Suns Coach 2018-19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

So who do you want to see as a coach in 2018-19 (and beyond)?

Grass isn't always greener: Triano--What more could you ask with the group of guys we had this year and the development we have seen?
13%
Tried and true: Previous NBA head coach with bona fides / playoff wins
46%
Make the jump: Current NCAA head coach with bona fides / good tourny showings
10%
Shake it up: New coach from the assistant ranks across the league
18%
You make the call:Your poll options suck, Indy
13%

Total votes: 39

UglyTruth

Re: Suns Coach 2018-19

Post by UglyTruth »

Split T wrote:Don't worry UglyTruth, Bud is still in play
Spoiler: show/hide
I hope he's the one man.

I've frequented multiple Hawks forums and not found one of their fans say anything negative about him. Most think he's the best HC the Hawks have ever had and consider him their best asset and don't want to lose him. Some are even calling for their new GM's head over this whole ordeal.

Hiring Budenholzer will be the best thing McD has done since drafting Booker imo. I would even be okay with getting screwed in the lottery and falling to #3 if we can get him. He's someone that will establish a well run system in Phoenix and a coach that can last here at least 10+ years. And I'm someone that's big on continuity in sports as well.

He would be the perfect hire in every aspect.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:
Cap wrote:
TJ Warren will average 20+ points a game this year.... Mark it. — iLLmatic
Are we giving this to iLL? Warren averaged 19.6. If you round to the nearest whole point, he gets it.
You better damn well give it to me lol. That's really close.
Except it's not 20+. It's 20. 8-)
It's 20- ! But I would still give it to him.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

jonh

Post by jonh »

UglyTruth wrote:
In2ition wrote:
jonh wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
Bad news is that McD is likely to mortgage the team's future to try to save his job with a good season.
Honestly, a year ago I might have agreed with you as I had no idea what he was up to, but now his plan is starting to come into focus. I have a feeling you guys along with everyone around the NBA are going to be in for a big surprise how good this team is going to be and be set up for a long sustained success.
It sounds like your are basing this off of your...intuition.
Haha, not really. I'm seeing what he's doing and where he seems to be going.
Their just playing a joke with your username man.
I should have included a CSI miami Sunglasses picture to drive the point home. 8-)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:Here's the AZ Central story:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 526775002/
So it's not just us making shit up, There is historic precedent for giving up a 1st round pick.
When the Los Angeles Clippers hired Doc Rivers away from the Boston Celtics before the 2013-14 season the Celtics received an unprotected first-round pick in 2015, which ended up No. 28.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think a 1st is pretty standard. And given where we're at as a club, give them the Bucks pick and move on with Budz. Just git er dun.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:Here's the AZ Central story:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 526775002/
So it's not just us making s*** up, There is historic precedent for giving up a 1st round pick.
When the Los Angeles Clippers hired Doc Rivers away from the Boston Celtics before the 2013-14 season the Celtics received an unprotected first-round pick in 2015, which ended up No. 28.
The Clippers were hiring Rivers to also be their senior vice of basketball operations in addition to being head coach. Budenholzer is kind of the opposite - he's being paid the salary he negotiated as president of basketball operations with the Hawks before they hired Travis Schlenk away from Golden State to be their GM and take over Budenholzer's front office duties.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Many of these coaches have some type of relationship with a star who may have been linked in some way to the Suns. Does that matter when hiring a coach?

Budenholzen - Kawhi
Fizdale - LeBron
Clifford - Kemba
Kokosov - Doncic
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

ShelC wrote:I think a 1st is pretty standard. And given where we're at as a club, give them the Bucks pick and move on with Budz. Just git er dun.
Put the #31 on the table and another PHX unprotected second. MIL's pick is a ton to give up, although we are desperate enough and a change in the direction of the frachise would justify it. Still, an overpay is an overpay. I'd give up Chriss before that pick.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, 31 would be my best offer. That's 3 picks lower than what Boston got for Rivers. More than fair.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

31 in this draft is going to be a good pick.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

How many picks in that range does Atlanta need? I would think they would prefer a future pick.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:31 in this draft is going to be a good pick.
It could be and I'd love to keep it, but I'd eventually accept that deal. My first offer would be the Toronto pick.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:How many picks in that range does Atlanta need? I would think they would prefer a future pick.
That's true, they've got 3, 19, 30, 33 already. Maybe just give them our 2nd next year. Or how about we do a double pick swap. We get 19/33, they get 16/31?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Damn, I was actually thinking about the Miami pick we didn't get this year. I'd give them that one. It's a future pick they can stash and Miami might end up falling off at some point in the next year or 2.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Milwaukee pick? We got the Miami pick this year, or are you talking about the 2021 unprotected Miami pick? No way I'm trading that one.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:How many picks in that range does Atlanta need? I would think they would prefer a future pick.
That's true, they've got 3, 19, 30, 33 already. Maybe just give them our 2nd next year. Or how about we do a double pick swap. We get 19/33, they get 16/31?
If Atlanta feels they have too many picks in 2018, I'd gladly keep #31 and offer two future unprotected 2ndRs, even three plus cash.

The swap between 19/33 and 16/31 for Bud would leave a sour taste in my mouth but I'd probably bite if it came down to it.

MIA's future pick is obviously untouchable in such a move.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Split T wrote:
If Atlanta feels they have too many picks in 2018, I'd gladly keep #31 and offer two future unprotected 2ndRs, even three plus cash.

The swap between 19/33 and 16/31 for Bud would leave a sour taste in my mouth but I'd probably bite if it came down to it.

MIA's future pick is obviously untouchable in such a move.
I agree with this.

Didn't realize Atlanta had so many good picks this year.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't know what I'm talking about anymore. Proceed without me. Just get Budz!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

UglyTruth wrote:Why is Vogel a better candidate than Jerry Stackhouse?

I think they would've been better off going after Messina (who is already interviewing with Charlotte), Kokosov, Nurse instead of guys like Clifford/Vogel.
Vogel has already proven himself with success at the NBA level in Indiana. He had that team playing really well. He hasn't done well in Orlando, but I think part of this is that he has had a dreadful roster of mismatched pieces and almost no shooting up or down the roster. Vogel wouldn't be my first choice, but I think he is a solid NBA head coach.

I agree with you that Messina would be interesting. I am not a big fan of Kokoskov, but maybe I just underrate him from his time here during the bad old days.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:Why is Vogel a better candidate than Jerry Stackhouse?

I think they would've been better off going after Messina (who is already interviewing with Charlotte), Kokosov, Nurse instead of guys like Clifford/Vogel.
Vogel has already proven himself with success at the NBA level in Indiana. He had that team playing really well. He hasn't done well in Orlando, but I think part of this is that he has had a dreadful roster of mismatched pieces and almost no shooting up or down the roster. Vogel wouldn't be my first choice, but I think he is a solid NBA head coach.

I agree with you that Messina would be interesting. I am not a big fan of Kokoskov, but maybe I just underrate him from his time here during the bad old days.
The fact that Vogel spent a year playing Aaron Gordon at SF fills me with misgivings.