Suns Coach 2018-19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

So who do you want to see as a coach in 2018-19 (and beyond)?

Grass isn't always greener: Triano--What more could you ask with the group of guys we had this year and the development we have seen?
13%
Tried and true: Previous NBA head coach with bona fides / playoff wins
46%
Make the jump: Current NCAA head coach with bona fides / good tourny showings
10%
Shake it up: New coach from the assistant ranks across the league
18%
You make the call:Your poll options suck, Indy
13%

Total votes: 39

LazarusLong

Re: Suns Coach 2018-19

Post by LazarusLong »

"The problem with Chandler is that Williams is injured."

The problem with Chandler is that he starts and plays as much as he wants, eating into Len's minutes.
The FO does this because of Chandler's contract, not because of merit.
Chandler was once a serviceable center, but he's past it.
Len, even with his faults, is now a better all around pivot.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:Having old guys on the roster isn't a problem. The Suns have one of the youngest rosters in history, so I think the complaints that 2 of the guys are vets are... Well, I just don't respect that complaint.

The problem with Chandler is that Williams is injured. The problem with Dudley is that Chriss and Bender haven't developed very quickly, and enough of our guards are injured that we can't go small very often.

We are going to have 17 guys on our roster every season. Even in your best years, 7 or 8 of them will have no NBA future. They'll either be old guys without much left to offer, or young guys who never get a chance to show their skills, or journeymen who we already know aren't ever going to be good. There will always be end-of-the-bench guys.

The problem on the Suns is that we have to play ours.
I think the point is, if you are going to have 5-6 guys at the end of the bench, why are you not using that on guys that *might* have a future, as opposed to ones where they are well passed their playing days? Besides getting the upside of taking a chance on something that could pan out, you don't pay end of the bench guys $40 million a year. That is just stupid.
The Suns have close to the lowest payroll allowed in the NBA, and have given way too may minutes to young guys who "might" have a future in the NBA. Large contracts and lack of young players with questionable upside are absolutely not problems that the Suns have.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

LazarusLong wrote:"The problem with Chandler is that Williams is injured."

The problem with Chandler is that he starts and plays as much as he wants, eating into Len's minutes.
I don't buy it.

Len isn't good. He's OK, but he isn't good. If he played more, folks here would be roasting him instead of Chandler.

If Williams was here, Chandler would be playing a lot less, and Len would look bad in comparison to Williams.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

The problem is that the Suns highest paid players are Greg Monroe (bought out), Brandon Knight (injured), Tyson Chandler and Jared Dudley.

If they were paying that money to good veteran players they would unquestionably be a better team. But those four players (and their limited contributions) made $54 million this year combined.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The problem is that the Suns are bad.

If you are committed to having a young, bad team, then the 54 million paid to a few vets bad vets doesn't matter. You're going to pay that money to someone, it's the NBA salary law.

Again, of all the Suns problems this season, it's not that we are paying too much money or employing too many old guys.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

There are many, many problems with this team.

And I think we all agree it starts at the top.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:

I don't buy it.

Len isn't good. He's OK, but he isn't good. If he played more, folks here would be roasting him instead of Chandler.

If Williams was here, Chandler would be playing a lot less, and Len would look bad in comparison to Williams.

Code: Select all

Rk           Player  Season Age  G   MP  PER  TS% 3PAr  FTr ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV%  USG% OWS DWS  WS   WS/48 OBPM DBPM  BPM VORP
1    Tyson Chandler 2017-18  35 42 1066 14.1 .639 .000 .514 12.7 28.2 20.3  6.5  0.6  1.9 20.6  10.7 1.6 0.7 2.4    .107 -1.4  0.9 -0.5  0.4
2          Alex Len 2017-18  24 49 1002 19.4 .619 .000 .638 13.2 27.7 20.3  9.1  0.9  3.5 15.0  16.7 2.4 0.9 3.3    .156 -0.3  1.2  0.9  0.7
Provided by Basketball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 2/15/2018.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The Bobster wrote:There are many, many problems with this team.

And I think we all agree it starts at the top.
Amen.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

I don't buy it.

Code: Select all

Rk           Player  Season Age  G   MP  PER  TS% 3PAr  FTr ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV%  USG% OWS DWS  WS   WS/48 OBPM DBPM  BPM VORP
1    Tyson Chandler 2017-18  35 42 1066 14.1 .639 .000 .514 12.7 28.2 20.3  6.5  0.6  1.9 20.6  10.7 1.6 0.7 2.4    .107 -1.4  0.9 -0.5  0.4
2          Alex Len 2017-18  24 49 1002 19.4 .619 .000 .638 13.2 27.7 20.3  9.1  0.9  3.5 15.0  16.7 2.4 0.9 3.3    .156 -0.3  1.2  0.9  0.7
Provided by Basketball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 2/15/2018.
I get it that Len is having his best year. I just think it's diminishing returns to play him more minutes.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Len is having a much better season than Chandler. Len isn't getting minutes because we know he's leaving and the well is poisoned. If we had signed Len to a contract, he'd likely be getting more consistent minutes and putting up better numbers.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I finally voted for "Tried and true" and now see that it is by far the most popular choice.
"Be Legendary."

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Len is having a much better season than Chandler. Len isn't getting minutes because we know he's leaving and the well is poisoned. If we had signed Len to a contract, he'd likely be getting more consistent minutes and putting up better numbers.
that's how i see it. if he started all year, he'd be a better than average center, and he will be for another team
it seems he was starting to shine earlier this season, then became out of sync again with the limited minutes

like a lot of other things in recent years, this situation reflects badly on management

even though he'll be a free agent, could they still have offered him an attractive contract anytime this year?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I just don't see it with Len, he's a good defensive anchor/rebounder but he's not elite and that's what you need to be if you're a non shooter and completely dependent on others offensively. He's like the 60% version of Gobert.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:I just don't see it with Len, he's a good defensive anchor/rebounder but he's not elite and that's what you need to be if you're a non shooter and completely dependent on others offensively. He's like the 60% version of Gobert.
Agreed. I can't wait for him to be gone so the discussion about "if he only got more PT" can come to an end. He's been "snubbed" by 3 coaches.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:I just don't see it with Len, he's a good defensive anchor/rebounder but he's not elite and that's what you need to be if you're a non shooter and completely dependent on others offensively. He's like the 60% version of Gobert.
Agreed. I can't wait for him to be gone so the discussion about "if he only got more PT" can come to an end. He's been "snubbed" by 3 coaches.
He has played just as many minutes as Tyson this year. So I don't think he is getting snubbed. And I don't think his play in previous years was much better (if at all) than the other players we had in front of him. I do think our player development coaches have not handled him well. I will be very surprised if he isn't signed to a deal and playing as a starting 5 or primary back up 5 next year.

But honestly, I like Williams more. So as long as he is back and healthy, it won't matter. Especially if we can get a great big man in the draft.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Speaking of Williams, did he get a prosthetic leg? What the hell is taking so long with his recovery?

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:Speaking of Williams, did he get a prosthetic leg? What the hell is taking so long with his recovery?
It wasn't a scope. It was a full blown meniscus repair. So once it is all healed, then he will have to do all the work to get back into playing shape. I didn't expect him back until march or so. I haven't heard an update lately.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

DIdn't realize his injury was only in September. Feels like he's been out a lot longer.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:DIdn't realize his injury was only in September. Feels like he's been out a lot longer.
THis season feels like 3.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya Williams got hurt during training camp? Or maybe right before? They said 4-6 months and leaned more towards 6.