Suns Coach 2018-19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

So who do you want to see as a coach in 2018-19 (and beyond)?

Grass isn't always greener: Triano--What more could you ask with the group of guys we had this year and the development we have seen?
13%
Tried and true: Previous NBA head coach with bona fides / playoff wins
46%
Make the jump: Current NCAA head coach with bona fides / good tourny showings
10%
Shake it up: New coach from the assistant ranks across the league
18%
You make the call:Your poll options suck, Indy
13%

Total votes: 39

Split T

Re: Suns Coach 2018-19

Post by Split T »

Don't worry UglyTruth, Bud is still in play

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/986399079365267457

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I was just coming to post that, Sp|it. I hope we get him. Glad to hear we interviewed him first. He would have me the most excited of any potential hires.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

jonh wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:Bordow reporting that Suns are gonna interview James Borrego too. He’s with the Spurs now and with Magic before.

I don’t think this Budenholzer thing is happening if their adding candidates. Most people thought Budenholzer would be a “bang-bang” thing where they interview him and then offer him the job on the spot. Fact that their still adding more coaches to interview doesn’t bode well.

It was too good to be true anyway. Did anyone seriously think Sarver would pony up the $$$ for a top 10 HC like that? And the Suns still have the “laughing stock” label attached firmly to their franchise that I’m sure Budenholer hesitated as well.

Oh well. Hope they can hire a good cheap coach not an awful cheap coach. Kokosov should be cheap and a decent hire.

Good news is that this will likely be McDonough’s last hire :D
Bad news is that McD is likely to mortgage the team's future to try to save his job with a good season.
Honestly, a year ago I might have agreed with you as I had no idea what he was up to, but now his plan is starting to come into focus. I have a feeling you guys along with everyone around the NBA are going to be in for a big surprise how good this team is going to be and be set up for a long sustained success.
It sounds like your are basing this off of your...intuition.
So the question is, how credible is In2ition's intuition?

Hmm. I’ll have to put on my thinking cap.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Here's the Yahoo article on Borrego:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-sun ... 39007.html
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Here's the story

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/986406828690075649

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

One NBA scout said the Suns’ job is more attractive than widely perceived because of the talent on hand – in particular Devin Booker and Josh Jackson – the possibility of getting the No. 1 draft pick, and General Manager Ryan McDonough’s assertion that Phoenix is done rebuilding and instead will aggressively pursue veterans either in trades or free agency.
Until it turns out that veterans are just using the Suns as leverage for a better deal on a team they actually want to play for, again.

Hiring a respected coach is the first step. I'll actually believe McD about acquiring veterans a little bit if he can manage to bring Bud on board.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Cap

Post by Cap »

TJ Warren will average 20+ points a game this year.... Mark it. — iLLmatic
Are we giving this to iLL? Warren averaged 19.6. If you round to the nearest whole point, he gets it.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Cap wrote:
Are we giving this to iLL? Warren averaged 19.6. If you round to the nearest whole point, he gets it.
You better damn well give it to me lol. That's really close.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

jonh wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:Bordow reporting that Suns are gonna interview James Borrego too. He’s with the Spurs now and with Magic before.

I don’t think this Budenholzer thing is happening if their adding candidates. Most people thought Budenholzer would be a “bang-bang” thing where they interview him and then offer him the job on the spot. Fact that their still adding more coaches to interview doesn’t bode well.

It was too good to be true anyway. Did anyone seriously think Sarver would pony up the $$$ for a top 10 HC like that? And the Suns still have the “laughing stock” label attached firmly to their franchise that I’m sure Budenholer hesitated as well.

Oh well. Hope they can hire a good cheap coach not an awful cheap coach. Kokosov should be cheap and a decent hire.

Bad news is that McD is likely to mortgage the team's future to try to save his job with a good season.
Honestly, a year ago I might have agreed with you as I had no idea what he was up to, but now his plan is starting to come into focus. I have a feeling you guys along with everyone around the NBA are going to be in for a big surprise how good this team is going to be and be set up for a long sustained success.
Haha, not really. I'm seeing what he's doing and where he seems to be going.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

jonh

Post by jonh »

Bud met with the Suns on Monday and Tuesday:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 526775002/

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

All in for Coach Bud. Would be a really great start to our offseason if we could get him.

jonh

Post by jonh »

jonh wrote:Bud met with the Suns on Monday and Tuesday:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 526775002/
Edit: Obviously I was a little late to the party on this one.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

They're smart to interview a few other candidates, like Fizdale or Vogel, in case the Bud thing can't come to a mutual agreement. But Bud has to be the #1 choice. I actually like both of those other candidates. This makes me feel encouraged about our coaching search that we've gravitated away from inexperienced or awful choices like Jason Kidd, Mark Jackson, Jerry Stackhouse, etc. I am also glad they aren't going after Dan Majerle. Good guy, but I think he'll be better after more seasoning in college.

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/986446983744380930

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

iLLmatic wrote:
Cap wrote:
You better damn well give it to me lol. That's really close.
Except it's not 20+. It's 20. 8-)
"Be Legendary."

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

carey wrote:

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/986446983744380930

I hope they can interview Triano on the same day to get that over with.

They won't hire a coach without interviewing Triano first since they owe him that and promised him that.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:They're smart to interview a few other candidates, like Fizdale or Vogel, in case the Bud thing can't come to a mutual agreement. But Bud has to be the #1 choice. I actually like both of those other candidates. This makes me feel encouraged about our coaching search that we've gravitated away from inexperienced or awful choices like Jason Kidd, Mark Jackson, Jerry Stackhouse, etc. I am also glad they aren't going after Dan Majerle. Good guy, but I think he'll be better after more seasoning in college.
Why is Vogel a better candidate than Jerry Stackhouse?

I think they would've been better off going after Messina (who is already interviewing with Charlotte), Kokosov, Nurse instead of guys like Clifford/Vogel.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

In2ition wrote:
jonh wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:

Haha, not really. I'm seeing what he's doing and where he seems to be going.
Their just playing a joke with your username man.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
One NBA scout said the Suns’ job is more attractive than widely perceived because of the talent on hand – in particular Devin Booker and Josh Jackson – the possibility of getting the No. 1 draft pick, and General Manager Ryan McDonough’s assertion that Phoenix is done rebuilding and instead will aggressively pursue veterans either in trades or free agency.
Until it turns out that veterans are just using the Suns as leverage for a better deal on a team they actually want to play for, again.

Hiring a respected coach is the first step. I'll actually believe McD about acquiring veterans a little bit if he can manage to bring Bud on board.
Bring quality veterans will be a lot easier with an established coach like Budenholzer in place. Plus there are free agent players like Dwayne Dedmon who make a ton of sense for us as a cheap option at C that has ties to Budenholzer and could help recruit him here.