Suns Coach 2018-19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

So who do you want to see as a coach in 2018-19 (and beyond)?

Grass isn't always greener: Triano--What more could you ask with the group of guys we had this year and the development we have seen?
13%
Tried and true: Previous NBA head coach with bona fides / playoff wins
46%
Make the jump: Current NCAA head coach with bona fides / good tourny showings
10%
Shake it up: New coach from the assistant ranks across the league
18%
You make the call:Your poll options suck, Indy
13%

Total votes: 39

carey

Re: Suns Coach 2018-19

Post by carey »

Marty wrote:
Vogel has already proven himself with success at the NBA level in Indiana. He had that team playing really well. He hasn't done well in Orlando, but I think part of this is that he has had a dreadful roster of mismatched pieces and almost no shooting up or down the roster. Vogel wouldn't be my first choice, but I think he is a solid NBA head coach.
I mean... sounds familiar?
I agree with you that Messina would be interesting. I am not a big fan of Kokoskov, but maybe I just underrate him from his time here during the bad old days.
Wasn't he Gentry's assistant when we went to the WCF & very nearly the finals?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/Gambo987/status/986679594689310720

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Marty wrote:
Vogel has already proven himself with success at the NBA level in Indiana. He had that team playing really well. He hasn't done well in Orlando, but I think part of this is that he has had a dreadful roster of mismatched pieces and almost no shooting up or down the roster. Vogel wouldn't be my first choice, but I think he is a solid NBA head coach.
I agree with you that Messina would be interesting. I am not a big fan of Kokoskov, but maybe I just underrate him from his time here during the bad old days.
Yep, was assistant from 2008-2013, mostly with Gentry but he did stay when Gentry left and Hunter took over, so maybe Mori is remembering his last season which included Lindsey Hunter, Lance Blanks and Michael Beasley.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Well, I was just minding my own business grabbing lunch at Olive & Ivy in Scottsdale when none other than Ryan McDonough, James Jones, and David Fizdale stroll on by and head into the restaurant. They were just chatting casually. Unfortunately... I was unable to overhear anything. I did give McDonough a knowing head nod which, to his credit, he took in stride. I contemplated closing in for some further reconnaissance but I, um... was not confident in my ability to reconnoiter with anything even approaching stealth and I didn't want to adversely influence Fizdale's perception of Suns fans out here.

In case anyone was wondering, yes, the grilled chicken panini at Olive & Ivy was excellent.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

n4th4n wrote:Well, I was just minding my own business grabbing lunch at Olive & Ivy in Scottsdale when none other than Ryan McDonough, James Jones, and David Fizdale stroll on by and head into the restaurant. They were just chatting casually. Unfortunately... I was unable to overhear anything. I did give McDonough a knowing head nod which, to his credit, he took in stride. I contemplated closing in for some further reconnaissance but I, um... was not confident in my ability to reconnoiter with anything even approaching stealth and I didn't want to adversely influence Fizdale's perception of Suns fans out here.

In case anyone was wondering, yes, the grilled chicken panini at Olive & Ivy was excellent.
Lol! The outdoor patio there is great

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

n4th4n wrote:Well, I was just minding my own business grabbing lunch at Olive & Ivy in Scottsdale when none other than Ryan McDonough, James Jones, and David Fizdale stroll on by and head into the restaurant. They were just chatting casually. Unfortunately... I was unable to overhear anything. I did give McDonough a knowing head nod which, to his credit, he took in stride. I contemplated closing in for some further reconnaissance but I, um... was not confident in my ability to reconnoiter with anything even approaching stealth and I didn't want to adversely influence Fizdale's perception of Suns fans out here.

The great citizens of this site continue to provide voyeuristic insightes into Fizdale's mealtime activities. Bravo, friends!
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

O_Gardino wrote:

The great citizens of this site continue to provide voyeuristic insightes into Fizdale's mealtime activities. Bravo, friends!
Mcdo: David how good do you think you can be in Phoenix?

Fiz: Well, how GOOD are the whores in Scottsdale?

:lol: i keed I keed.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

djy2j wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

Mcdo: David how good do you think you can be in Phoenix?

Fiz: Well, how GOOD are the whores in Scottsdale?

:lol: i keed I keed.
Well, he is probably very knowledgeable in that already, haha :lol:
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I hope they wrap up Bud by the weekend. That would be a major coup.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:I hope they wrap up Bud by the weekend. That would be a major coup.
I think it bodes well they’re already interviewing Triano. They had told him they’d interview him last I heard somewhere. So I’m guessing (maybe wishful thinking) after two days of Bud they came to an agreement to hire him but are trying to be respectful of Triano so are rushing his interview up. I’m guessing they don’t even get to Vogel or Clifford then.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Superbone wrote:I hope they wrap up Bud by the weekend. That would be a major coup.
I think it bodes well they’re already interviewing Triano. They had told him they’d interview him last I heard somewhere. So I’m guessing (maybe wishful thinking) after two days of Bud they came to an agreement to hire him but are trying to be respectful of Triano so are rushing his interview up. I’m guessing they don’t even get to Vogel or Clifford then.
I honestly hope they still interview both. I also think Triano will have a great interview as he's never had one and got time to prepare for it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

While we are getting giddy about Budenholzer and some of the other names being thrown out there, I feel the need to correct some revisionist history.

When RYAN MCDONOUGH was hired, he was considered the best up-and-coming GM candidate in the league, after having apprenticed under Ainge. He was supposed to be the next great GM and his hiring was supposed to mark a franchise turnaround. He's done better than Babby or Blanks -- and certainly better than he is getting credit for from a lot of folks -- but make no mistake. Nobody expected his ego and lack of sensitivity to team chemistry to get in his way as much as it has.

When JEFF HORNACEK was hired, the board was absolutely giddy to have someone with a Suns connection returning home -- after having been the top up-and-coming Assistant Coach in the entire league. He was supposed to be the ultimate synthesis of Cotton and Jerry Sloan. Who knew that he would lose control of his locker room the way that he has? Sure, he got undercut by the Morri and the front office alike. But he hasn't done well in New York, either.

So -- I will wait to see whether the next miracle coach that we will hire will actually produce a miracle. What I hope is that they hire Bud or someone else good as head coach. And I really do hope that Triano stays on as assistant coach. Some continuity would be good, and he's been a great trooper.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Split T wrote:
carey wrote:
Marty wrote:
Yep, was assistant from 2008-2013, mostly with Gentry but he did stay when Gentry left and Hunter took over, so maybe Mori is remembering his last season which included L*****y H****r, L___e B____s and M****** B******.
Haha is Lance Blanks really censored out too?

How about Eric Bledsoe; ah nope.

carey

Post by carey »

virtual9mm wrote:
When JEFF HORNACEK was hired, the board was absolutely giddy to have someone with a Suns connection returning home -- after having been the top up-and-coming Assistant Coach in the entire league. He was supposed to be the ultimate synthesis of Cotton and Jerry Sloan. Who knew that he would lose control of his locker room the way that he has? Sure, he got undercut by the Morri and the front office alike. But he hasn't done well in New York, either.
I never thought Hornacek would do well in NY. In fact I thought it would be career suicide to go there. I'm not surprised it didn't last. He seems like a good guy that is better suited to an assistant role. Maybe he goes back to Utah or even Phoenix in some capacity some day.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

carey wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:
I never thought Hornacek would do well in NY. In fact I thought it would be career suicide to go there. I'm not surprised it didn't last. He seems like a good guy that is better suited to an assistant role. Maybe he goes back to Utah or even Phoenix in some capacity some day.
Horny's pretty old school, and I wonder if he'd do well as a college coach. Not sure if there's a role for him as an assistant coach. He's definitely an alpha personality -- unlike someone like Triano, who you could tell could do ok as a beta.

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

virtual9mm wrote:While we are getting giddy about Budenholzer and some of the other names being thrown out there, I feel the need to correct some revisionist history.

When RYAN MCDONOUGH was hired, he was considered the best up-and-coming GM candidate in the league, after having apprenticed under Ainge. He was supposed to be the next great GM and his hiring was supposed to mark a franchise turnaround. He's done better than Babby or B____s -- and certainly better than he is getting credit for from a lot of folks -- but make no mistake. Nobody expected his ego and lack of sensitivity to team chemistry to get in his way as much as it has.

So -- I will wait to see whether the next miracle coach that we will hire will actually produce a miracle. What I hope is that they hire Bud or someone else good as head coach. And I really do hope that Triano stays on as assistant coach. Some continuity would be good, and he's been a great trooper.
I'm with you on these points. But I feel there's less risk since Bud is a proven commodity as a coach (McD was a top assistant gm but no gm, Horny was a top assistant coach but no coach...). He already had pretty good results for the role he would be hired for.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

virtual9mm wrote:While we are getting giddy about Budenholzer and some of the other names being thrown out there, I feel the need to correct some revisionist history.

When RYAN MCDONOUGH was hired, he was considered the best up-and-coming GM candidate in the league, after having apprenticed under Ainge. He was supposed to be the next great GM and his hiring was supposed to mark a franchise turnaround. He's done better than Babby or B____s -- and certainly better than he is getting credit for from a lot of folks -- but make no mistake. Nobody expected his ego and lack of sensitivity to team chemistry to get in his way as much as it has.

Good post

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

McD was green and underestimated team chemistry and knowing how to leverage assets.

Hornacek was put in a bad spot by both FOs. McD left him hanging out to dry, then he got into bed with Phil and the triangle, at MSG/NY. It was a no-win situation in NY. D'Antoni flamed out there just the same for the same reasons. When MikeD was given a roster that fit his style (yea he's got superstars but still), he's proven his worth.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I's a good day when rhylek posts.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

O_Gardino wrote:I's a good day when rhylek posts.
Thanks pal ! :D