Suns Coach 2018-19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

So who do you want to see as a coach in 2018-19 (and beyond)?

Grass isn't always greener: Triano--What more could you ask with the group of guys we had this year and the development we have seen?
13%
Tried and true: Previous NBA head coach with bona fides / playoff wins
46%
Make the jump: Current NCAA head coach with bona fides / good tourny showings
10%
Shake it up: New coach from the assistant ranks across the league
18%
You make the call:Your poll options suck, Indy
13%

Total votes: 39

carey

Re: Suns Coach 2018-19

Post by carey »

Gambo reported in hour 4 today that James Jones wants Fizdale.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Superbone wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:Let's not jump to conclusions regarding Bud, no matter how tempting. He had a 7mm per year contact in Atlanta, for both the coach and GM roles. Even though he was stripped of the GM role, he's still getting 7mm. For him to leave this contract and jump to Phoenix, he would need to be paid something like 7mm per year on a longer number of years. This is quite a high salary compared to what coaches were making as recently as 2016-2017, when the only coaches making that much or more (on a pure coaching contract) were Popovich (10mm) and Scott Brooks (7mm). Indeed, Frank Vogel made the top 10 on only 2mm per year:

http://moneyinc.com/nba-coaches-salaries/

So, if I had to guess, he wanted a big chunk of McDonough's job on top of coaching to justify a higher salary. He wasn't getting that -- and he was not a great GM anyway. The numbers were never going to work out, so he withdrew. I don't see how this is the Suns being "cheap". Bud was definitely a good coach...but not a tested championship-caliber coach like Pop, Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, and now Steve Kerr in their primes.

Regarding the bias against "retreads", let's try to remember that D'Antoni the first time around was a "retread" after having failed in Denver, Cotton Fitzsimmons was a "retread" in 1988, and Rick Carlisle by the time he got to Dallas. I'm perfectly fine with some of the names being thrown out there. Not with others, though.

Worth a look: Kokoskov, Vogel, Borrogeo
Dumpster: Fizdale, McHale
Placeholder: Triano
That's a balanced take. I want to hear more info on why Bud moved on. What about Clifford? Where does he fit in there for you?
Looking at how Bud has moved onto New York, I see this as support for the "front office power" theory. It's not about the playoffs and it may or may not be about the money. Regardless, I think that Sarver and McDonough are being slammed unfairly...although their track record surely sucks.

I don't know enough about Clifford, but I'm willing to give him a shot. I know that his line about young players needing to earn time sounds bad...but it could be exactly what Chriss and Bender need. Josh Jackson has already proven that he merits time.

I'm just going to keep track of things and see how it falls out. McDonough knows that he needs to save his job, and that he needs to do well with this hire.

carey

Post by carey »

Gambo in hour 1 is suggesting that Bud may have played the Suns a bit. That the Suns didn't want it to get out that Bud was interviewing but that it was leaked. The take is that it was leaked by Bud & his agent so other teams would know that he is available.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

carey wrote:Gambo reported in hour 4 today that James Jones wants Fizdale.
Of course he does. I don't think anyone needs a source for that information.

My money has been on Fizdale since Bud no longer became possible.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Yeah, its been Fizdale for me since he was fired. Totally fine with it too, I dig the whole "heat culture" thing, we need something that isnt hugs and bad attitudes.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

carey wrote:Gambo in hour 1 is suggesting that Bud may have played the Suns a bit. That the Suns didn't want it to get out that Bud was interviewing but that it was leaked. The take is that it was leaked by Bud & his agent so other teams would know that he is available.
He's under contract so if he's asking permission to interview, someone's going to find out at some point. It wouldn't exactly be a secret regardless of which team he started with. And he still met with them first, for two days. He didn't leak it to the press and then meet with other teams first to create demand or leverage.

Also the Suns were fine letting Gambo know the names they had on their list and were going to be interviewing anyway. Sounds like they're trying to cover for themselves.

I'm still not convinced about Fizdale. He's the sexy name because he had 1 good season, got railroaded by a star and became a funny internet meme. If we want discipline, Clifford is the guy. Yea he wants young guys to earn it, but look at how Monk and Hernangomez finished the season. Vogel is another solid choice, but I worry after his stint in Orlando.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Only 3 candidates have interviewed in person. The rest have all been phone interviews.

The 3 that interviewed in person are Bud, Triano and Fizdale.

Bud is out. That leaves Fizdale & Triano. Triano has no connections to the Suns FO while Fizdale is the best buddy of Suns Vice President of Basketball Ops, James Jones.

It doesn’t take smart man (I’m not one) to figure out that David Fizdale will be the next Suns HC.(barring any future in person interviews).

Everything else is just smokescreen to make it seem like we’re doing “due diligence” rather than going with James Jones best friend AND the coaching candidate who cost among the least $$$ for Sarver.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Yeah, its been Fizdale for me since he was fired. Totally fine with it too, I dig the whole "heat culture" thing, we need something that isnt hugs and bad attitudes.
Yeah he did a great job with that with the only superstar player (Marc) he’s coached in HC capacity.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I just want this all be over
I had my mind set on getting the Bucks pick and the Budz hiring being a sign of changing times. Neither happened so I will like to fast forward to SL with whatever picks n coach in place and be done with this painful wait
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

UglyTruth wrote:Only 3 candidates have interviewed in person. The rest have all been phone interviews.

The 3 that interviewed in person are Bud, Triano and Fizdale.

Bud is out. That leaves Fizdale & Triano. Triano has no connections to the Suns FO while Fizdale is the best buddy of Suns Vice President of Basketball Ops, James Jones.

It doesn’t take smart man (I’m not one) to figure out that David Fizdale will be the next Suns HC.(barring any future in person interviews).

Everything else is just smokescreen to make it seem like we’re doing “due diligence” rather than going with James Jones best friend AND the coaching candidate who cost among the least $$$ for Sarver.
I think you have all of this right. With this ownership/management group, when there's smoke of interpersonal connections, there's fire. Jones has ties to Fizdale and wants him hired, so it'll probably happen. I would probably prefer Clifford, but I would give Fiz a try.

carey

Post by carey »

UglyTruth wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Yeah, its been Fizdale for me since he was fired. Totally fine with it too, I dig the whole "heat culture" thing, we need something that isnt hugs and bad attitudes.
Yeah he did a great job with that with the only superstar player (Marc) he’s coached in HC capacity.
Were you being facetious?

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/04/20/rum ... d-fizdale/
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

"Bud may have played the Suns a bit ..."

I'm shocked, shocked, shocked I say. The Suns management being outwitted by others? Oh, the humanity ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Please explain the "heat culture" thing. I'm not familiar with it.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Just listened to the Marc Stein interview on AZ Sports radio and I think you guys are right that Fizdale is the one. Now listening to Gambo and he said the Suns were ready to offer Budenholzer the job but after talking to Sarver one-on-one, he withdrew his name. That raises a red flag.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
https://www.hothothoops.com/2017/4/27/1 ... nba-season
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Superbone wrote:
https://www.hothothoops.com/2017/4/27/1 ... nba-season
Thanks! Although, I'm not sure a coach can bring that to an entire organization. It's got to be from top to bottom. Can he influence Sarver and McD? I hope so since he's already got James Jones in his corner.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I think it's going to come down to Fizdale or Kokoskov:

https://twitter.com/tribjazz/status/987576502983184384

Alvin Gentry on what a great choice Kokoskov would be:
http://arizonasports.com/story/1505176/ ... enix-suns/
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I prefer Kokoskov, I wouldn't hate fizdale though.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Superbone wrote:Just listened to the Marc Stein interview on AZ Sports radio and I think you guys are right that Fizdale is the one. Now listening to Gambo and he said the Suns were ready to offer Budenholzer the job but after talking to Sarver one-on-one, he withdrew his name. That raises a red flag.
Incredibly frustrating if true.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

What is the appeal of Kokoskov exactly? What do you guys like most about him? Not attacking the guy, just honestly asking. I haven't really heard much good or bad about him either way so I don't have a lot of excitement about him so far.