Suns Coach 2018-19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

So who do you want to see as a coach in 2018-19 (and beyond)?

Grass isn't always greener: Triano--What more could you ask with the group of guys we had this year and the development we have seen?
13%
Tried and true: Previous NBA head coach with bona fides / playoff wins
46%
Make the jump: Current NCAA head coach with bona fides / good tourny showings
10%
Shake it up: New coach from the assistant ranks across the league
18%
You make the call:Your poll options suck, Indy
13%

Total votes: 39

Indy

Suns Coach 2018-19

Post by Indy »

Thoughts? Any why did you choose what you did? Any specific names?

Superbone

Re: Suns Coach 2018-19

Post by Superbone »

The first name that comes to my mind is Fizdale. However, I just want a thorough interview process with experienced coaches. I like Triano but that Spurs game really sticks in my craw that he allowed his players to play like they did, settling for bad shots and playing terrible defense. Also, Triano teams have never been known for their defense.
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I'd throw a big offer at Budenholzer and see if he wants to jump to a team that (supposedly) has already covered the worst part of a rebuilding.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:I'd throw a big offer at Budenholzer and see if he wants to jump to a team that (supposedly) has already covered the worst part of a rebuilding.
Is part of that due to his Arizona ties?
"Be Legendary."

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Superbone wrote:The first name that comes to my mind is Fizdale. However, I just want a thorough interview process with experienced coaches. I like Triano but that Spurs game really sticks in my craw that he allowed his players to play like they did, settling for bad shots and playing terrible defense. Also, Triano teams have never been known for their defense.
I voted for making the jump and pursuing someone from the NCAA ranks. But I really like Fizdale and would go with him 100% if he's an option.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Superbone wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:I'd throw a big offer at Budenholzer and see if he wants to jump to a team that (supposedly) has already covered the worst part of a rebuilding.
Nah, I wasn't aware of that. Just that he comes from the Popovich tree and is proven in this league playing the modern style.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don't really care where the coach comes from. I do want a more modern coach that understands spacing and ball movement and has a system that supports those ideas. Brad Stevens is the prototype. Quinn Snyder runs a great system in Utah as well.

Is there a rising coach in the college ranks that fits that profile? Is there a rising assistant in the coaching trees of Stevens, Snyder, spoelstra, etc?

I don't know that I'd want any of the established vet coaches that are currently available. Kidd is a definite no. I'm indifferent on fizdale. I'm not sure about van gundy, but I can't imagine him coming to us.

I don't have an issue with triano, but I'm not sure he's the best option. I wouldn't hate bringing him back.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm fine with Triano for another year if he's willing to come back. We're not close to competing so overpaying for an established coach doesn't make sense. It would speed up the process, but any established coach will want to move players which may not work with McD. I'd like to see what Triano can do with a full training camp with Payton and Booker in the backcourt and (hopefully) an improved and more confident Bender in the mix.

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

I don’t care as long as they teach the team real defence, ball movement, shot selection and has more than 1-2 plays up their sleve.
Tarino isn’t it, but I’m sure Sarver will continue to penny pinch and keep him anyway.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

ShelC wrote:I'm fine with Triano for another year if he's willing to come back. We're not close to competing so overpaying for an established coach doesn't make sense. It would speed up the process, but any established coach will want to move players which may not work with McD. I'd like to see what Triano can do with a full training camp with Payton and Booker in the backcourt and (hopefully) an improved and more confident Bender in the mix.
I can see your point ShelC, but do you not think his limitations on teaching any defence will hinder the team going forward?
I ask because my thought is that giving the young guys another year of that gets it even further ingrained in their system and is harder to remedy.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Split T

Post by Split T »

England Sun wrote:
ShelC wrote:I'm fine with Triano for another year if he's willing to come back. We're not close to competing so overpaying for an established coach doesn't make sense. It would speed up the process, but any established coach will want to move players which may not work with McD. I'd like to see what Triano can do with a full training camp with Payton and Booker in the backcourt and (hopefully) an improved and more confident Bender in the mix.
I can see your point ShelC, but do you not think his limitations on teaching any defence will hinder the team going forward?
I ask because my thought is that giving the young guys another year of that gets it even further ingrained in their system and is harder to remedy.
Can we find a young defensive minded assistant to run the defense for triano?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Don’t want Triano back. Our defense has not improved at least to the eye test all year. Not sure who I want though.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

You definitely don't want guys forming bad habits on either end. I'm not as familiar with this coaching staff but we could always use a defensive mind on the staff. Not sure who's out there and even then, do we have the players to make a difference defensively? Kind of a two way street. Same with offense...Triano's supposedly a great offensive coach, but if guys like Payton, Jackson, TJ, Bender and Chriss can't spread the floor consistently, what's the use.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I think we need an experienced head coach who knows the craft of coaching. Not a disciplinarian or a players coach or an x's and o's guy. Somebody who can do all of that stuff, knows how to manage assistant coaches, and has high expectations about the details of how basketball is played.

Triano: I like him, and really appreciate how much basketball growth we've seen with him at the helm. I don't think he's going to be here for the next step, and I think keeping him on next season is just setting us up for another mid season coaching change. He's my last option.

New Coach: Could be an NBA guy, but I don't know of any knockout coaches that will be available. Could be an NCAA coach, if they realize it's just a coaching job and not a GM job. Could be an international or WNBA coach if they can make the jump to the longer schedule and bigger spotlight. I want a top 10 coach, not a journeyman who knows the job but doesn't excel.

My list* of candidates**:
Thunder Dan
Cheryl Reeve
Pablo Laso
Jay Triano
Fizdale
Jeff Van Gundy

* I would really hope that the Suns would have a better list than me.
** We all know that a lot of experienced coaches know what's up with Sarver and would not work for him.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

JVG piqued my interest with his work with the national team. I think he could do a lot with a younger team, now that he's been away from things and maybe wouldn't be such an intense taskmaster.

I think Fiz is overrated, personally.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I agree. I also agree with getting a defensive minded assistant to see if they can play at least a little bit of defense next year. The Suns have always been crappy on defense but they are taking it to all time crappy levels at times this year.

Our PG situation has been a huge issue for the last several years. I like what I have seen from Peyton in the one game we have seen but, he may or may not be our future PG. I am not quite ready to anoint him our PG of the future yet until he has proven himself over several games. We stil may need to draft/trade to get “the guy”.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Nah, I wasn't aware of that. Just that he comes from the Popovich tree and is proven in this league playing the modern style.
It doesn't seem like Atlanta ever released the details of his contract after they asked him stop being president and just coach. He was hired in 2013. Maybe his contract is up this year? He is a guy I could get support. His teams have been really good defensively (I don't count this year as they are in complete rebuild mode).

carey

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:JVG piqued my interest with his work with the national team. I think he could do a lot with a younger team, now that he's been away from things and maybe wouldn't be such an intense taskmaster.

I think Fiz is overrated, personally.
I'm surprised that Van Gundy is only 56. I think that's because he already looked 56 when he was coaching the Knicks.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Don't forget Ayton and Doncic. ;)
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Superbone wrote:
It doesn't seem like Atlanta ever released the details of his contract after they asked him stop being president and just coach. He was hired in 2013. Maybe his contract is up this year? He is a guy I could get support. His teams have been really good defensively (I don't count this year as they are in complete rebuild mode).
Budenholzer would be great and I do like the fact that he was born and raised in Holbrook, Arizona.
"Be Legendary."