Suns Coach 2018-19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

So who do you want to see as a coach in 2018-19 (and beyond)?

Grass isn't always greener: Triano--What more could you ask with the group of guys we had this year and the development we have seen?
13%
Tried and true: Previous NBA head coach with bona fides / playoff wins
46%
Make the jump: Current NCAA head coach with bona fides / good tourny showings
10%
Shake it up: New coach from the assistant ranks across the league
18%
You make the call:Your poll options suck, Indy
13%

Total votes: 39

Cap

Re: Suns Coach 2018-19

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
ShelC wrote:I always quote myself instead of editing the original still making honey.
I would totally turn the filters back on if Mori would set them up to replace banned names with other words that are very similar, but make no sense. He should do the same with common acronyms. ;)
What, like Pearl Datsun and Faerie Sporter?

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

Becky Hammon

1. pupil of pop
2. men like to impress the ladies
3. historic, interesting experiment, right for a young team, likely to add many fans

Cap

Post by Cap »

1tinsoldier wrote: 3. historic, interesting experiment, right for a young team, likely to add many fans
That cuts both ways; a lot of conservative fans are rebelling against the "political correctness" in sports. It might lose as many fans as it wins over.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I don't think this team needs a coach who is an experiment.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Would love Fizdale, though I'd want to ask him whether he still hates "data" and analytics so much. Would be happy to consider Becky Hammon; she learned from the best and is smart as a whip. I don't 100% hate college coaches but I do generally have concerns about them handling NBA players. I don't hate the job Triano is doing, either, though he has cooled off a lot since some really positive initial signs when he first took over.

carey

Re: RE: Re: Suns Coach 2018-19

Post by carey »

Cap wrote:
1tinsoldier wrote: 3. historic, interesting experiment, right for a young team, likely to add many fans
That cuts both ways; a lot of conservative fans are rebelling against the "political correctness" in sports. It might lose as many fans as it wins over.
Good. Fuck em. My issue isthat I am not sure she is 100% ready. She is a bit more prepared than when Swing wanted her though.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I don't 100% hate college coaches but I do generally have concerns about them handling NBA players.
There's a real possibility that Brandon Knight and TJ Warren will be the oldest players on the roster next season. This isn't a typical NBA squad.

carey

Post by carey »

Cap wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I don't 100% hate college coaches but I do generally have concerns about them handling NBA players.
There's a real possibility that Brandon Knight and TJ Warren will be the oldest players on the roster next season. This isn't a typical NBA squad.
So you see Chandler & Dudley both moving on next season? Not that I'd mind. I still think McDonough will want to keep some of that "veteran leadership" around.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

carey wrote:
Cap wrote:
So you see Chandler & Dudley both moving on next season? Not that I'd mind. I still think McDonough will want to keep some of that "veteran leadership" around.
I think it's possible they'll be gone, and even if they're still here they don't matter very much.

1tinsoldier

Re: RE: Re: Suns Coach 2018-19

Post by 1tinsoldier »

carey wrote:
Cap wrote:
Good. f*** em. My issue isthat I am not sure she is 100% ready. She is a bit more prepared than when Swing wanted her though.
Becky will have more experience after this year's playoff run

i don't see her as a politically correct choice
but even if some do, Pop has been raging against the right and i don't know that it's hurt the spurs

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

It's nice to say what we all want, but the reality is it's all about what Sarver will pay for. History has shown it's whoever is willing to work for cheap. That points to an up-and-coming assistant.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:It's nice to say what we all want, but the reality is it's all about what Sarver will pay for. History has shown it's whoever is willing to work for cheap.
OK, I'll do it already! Quit asking.
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:So you see Chandler & Dudley both moving on next season? Not that I'd mind. I still think McDonough will want to keep some of that "veteran leadership" around.
Those expirings could be really useful if the franchise decides that next summer is the time to make a big move. Such cap relief combined with prspects/picks should be enticing to teams looking to start a rebuild, although at the moment I can see very little available on that front.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think Becky is learning from the best to take over the Spurs. Why would she want to come here?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Shabazz wrote:It's nice to say what we all want, but the reality is it's all about what Sarver will pay for. History has shown it's whoever is willing to work for cheap. That points to an up-and-coming assistant.
It's far more fun to debate the best choice rather than wait for the inevitable bad choice.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Most of the time, the "veteran leadership" is overrated IMO. Your best player(s) should be your leaders and the other players, especially the younger ones, should follow their lead. Eventually, that's got to be guys like Booker, Jackson, Payton. Tyson and Duds can give pointers on NBA life, but if they're not playing, they don't have much weight with the guys IMO.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Agree. Your veteran players need to at least be guys that would get playing time on most teams.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:Agree. Your veteran players need to at least be guys that would get playing time on most teams.
Or at least play the right way. Tyson doesn't even try on defense. And he can't even catch most of those lobs anymore. At least Dudley is always making the right play and rotating. There is no way we need both of these guys, though.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Having old guys on the roster isn't a problem. The Suns have one of the youngest rosters in history, so I think the complaints that 2 of the guys are vets are... Well, I just don't respect that complaint.

The problem with Chandler is that Williams is injured. The problem with Dudley is that Chriss and Bender haven't developed very quickly, and enough of our guards are injured that we can't go small very often.

We are going to have 17 guys on our roster every season. Even in your best years, 7 or 8 of them will have no NBA future. They'll either be old guys without much left to offer, or young guys who never get a chance to show their skills, or journeymen who we already know aren't ever going to be good. There will always be end-of-the-bench guys.

The problem on the Suns is that we have to play ours.

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:Having old guys on the roster isn't a problem. The Suns have one of the youngest rosters in history, so I think the complaints that 2 of the guys are vets are... Well, I just don't respect that complaint.

The problem with Chandler is that Williams is injured. The problem with Dudley is that Chriss and Bender haven't developed very quickly, and enough of our guards are injured that we can't go small very often.

We are going to have 17 guys on our roster every season. Even in your best years, 7 or 8 of them will have no NBA future. They'll either be old guys without much left to offer, or young guys who never get a chance to show their skills, or journeymen who we already know aren't ever going to be good. There will always be end-of-the-bench guys.

The problem on the Suns is that we have to play ours.
I think the point is, if you are going to have 5-6 guys at the end of the bench, why are you not using that on guys that *might* have a future, as opposed to ones where they are well passed their playing days? Besides getting the upside of taking a chance on something that could pan out, you don't pay end of the bench guys $40 million a year. That is just stupid.