racist and womanizer. He invited players to his house and then marveled at their "beautiful black bodies." Sarver is a dunderhead and a bad owner, and he had a huge ego problem in the past (and may still have a low-key one now), but he's no Sterling.
1) I wasn't comparing how despicable each of them are. The news about Sterling didn't really come out until that recording in 2014. He has been an owner for decades before that.

2) Since moving to LA in 84, the Clippers only had one stretch where they missed the playoffs for 8 years. I think you are blocking out how awful we have been since he took over. Sure we had a good run for 5 years that he inherited, but that ran out quickly.

3) In the 14 years he has owned the team, we missed the playoffs (including this year) 9 times. In the previous 35 years of the team (including our expansion year), we only missed the playoffs a total of 12 times. We are historically bad, not just for the Suns, but for the league. That is Sterling-level bad.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Plus he's a slumlord.

You don't get much more deplorable than this guy.

Sarver (as far as we know) is just totally incompetent.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I loved Payton's comment:
Point guard Elfrid Payton, who was the sole bright spot for the Suns with 29 points, eight rebounds and five assists, said he didn’t know what the Warriors were doing during timeouts and didn’t care.

“We’re worried about ourselves,” he said. “I don’t have time to worry about what’s going on over there.”
I also don't have any problem with what Daniels said. It's fine for him to feel disrespected and know that the team needs to do something about it. Show some pride and don't give up in games. Fight until the end the best you can no matter how outmatched you are.

Speaking of Daniels, I also liked his elbow to the back of Barton. Barton was talking smack about his team. Who cares if what he said is true. You send him a message to worry about his own team.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LazarusLong wrote:Bottom line is that Sarver has turned a once-proud franchise into a basement-dwelling afterthought.

I'm tired of apologists saying "well, the Suns aren't really all that bad" or "happy days are around the corner."

The franchise has hit rock bottom and keeps digging.
Hey, I resemble that remark! Well, the second part anyway. The Suns really are that bad. However, I'm not an apologist. Excuse me for being an optimist no matter who is in charge of this team. This has to be rock bottom, doesn't it? If it isn't then Sarver and company are going to pay the price. If they're not careful, they're going to lose Booker and then all hell would break loose. That would be the straw that would break everybody's back including mine. I'd be very surprised if we don't turn the corner this off season. First, we should be drafting a game changer. Then time to bring in some very good free agents and figure out the optimal coaching situation. Time to ascend to the playoffs and more. If not, then we are all screwed.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Troy Daniels did.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Let's face it - other teams look at the Suns like teams looked at the Clippers when they were horrible.

The only way to fix that is to become more competitive.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695