Suns Coach 2018-19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

So who do you want to see as a coach in 2018-19 (and beyond)?

Grass isn't always greener: Triano--What more could you ask with the group of guys we had this year and the development we have seen?
13%
Tried and true: Previous NBA head coach with bona fides / playoff wins
46%
Make the jump: Current NCAA head coach with bona fides / good tourny showings
10%
Shake it up: New coach from the assistant ranks across the league
18%
You make the call:Your poll options suck, Indy
13%

Total votes: 39

Split T

Re: Suns Coach 2018-19

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Split T wrote:I think someone like Chauncey Billups would be ideal. Needs to have basic shooting/defense/shot creation/playmaking.

I'd rank defense and shooting as the two attributes I find most important. I'd want anyone next to Booker to be a plus in both those areas. Also needs to be able to let Booker play off the ball and be a big enough threat to score that he opens up scoring opportunities for Booker.
A 3-and-D point guard next to Booker might lead to a team that has trouble distributing the ball and running the offense. Who's going to get the assists and set up the plays?
Jackson, and possibly Bender, and possibly our draft pick.
Yep, and I'm just saying I don't think we need Chris Paul at PG. Anyone who plays PG will need to have some playmaking skills. But with Booker, Jackson, and even Bender being able to initiate the offense a bit, we don't need or even want a ball dominant PG.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

That requires Bender to be on the floor. If he’s on the floor, we’re losing. No way do I want to rely on him for anything. If he improves in any way next year that would be a miracle but let’s not count on winning the lottery and simultaneously being struck by lightning

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:That requires Bender to be on the floor. If he’s on the floor, we’re losing. No way do I want to rely on him for anything. If he improves in any way next year that would be a miracle but let’s not count on winning the lottery and simultaneously being struck by lightning
If really doesn't. I just mentioned him because he has good passing instincts. Jackson and Booker alone have enough creation skills that we don't need a ball dominant PG. I also think you guys are misinterpreting what I mean. I'm not saying we should go after a stand in the corner and shoot 3's on offense guy. I just think elite shooting is more important than elite playmaking. The example I gave was Chauncey Billups, he was also a good distributor. Jrue Holiday would be a more current example of what I want to put next to Booker.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Agreed split. Successful teams typically have a balanced attack with 3 or more guys getting 3-4+ assists. We don't need 1 PG getting 8+ assists. We can have our PG get 5-6apg, Booker get can get 3-4, Jackson can get 3-4, even Bender can get 3-4.

The Cs have Irving, Horford and Smart averaging about 5apg each. The Ws have Curry averaging 6, KD averaging 5.4, Green about 7.5, Klay and Iggy at 3 each. Granted they have some of the best offensive players in the league, but it's not Steph doing everything for everyone else.

The Spurs used to have TP averaging 5apg, TD and Manu averaging 3.5 each.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:That requires Bender to be on the floor. If he’s on the floor, we’re losing. No way do I want to rely on him for anything. If he improves in any way next year that would be a miracle but let’s not count on winning the lottery and simultaneously being struck by lightning
If really doesn't. I just mentioned him because he has good passing instincts. Jackson and Booker alone have enough creation skills that we don't need a ball dominant PG. I also think you guys are misinterpreting what I mean. I'm not saying we should go after a stand in the corner and shoot 3's on offense guy. I just think elite shooting is more important than elite playmaking. The example I gave was Chauncey Billups, he was also a good distributor. Jrue Holiday would be a more current example of what I want to put next to Booker.
I agree with your general assessment, I just don’t want Bender to be relied on for anything at this point in particular. But I don’t think we need Steve Nash 2.0, someone like Billups is fine.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think Bender will have more value if he's next to a center like Ayton. If we draft Bagley or JJJ, Bender and Chriss both need to go. Maybe Bender can find a role off the bench but I'd rather just cut ties altogether.

A PG like Pat Beverly would work next to Booker. Solid PG, pitbull on D, can hit the open shot but isn't ball dominant.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Would a Doncic work as pg, where he plays off of Booker and Jackson and they play off him? In a your turn, my turn way.

I've been thinking that Doncic would be great, then possibly be able to trade the Mil or Miami pick in a trade for Marc Gasol, which would probably include Chandler for salary. Then use cap space to offer Randle.

This would allow the other pick between Milwaukee and Miami as either BPA or cap space relief in a trade of Chandler, Dudley, or Knight. Although you may be able to convince one of the first 2 to retire and a stretch provision could be used on the other.

The 2nd round picks could be good draft and stash candidates or depth. The young farmer turned center from Iceland is intriguing with the Raptor 2nd round pick.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I would love Doncic.

No thanks to Marc Gasol. I don’t hate him, but I would have liked him 5 years ago.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:
I agree with the principle.

Beverly is an usual suspect for these purposes. Among FAs, we could go after Cory Joseph. People seem to want nothing to do with Avery Bradley, though.

Youger guys, look at Terry Rozier (perhaps a little too trigger happy) and maybe Tyus Jones, who is not that much of a shooter but I really like how he plays under control. Spencer Dinwiddie too.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

BTW Split, going semi all in with Conley-Gasol has crossed my mind too as I couldn't find many difference makers who could be avilable for anything not involving Booker, Jackson and '18 pick. If you truly want to compete for the next three-four years, Warren, MIA, MIL, Chriss and Dudley-Knight-Chandler works under the cap.

If MEM was willing, I would have to think hard about it depending on what happens with our first pick.

Adding those tow could even be done without one of our big contracts going out, since we'd also have Sauce's non guaranteed, Daniels and filler.

In that case, we'd have one big contract left to help orchestate a trade for another vet star(ter), for which I'd try to keep Jackson and use future picks.

Cap

Post by Cap »

If Triano is not kept on as our head coach, does he go back to being lead assistant or does he leave?

EDC

Post by EDC »

Cap wrote:If Triano is not kept on as our head coach, does he go back to being lead assistant or does he leave?
We really need to clean house just to try and get the stink of the tank off of us. Need a whole new staff and to rotate out all the non core players that we can. To get a whole new vibe going at the start of next season.

Split T

Post by Split T »

EDC wrote:
Cap wrote:If Triano is not kept on as our head coach, does he go back to being lead assistant or does he leave?
We really need to clean house just to try and get the stink of the tank off of us. Need a whole new staff and to rotate out all the non core players that we can. To get a whole new vibe going at the start of next season.
This is kinda where I'm at.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
EDC wrote:
Same here
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

That's probably up to Triano. For most interims, they leave. But Triano is on record as liking the role of assistant more than lead guy. He has also said that he would like to be the head coach now too, but I am not sure staying as an assistant would seem that bad to him. Depends on who the head coach is.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
EDC wrote:
Same here
It's funny how up and down we've been on Triano this season. There have been times this season when we have played hard and seemed to be learning new BBall skills. For the last 10 or 20 games, it seems like we are regressing. If I get some time today, I'm going to try to track our ups and downs this season in terms of margin of victory and assists.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think he was a pretty decent coach for a young group for the first half of the season. As the losses have mounted, I think almost any coach starts to get the stink of losing associated with them, such that it's hard to look them in the face next year and say, "We're going to actually win now, guys." I think Triano has mostly been fine for this down year, and that we need to find a new coach going forward. Really hoping Fizdale will give us a look.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I think he was a pretty decent coach for a young group for the first half of the season. As the losses have mounted, I think almost any coach starts to get the stink of losing associated with them, such that it's hard to look them in the face next year and say, "We're going to actually win now, guys." I think Triano has mostly been fine for this down year, and that we need to find a new coach going forward. Really hoping Fizdale will give us a look.
I agree with that. I actually thought we were seeing signs of life at one point this year, then we went into the crapper.

I don't know what you guys thought about Monty Williams while he was coaching at New Orleans but I thought he did a pretty good job. I think he is working somewhere in the Spurs organization at the present time. I hope he at least gets a call for an interview.

Not that I would hate Fizdale but why was he let go in Memphis?
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Call me crazy, but I think a guy like Jeff Van Gundy is what we need to really turn this thing around. Pay him, let him bring in his own assistants, and establish a clear identity for the team and how we want to play. He's still a top basketball mind and knows what it takes to be successful.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:Call me crazy, but I think a guy like Jeff Van Gundy is what we need to really turn this thing around. Pay him, let him bring in his own assistants, and establish a clear identity for the team and how we want to play. He's still a top basketball mind and knows what it takes to be successful.
I think every message board for every team has had this exact statement made at some point since he stopped coaching. I wouldn’t mind him either, but after all this time why would he pick our situation to return to?