Suns Coach 2018-19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

So who do you want to see as a coach in 2018-19 (and beyond)?

Grass isn't always greener: Triano--What more could you ask with the group of guys we had this year and the development we have seen?
13%
Tried and true: Previous NBA head coach with bona fides / playoff wins
46%
Make the jump: Current NCAA head coach with bona fides / good tourny showings
10%
Shake it up: New coach from the assistant ranks across the league
18%
You make the call:Your poll options suck, Indy
13%

Total votes: 39

Split T

Re: Suns Coach 2018-19

Post by Split T »

Well first 6 years he had a .647 winning percentage. Since then he's gone 251-374 for a winning percentage of .402

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks for the breakdown, Sp|it!
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:Thanks for the breakdown, Sp|it!
25/10 perfect use of the new moniker.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Honest question for those who feel Triano isn't good at coaching defense:

What do you see that makes you think our troubles on offense stem from bad players, but that those same players could be better defenders?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Because our players are young and athletic, and it doesn’t take much more than that to be good at defense with the right coaching. Offense requires skill, defense is brains and effort

carey

Post by carey »

specialsauce wrote:Because our players are young and athletic, and it doesn’t take much more than that to be good at defense with the right coaching. Offense requires skill, defense is brains and effort
If only the latter were true. I think you it's much more difficult to play defense and that good defenders need to be smarter than good offensive players.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:Honest question for those who feel Triano isn't good at coaching defense:

What do you see that makes you think our troubles on offense stem from bad players, but that those same players could be better defenders?
I disagree with Popeye here. There is a reason you have scores in the 100s and never shut outs. It is because offense is much easier than defense. Otherwise we would have soccer and hockey scores in basketball. But the reason I blame our current coaching staff for sucking at defense, is because you don't see guys rotating the way they should, being in the right position, or trying hard. That is on the coach.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:Honest question for those who feel Triano isn't good at coaching defense:

I disagree with Popeye here. There is a reason you have scores in the 100s and never shut outs. It is because offense is much easier than defense. Otherwise we would have soccer and hockey scores in basketball. But the reason I blame our current coaching staff for sucking at defense, is because you don't see guys rotating the way they should, being in the right position, or trying hard. That is on the coach.
All that stuff is coachable. I don’t think defense is about individual skill. Team defense requires a well coached unit that knows their assignments and rotations.

I don’t think you can coach someone into becoming a great offensive player , but you can coach a 5 man unit into playing great defense. See Popovich.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Meh. I don't think you can coach anyone into being great if they are just average. Even Pop. I understand some of what you are saying, because I do think that being better than average for 1 on 1 defense does take a lot of effort, and that is completely on the player to provide, but up to the coach to hold the player accountable.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

You have to acquire the right kinds of players and coach them well.

But there was no amount of coaching that was going to make Steve Nash (for example) into a good defensive player, and it wasn't because he wasn't smart or didn't try hard.

A large part of playing defense is technique, but another large part of it is having the physical tools. The Suns are less than a sum of their parts. They have players who have physical talent and some ability (Bender, Chriss, Len, Jackson) but aren't as good as they should be, and some (Booker, Warren, Payton) who really just have the mindset necessary and aren't good defensively at all. Then there's Daniels who has neither, Dudley, who's a doughboy and Chandler, who moves like he's somebody's grandfather.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Kyries a poor defender, Boston is a good defensive team.

I don’t see any physical limitations on our team. It’s all brains and communication holding them back

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

IMHO defense is just as much about talent as offense. You’ve got to have the mindset, the physical tools, and the skill.

Coaches can teach the skills and encourage the right mindset to grow, but the player has to have it to start with.

I think we’ve only got 4 players who are capable of playing good team defense, and 2 are rookies. Booker, Warren, Chriss, Dudley, Chandler, Payton, ulis, Daniels... None of those guys is going to be a good defender for any coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

With players this young and in this much need of development, I think a coach that is proven in producing wins with this age group is essential. Jay Wright has been coaching players in this category for years. He knows how to teach and develop and how to win. He does not win with high level recruiting. He wins with coaching and player development.

Jay Wright or a coach like him. A coach with NBA vet bona fides is going to get frustrated with this group.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I do respect his coaching.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I think we'll hire Fizdale. His connection is there with Jones, and he's probably about as big a name as the Suns can hope to land.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:... and Chandler, who moves like he's somebody's grandfather.
Do we know for a fact that Chandler isn't somebody's grandfather?
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I think we'll hire Fizdale. His connection is there with Jones, and he's probably about as big a name as the Suns can hope to land.
I would take Fizdale. I thought he showed a lot in Memphis. But a lot of you are going to think he's a little too Earl Watson for your taste:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/let- ... e-so-much/
"Be Legendary."

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Superbone wrote:When he first inherited the team shouldn't count. It's actually more of a count against him that he didn't win a championship with what he inherited. Had he signed Joe Johnson and taken Igoudala in the draft, we would have had our first NBA Championship
Thank you.

If I am correct he also limited how much he was willing to spend on players that were not starters. That created the short rotations not MDA. The coaches job is to win with the tools he is given.

I guess that is the reason I supported keeping Triano and still would not be all that pissed if he was rehired for next season.

What will make me pissed is if we have the same crappy roster to begin next year.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JustWinBaby wrote:What will make me pissed is if we have the same crappy roster to begin next year.
That would be mind boggling and extremely disappointing. Better sign Booker before that because that would be a good way to drive him out of here. And if Sarver manages that... God rest his soul.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

We aren't going to replace 15 players this summer, although I wish we would.

I'm hoping for 4-5 new faces in the top 10 rotation players. And I don't count Williams or Knight as new faces. Even so, it will be tough without very active and creative trading. We get maybe 2 of those guys in the draft.

<Starting PG> Harrison
Booker <Backup SG>
Jackson <Backup SF>
<Starting PF> Bender
<Starting Center> Williams