Suns Coach 2018-19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

So who do you want to see as a coach in 2018-19 (and beyond)?

Grass isn't always greener: Triano--What more could you ask with the group of guys we had this year and the development we have seen?
13%
Tried and true: Previous NBA head coach with bona fides / playoff wins
46%
Make the jump: Current NCAA head coach with bona fides / good tourny showings
10%
Shake it up: New coach from the assistant ranks across the league
18%
You make the call:Your poll options suck, Indy
13%

Total votes: 39

In2ition

Re: Suns Coach 2018-19

Post by In2ition »

The Bobster wrote:Here's the thing - they've been trying to acquire good players to put around him for a couple of years now (I assume), and how successful have they been at that?
I think you're right, but the cost was too high for the Suns and they didn't have enough assets yet. This year should be different.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Bobster wrote:Here's the thing - they've been trying to acquire good players to put around him for a couple of years now (I assume), and how successful have they been at that?
We’ve been I think patient, maybe patient to a fault with our assets, young players, and picks. I think we’re waiting for that one special player to cash it in on whether that be in the draft or potentially via trade in a big trade package.”
And I think to your earlier question, part of that is why we’re taking some bad losses is because over the last few summers when teams spent money like crazy like the salary cap was going to continue to rise forever, we were patient and disciplined and didn’t really do that. And that was hard, to be honest with you. It’s easier to throw a bunch of money around and say ‘We’ll figure it out down the road.’ We didn’t do that. We said alright we’ll bring in a few more young guys at a lower cost and give ourselves the flexibility down the road when Devin Booker and T.J. Warren and Josh Jackson these guys are ready to win at a higher level when they have more experience. So, that part of it is hard.
https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2018 ... atest-news

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

I would drop the word "they" and replace it with McDonough.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

In2ition wrote:
I think you're right, but the cost was too high for the Suns and they didn't have enough assets yet. This year should be different.
Sorry, I just do not see all these assets that folks keep talking about.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I hear Sean Miller might be available.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:I hear Sean Miller might be available.
Too soon!
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

I'd be curious if the 4 of us that chose Triano are still good with that.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Superbone wrote:I hear Sean Miller might be available.
Too soon!
Sorry. Grew up in Sun Devil country. ;)
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Another 20+ point loss.

"No" to Triano.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:Another 20+ point loss.

"No" to Triano.
Fine but no TJ, no JJ in the 2nd half, and a G Leaguer playing major minutes. I can't blame it all on Triano.
"Be Legendary."

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Indy wrote:I'd be curious if the 4 of us that chose Triano are still good with that.
I don't blame everything on Triano, but he seems more of a good assistant than head coach.
He was adequate as a transition year (being diplomatic) coach, sort of like John Wetzel.

But if the FO is sincere (and that remains to be seen) about moving forward next year, a new coach/approach is in order.

I had voted to keep him, but his inability to instill any sort of semblance of defense doesn't help his case.

As the late, great college coach Abe Lemons once told a player: "Son, I know you can't play a lick of defense, but at least you can shuffle your feet, wave your hands and yell at the guy."
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Indy

Post by Indy »

LazarusLong wrote:
Indy wrote:I'd be curious if the 4 of us that chose Triano are still good with that.
I don't blame everything on Triano, but he seems more of a good assistant than head coach.
He was adequate as a transition year (being diplomatic) coach, sort of like John Wetzel.

But if the FO is sincere (and that remains to be seen) about moving forward next year, a new coach/approach is in order.

I had voted to keep him, but his inability to instill any sort of semblance of defense doesn't help his case.

As the late, great college coach Abe Lemons once told a player: "Son, I know you can't play a lick of defense, but at least you can shuffle your feet, wave your hands and yell at the guy."
That is the part that kills me. You see a guy like Harrison that is giving all out effort, get yelled at by Chriss because he missed a switch. I get you want the players to hold each other accountable, but when a guy that looks so disinterested is calling out a g-league guy fighting for his life, something is wrong. And it has to start at the top. My problem is, Jay may be the head coach, but I get the sense the culture doesn't come from him. And we can't change our owner (and he seems unwilling to give the reigns to someone else as he simply collects profits).

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Well, yes, it's apparent that the franchise won't be fixed until Sarver is removed from the equation, but the defense and offense are both abysmal, in part due to poor player development and coaching and in part because of poor player acquisition.

God knows there's plenty of blame to go around when your team is staring 60 losses in the face.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:Well, yes, it's apparent that the franchise won't be fixed until Sarver is removed from the equation, but the defense and offense are both abysmal, in part due to poor player development and coaching and in part because of poor player acquisition.

God knows there's plenty of blame to go around when your team is staring 60 losses in the face.
Oh, we can beat 60.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I would love to see the numbers that show the Suns winning percentage until Sarver compared to the rest of the league, and then after.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Indy wrote:I would love to see the numbers that show the Suns winning percentage until Sarver compared to the rest of the league, and then after.
I wouldnt. :?
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:I would love to see the numbers that show the Suns winning percentage until Sarver compared to the rest of the league, and then after.
Oh, man. You know it's got to be brutal since he took over the 4th all-time winningest franchise in history.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

He did have 6 years of pretty elite teams. My guess is sarver record is around .500

Split T

Post by Split T »

Sarver - 583-534 for a .521 winning percentage
Pre sarver - 1582-1338 for a .542 winning percentage

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

When he first inherited the team shouldn't count. It's actually more of a count against him that he didn't win a championship with what he inherited. Had he signed Joe Johnson and taken Igoudala in the draft, we would have had our first NBA Championship
"Be Legendary."