Suns Coach 2018-19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

So who do you want to see as a coach in 2018-19 (and beyond)?

Grass isn't always greener: Triano--What more could you ask with the group of guys we had this year and the development we have seen?
13%
Tried and true: Previous NBA head coach with bona fides / playoff wins
46%
Make the jump: Current NCAA head coach with bona fides / good tourny showings
10%
Shake it up: New coach from the assistant ranks across the league
18%
You make the call:Your poll options suck, Indy
13%

Total votes: 39

UglyTruth

Re: Suns Coach 2018-19

Post by UglyTruth »

https://twitter.com/DevonHaripalNBA/status/990261055732441088

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

UglyTruth wrote:

Not exactly surprising news to us.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

O_Gardino wrote:
England Sun wrote:Lol!! Well I know how many state side struggle with my accent when I come to visit and I speak very clear English so I’ll understand if some struggle with any kind of accent.
I’ve listened to the interview and he is very clear, articulate and looks like he knows what he’s taking about.

If the American players who have had little exposure to anything but ‘American’ spoken language struggle with him, it would only be for a short while as their ears tune in to an ‘accent’ as is the norm in language acquisition.

For me it is an irrelevance because if he becomes coach he will have plenty of time to get to know the players and even more time to convey his points across before the season starts. Once started they won’t have any challenge being able to understand his already clear (imo) speech.
Dude, can you type that again, only slower? I don't think I got it all.
:) Lol, that actually made me laugh:)
If I had a dollar for how many times I have to repeat myself even when speaking slowly over there:)
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Who is this guy? People just say things, especially in sports journalism. Of course, his "league source" is probably Charles Barkley who said as much publicly.

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

The Bobster wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:

Not exactly surprising news to us.
But hopefully now it’s in the open media he can be called out on it repeatedly and told to back the hell off!! The media and fans need to take him to task and put him in his place (his office, upstairs, out of the way, Just signing cheques).
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Split T

Post by Split T »

UglyTruth wrote:

Well I'm glad they pulled out then. Sarver needs to learn to let people do their jobs. His ego is probably too big, but if all these accomplished coaches keep saying no thanks, maybe he'll get the idea.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:If we bring in Kokoskov, I hope we'll bring back Frank Johnson as an assistant. And then maybe we could also hire basketball writer Marc Stein as an advisor or scout. Then we'd have Frank 'n Stein and Igor!
10/10 :) you have peaked.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

JCSunsfan wrote:Who is this guy? People just say things, especially in sports journalism. Of course, his "league source" is probably Charles Barkley who said as much publicly.
Exactly what I thought. There are tons of "media" guys who are just wannabes on Twitter and put "NBA" in their handle. He's pretty much quoting Barkley and using the "sources" angle to seem like an insider.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

ShelC wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:Who is this guy? People just say things, especially in sports journalism. Of course, his "league source" is probably Charles Barkley who said as much publicly.
Exactly what I thought. There are tons of "media" guys who are just wannabes on Twitter and put "NBA" in their handle. He's pretty much quoting Barkley and using the "sources" angle to seem like an insider.
Are you kidding? You know it was already reported that Sarver has one on one meetings with coaches after each game advising them on gameplabs for the next game right? James Jones had to be the one to say that Sarver needs to stop doing that.

This just confirms all that.

You can’t defend Sarver. It’s impossible.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Split T wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:

Well I'm glad they pulled out then. Sarver needs to learn to let people do their jobs. His ego is probably too big, but if all these accomplished coaches keep saying no thanks, maybe he'll get the idea.
He hasn’t got the idea after 14 years, I highly doubt he’s gonna get it now.

You can’t polish a turd. You just can’t.

TOO

Post by TOO »

UglyTruth wrote:

Fairly unlikely that a dude with 700 followers has actual league sources.

But the Sarver haters (and rightfully so) will jump all over this as the reason. I will wait until someone noteworthy says something.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

TOO

Post by TOO »

UglyTruth wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Are you kidding? You know it was already reported that Sarver has one on one meetings with coaches after each game advising them on gameplabs for the next game right? James Jones had to be the one to say that Sarver needs to stop doing that.

This just confirms all that.

You can’t defend Sarver. It’s impossible.
This doesnt confirm anything, I could post this on twitter, it would be the same thing. This is a nobody who works for a website that nobody has heard of. :roll:

jonh

Post by jonh »

Yeah, this seems like a nice way to post something provocative. Slow news day.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

That's all I was trying to point out. Not defending Sarver, just that this guy probably isn't any kind of insider.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Hermen wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:If we bring in Kokoskov, I hope we'll bring back Frank Johnson as an assistant. And then maybe we could also hire basketball writer Marc Stein as an advisor or scout. Then we'd have Frank 'n Stein and Igor!
10/10 :) you have peaked.
Pretty good... For a Warriors fan. :?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Yeah, until I hear it from a reputable source, I'm going to hold out hope that Sarver has been learning how to be more hands off and let people do their jobs which we've also read from local beat reporters.
"Be Legendary."

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Yeah, until I hear it from a reputable source, I'm going to hold out hope that Sarver has been learning how to be more hands off and let people do their jobs which we've also read from local beat reporters.
Woj or Stein reported that James Jones had to tell Sarver to end his 1 hour meeting sessions with coaches discussing gameplans.

Your hope is being misplaced.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

UglyTruth wrote:
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Woj or Stein reported that James Jones had to tell Sarver to end his 1 hour meeting sessions with coaches discussing gameplans.

We are all screwed if Sarver hasn't learned anything in his 14 years of ownership. We have been on a steady decline ever since he took over. For someone that is supposed to be smart in business, I'd be really surprised if he hasn't made any strides in letting his hires do their jobs.
"Be Legendary."

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

UglyTruth wrote:
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Isn't the exact opposite true though if someone (James Jones) is taking steps to fix the situation?

TOO

Post by TOO »

n4th4n wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Isn't the exact opposite true though if someone (James Jones) is taking steps to fix the situation?
UT seems to be one of those dudes who is convinced the sun will never come back out.