Suns Coach 2018-19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

So who do you want to see as a coach in 2018-19 (and beyond)?

Grass isn't always greener: Triano--What more could you ask with the group of guys we had this year and the development we have seen?
13%
Tried and true: Previous NBA head coach with bona fides / playoff wins
46%
Make the jump: Current NCAA head coach with bona fides / good tourny showings
10%
Shake it up: New coach from the assistant ranks across the league
18%
You make the call:Your poll options suck, Indy
13%

Total votes: 39

UglyTruth

Re: Suns Coach 2018-19

Post by UglyTruth »

Just waiting for the inevitable tweet from Woj:

Phoenix Suns have agreed to 3 year deal with Jay Triano making him full time HC through 2021, league sources tell ESPN.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

UglyTruth wrote:Just waiting for the inevitable tweet from Woj:

Phoenix Suns have agreed to 3 year deal with Jay Triano making him full time HC through 2021, league sources tell ESPN.
This guy knows his team.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

EDC

Post by EDC »

virtual9mm wrote:While we are getting giddy about Budenholzer and some of the other names being thrown out there, I feel the need to correct some revisionist history.

When RYAN MCDONOUGH was hired, he was considered the best up-and-coming GM candidate in the league, after having apprenticed under Ainge. He was supposed to be the next great GM and his hiring was supposed to mark a franchise turnaround. He's done better than Babby or Blanks -- and certainly better than he is getting credit for from a lot of folks -- but make no mistake. Nobody expected his ego and lack of sensitivity to team chemistry to get in his way as much as it has.

When JEFF HORNACEK was hired, the board was absolutely giddy to have someone with a Suns connection returning home -- after having been the top up-and-coming Assistant Coach in the entire league. He was supposed to be the ultimate synthesis of Cotton and Jerry Sloan. Who knew that he would lose control of his locker room the way that he has? Sure, he got undercut by the Morri and the front office alike. But he hasn't done well in New York, either.

So -- I will wait to see whether the next miracle coach that we will hire will actually produce a miracle. What I hope is that they hire Bud or someone else good as head coach. And I really do hope that Triano stays on as assistant coach. Some continuity would be good, and he's been a great trooper.
Hornacek was hired during the down time between sites. Some of us posted on realgm during that time.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewto ... &t=1252670
nevetsov wrote:I like the idea of Hornacek being our next coach, because Hornacek is not Lindsey Hunter.
That probably sums up his hiring the best.

Only poster I recognize from here is Carey. He didn't even give a real opinion either. Most of us were so apathetic we couldn't even be bothered to post.
That was back when we had such promising young players like the Morris brothers and Kendall Marshall.
Hornacek had two and a half years of actual assistant coaching. The rest of the time he was a player development guy. He wasn't a top up and coming anything.

I also don't think we were giddy when McD was hired but more likely hopeful that an unproven GM would learn the ropes, without making huge mistakes, and eventually become a good GM..

Bud is definitely considered a very good coach around the league unlike Hornacek. :)

Also why would you want any continuity after having one of the worst Suns seasons ever? Triano has to go and it would be insane to force him on a new head coach.
Last edited by EDC on Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I didn’t see your initial sentence. Don’t fucking do that to me

carey

Post by carey »

EDC wrote:Only poster I recognize from here is Carey. He didn't even give a real opinion either. Most of us were so apathetic we couldn't even be bothered to post.
But I did use that thread to give a freezing cold Markieff Morris take! :lol:
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

specialsauce wrote:

I didn’t see your initial sentence. Don’t f*** do that to me
LOL. I had the same initial reaction. Thought for a second this was actual news, and didn’t like it.

EDC

Post by EDC »

carey wrote:
EDC wrote:Only poster I recognize from here is Carey. He didn't even give a real opinion either. Most of us were so apathetic we couldn't even be bothered to post.
But I did use that thread to give a freezing cold Markieff Morris take! :lol:
Yep. You were right we should have let him walk. :)

Cap

Post by Cap »

EDC wrote:
carey wrote:
But I did use that thread to give a freezing cold M******f M****s take! :lol:
Well, we did get a first-rounder for him (plus a 2020 second-rounder for for his brother). The first-rounder turned into Marqueese Chriss. Meh.

EDC

Post by EDC »

Cap wrote:
EDC wrote:
carey wrote:
But I did use that thread to give a freezing cold M******f M****s take! :lol:
Well, we did get a first-rounder for him (plus a 2020 second-rounder for for his brother). The first-rounder turned into Marqueese Chriss. Meh.
True, and maybe Chriss just needs Bud yelling at him to become an all star.

We can dream. :lol:

Who am I kidding. I can see it now. He pouted when Triano held him accountable. He will probably go full on tantrum if someone also starts yelling at him. :)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

UglyTruth wrote:
Split T wrote:
carey wrote:
Marty wrote:
Vogel has already proven himself with success at the NBA level in Indiana. He had that team playing really well. He hasn't done well in Orlando, but I think part of this is that he has had a dreadful roster of mismatched pieces and almost no shooting up or down the roster. Vogel wouldn't be my first choice, but I think he is a solid NBA head coach.
I mean... sounds familiar?
I agree with you that Messina would be interesting. I am not a big fan of Kokoskov, but maybe I just underrate him from his time here during the bad old days.
Wasn't he Gentry's assistant when we went to the WCF & very nearly the finals?
Yep, was assistant from 2008-2013, mostly with Gentry but he did stay when Gentry left and Hunter took over, so maybe Mori is remembering his last season which included L*****y H****r, L___e B____s and M****** B******.
Haha is L___e B____s really censored out too?

How about Eric Bledsoe; ah nope.
Notice that Blanks even gets special treatment with underscores (blanks) versus asterisks.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

EDC wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:While we are getting giddy about Budenholzer and some of the other names being thrown out there, I feel the need to correct some revisionist history.

When RYAN MCDONOUGH was hired, he was considered the best up-and-coming GM candidate in the league, after having apprenticed under Ainge. He was supposed to be the next great GM and his hiring was supposed to mark a franchise turnaround. He's done better than Babby or B____s -- and certainly better than he is getting credit for from a lot of folks -- but make no mistake. Nobody expected his ego and lack of sensitivity to team chemistry to get in his way as much as it has.

When JEFF HORNACEK was hired, the board was absolutely giddy to have someone with a Suns connection returning home -- after having been the top up-and-coming Assistant Coach in the entire league. He was supposed to be the ultimate synthesis of Cotton and Jerry Sloan. Who knew that he would lose control of his locker room the way that he has? Sure, he got undercut by the Morri and the front office alike. But he hasn't done well in New York, either.

So -- I will wait to see whether the next miracle coach that we will hire will actually produce a miracle. What I hope is that they hire Bud or someone else good as head coach. And I really do hope that Triano stays on as assistant coach. Some continuity would be good, and he's been a great trooper.
Hornacek was hired during the down time between sites. Some of us posted on realgm during that time.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewto ... &t=1252670
nevetsov wrote:I like the idea of Hornacek being our next coach, because Hornacek is not L*****y H****r.
That probably sums up his hiring the best.

Only poster I recognize from here is Carey. He didn't even give a real opinion either. Most of us were so apathetic we couldn't even be bothered to post.
That was back when we had such promising young players like the Morris brothers and Kendall Marshall.
Hornacek had two and a half years of actual assistant coaching. The rest of the time he was a player development guy. He wasn't a top up and coming anything.

I also don't think we were giddy when McD was hired but more likely hopeful that an unproven GM would learn the ropes, without making huge mistakes, and eventually become a good GM..

Bud is definitely considered a very good coach around the league unlike Hornacek. :)

Also why would you want any continuity after having one of the worst Suns seasons ever? Triano has to go and it would be insane to force him on a new head coach.
It was a real shame that the phx-suns.net community was unable to be together during our improbable 48 win season. That was the last real fun we've had.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://twitter.com/sbordow/status/986995080971018241

"Be Legendary."

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

Superbone wrote:It was a real shame that the phx-suns.net community was unable to be together during our improbable 48 win season. That was the last real fun we've had.
Well I had a pretty good pizza with my friends last saturday... ;)

jonh

Post by jonh »

rhylek wrote:
Superbone wrote:It was a real shame that the phx-suns.net community was unable to be together during our improbable 48 win season. That was the last real fun we've had.
I think we’ve made it clear in this thread that we don’t want to hear about it unless it involves Ftizdale, McD, and/or hookers

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

jonh wrote:
rhylek wrote:
I think we’ve made it clear in this thread that we don’t want to hear about it unless it involves Ftizdale, McD, and/or hookers
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Dave King:

"...the dream is alive to hear that the Suns secured a lot of Bud on 4/20."

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2018 ... e-clifford

Some good nuggets in there about Clifford too.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:Dave King:

Excellent. Looks like the joint forces of McDonough and James Jones has allowed the Suns to weed out the lesser candidates and settle on a primary target.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:

Excellent. Looks like the joint forces of McDonough and James Jones has allowed the Suns to weed out the lesser candidates and settle on a primary target.
Well done! You even gave Mori a run for his money. OK, I'm off to eat. I think I have the munchies.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

You guys are fun. Really bad at jokes, but fun.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

carey wrote:

I, for one, am ready to roll with bud. He'd really help us reach the highest of highs with our potent crop of players.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.